PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust recommendation for coupe?

dudeling7
17-05-2005, 09:33 PM
Heya, im thinking of getting a cat back exhaust for my D16y8 coupe and was wondering what size piping would be optimal. Ive searched and seen many people wih b16a's go 2.25 but what about d16 sohc vtec??

I would like to stay legal noise wise. Would a 2.25 press bent system be alright? And what size muffler? i dont want annoyingly loud, but would like some top end gains and reasonable sound. Thanks Heaps!

CRXY01
17-05-2005, 11:07 PM
How much money are u willing to spend??

What are your plans for the car (ie. NA, Turbo)

You can get cheaper systems made my your local exhaust shop but they may not be proven product (ie. Power gains may not be the best). And use a cheaper muffler.

Or your could use a proven muffler brand (ie Mugen, Spoon etc)

Or a complete system from a recognised tuning company.

Terry
17-05-2005, 11:46 PM
if your car is auto, i'd advice you dont change high flow cat.......since it just lose touque without much power gain......N1 style muffler is loud particula if u use stock header......but u can enjoy the vtec sounds:D If u look for something quiet....you can choose the Mugen style muffler......EGsi have it and i think is quiet.......i got 4-2-1 header and my car is the same spec as you.....personally i think header is very important since touque from SOHC Vtec is not strong.......

2" or 2.25" is really not a big deal for your car.......press bend exhaust arnt that bad....so i'd suggest u go for press bend and save up some money for strut bar or sth..:D

dudeling7
18-05-2005, 07:14 AM
I dont think i will be getting much gains from my car and it is auto so ill probably stick with press bent for now.

Maybe if it ends up being too loud i old get a mugen replica and see how that goes. Does the high flow cat really make you loose low down torque?

I plan on doing a auto>manual conversion or engine swap in the future but staying NA becaus of insurance.

Thanks for the helps guys anyone else got opinions?

egSi
18-05-2005, 07:18 AM
hi flow cats r very good, u dont loose anything, u gain LOL

Qwooootz
18-05-2005, 08:23 AM
SOrry to budge it dudeling, if youz will know how much a high flow cat will go for for a b16a2, what does it actually do,

CRXY01
18-05-2005, 10:23 AM
As you are keen to stay NA 2.25 should be a good size to use, if you’re after some thing that’s quiet steer clear of the canon style muffler.

High flow cat’s sell for around the $200 mark depends on the brand, as they increase flow it increases power and torque.

samsider
18-05-2005, 10:28 AM
2.5 all the way through