PDA

View Full Version : Decisions... EK GLi or EG VTi??

mute
16-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Im currently in the process of selling my car and hopefully will have about $10k to buy a civic. I'm looking at the following models, both in manual.

EG VTi - Central Locking, Power Mirrors, Power Steering, Power Sunroof, Power Windows, Radio Cassette with 4 Speakers, 96kw
EK GLi - Airbag Driver, Central Locking, Power Mirrors, Power Steering, Power Windows, Radio Cassette with 4 Speakers, 88kw

So pretty much the EG has a sunroof, and the EK has a drivers airbag. EG also has a little more power, but the EK has a slightly nicer interior and is newer. I've heard of EG VTi's having airbags as well but only 1995 models? Is this correct?

So, which would you choose, and why? Help me decide! :D
Oh yeah, if i buy an EG i will have some left over $ for wheels and/or suspension.

**Ghost**
16-05-2005, 11:07 PM
buy the EK... in the end a much older car like the Eg will bring u age-reltaed problems... and do consider that in 6 months time... ur car will be 4 generations old...that is behind the EK-EU and whatever the next series is called... thats a bit old school dont u think?

mute
16-05-2005, 11:10 PM
Yeah exactly what i was thinking... im leaning towards the EK

Sedan or hatch though?

Vivski
16-05-2005, 11:17 PM
You're right, the 1995 EG VTi has a drivers airbag. I bought one about 2 months ago.
The EG is a great car. I adore mine. I haven't found any problems that I wouldn't expect to find in an EK GLi. If anything, maybe save up for a VTi-R.

It really depends on what you want from your car. But plenty of life left in a low km EG, don't worry 'bout that!

And just remember that if you get a car with an airbag, you can't put a sports steering wheel in it. You might prefer an airbag to a sports wheel anyway. Just something to consider.

**Ghost**
16-05-2005, 11:18 PM
i'm biased... i'm definitely going to say hatch

mute
16-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Performance doesnt bother me that much, im used to driving around a 1994 Impreza GX auto with 74kw, which is fine for my daily needs.

I don't want a sports steering wheel, would much rather an airbag.

EK Gli seems alright for me i think, then put some nicer wheels on it and fix the handling and should be a pretty fun little car:)

CRXY01
17-05-2005, 12:03 AM
EK GLi as it’s a newer car; if you’re not worried about performance it will be perfect. I much prefer the shape of the EK over EG, but that my opinion.

kvad
17-05-2005, 12:23 AM
depends on km's a lot as well but if its pretty much the same i'd get the eg personally as it has a vtec engine opposed to the ek gli.

egSi
17-05-2005, 06:59 AM
egs r a pretty good chassis but they r gettin a lil old school but that doesnt stop half the world from making them one of the most popular hatches.

without mentioning mods u plan on doin, id say eg if ur goin crazy if not ek ferio :thumbsup:

Terry
17-05-2005, 07:20 AM
i'd go for EG......some ppl say they may have age related problem......but i guess there is also less costly to fix...tons of aftermarket parts available..cheap to run and mod........but if i can choose i'd prefer 4dr EG vti with 2dr fount pumper and guard.....:D

PS:i feel my EK (EJ) is heavy......

aimre
17-05-2005, 08:52 AM
really depends on what u want from it.... and considering you want a hassel free daily driver. i'd say the EK
(thats pretty unbiased considering i do own a very trouble free EG)

civiceg9
17-05-2005, 10:17 AM
The last model of the EG come out in 95, but if it is in good condition get that. Performance wise the engine is more powerful and not that fuel saving VTEC. The car is also lighter and comes with a factory sunroof.

Go for the EG :D

Civ_97
17-05-2005, 11:26 AM
id go EK solely cause they are a better lookin car and also they have the airbag which is always good to have if shit hits the fan

bennjamin
17-05-2005, 11:37 AM
id go EK solely cause they are a better lookin car and also they have the airbag which is always good to have if shit hits the fan

Hmm. Bias'd opinion as the EG too is a "better" looking car and later comes with airbag. Cheaper too :)

merr.
17-05-2005, 12:08 PM
i had the same decision. The Ek hatch or EG sedan? in the end i chose the EG.
I don't mind the EK i was very close to getting it. But i wanted a sedan, it was cheaper in every way. Mine has an airbag as well =)

If u want a newer car, go for the EK.
Otherwise the EG if you want the extra money left over. Just think about what mods you could do with that money. hehehe.

fusion_VTi
17-05-2005, 12:30 PM
the only thing the ek has going for it is it's newer, go the EG dude :D

Vivski
17-05-2005, 12:53 PM
I prefer the looks of the EG. And you might find there's a little more room in the backseat. I may be wrong there, but all my passengers note how much room I've got for a hatch.

And I'd definitely go the hatch, but that's 'cos I'm a hatch fan... also piss easy to park.

In the end, get either one. Whichever is a better deal... price, kms, condition, sound system, wheels, etc. Both are pretty similar for the purpose you want it for. If getting the EG, I'd try to get a '95 if you want an airbag.

dc2dc2dc2
17-05-2005, 01:05 PM
personally i prefer the looks of the EK newer shape etc. but yeah its all on u , looks like its pretty mcuh 50/50 in here.

aimre
17-05-2005, 01:09 PM
thing it, he mainly wants it for a daily driver... a newer car should be more hassel free.
even though i do prefer the EG (hence y i got one)

[R]
17-05-2005, 01:21 PM
considering everything.. id generally say new car better choice..

but eg's are just so reliable and for that price you can have extra to play with.

in the end it depends on what you want..

im not saying the ek's aren't as good..

i rate them both quite well.. but i lean more towards eg just for cost efficiency..

knowing me id want that extra money for parts etc......

mines on 196k clicks and still running as good as new :)

Lukezen27
17-05-2005, 07:50 PM

You most be joking right?

EG shape is by far the better looking of the two

UK car Mag CAR said ""the EK shape is by far the most boring and bland shape to date""

I love EG’s

That's what I think anyway

mute
17-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Pretty hard to decide :)

Once i sell my car im just gonna take both for a drive, see which i like better - then as soon as i find a good deal i'll get it, weather it be an eg or ek, probbaly hatch i think :)

Lukezen27
17-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Pretty hard to decide :)

Once i sell my car im just gonna take both for a drive, see which i like better - then as soon as i find a good deal i'll get it, weather it be an eg or ek, probbaly hatch i think :)

Man has to be hatch baby :p :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: