PDA

View Full Version : HD Clutch

Fro-Daddy
19-05-2005, 06:52 AM
hey all, when test driving a civic last night, it had a HD clutch, it was soft to press to the point where its free and can change gears n stuff (about 1/4 of the full pushing distance, but then the other 3/4 was really hard to push...any reason for this? ive heard that some HD clutches act the same as a standard clutch in weight but just bite harder...is there any way i can make it like that??

Boost
19-05-2005, 09:03 AM
HD clutch especially brass button is heavy to press.. easly noticable compared to standard clutch...

SPEEDCORE
19-05-2005, 11:15 AM
Someone please clear this up for me....

I have always been under the assumption that the actual type of friction plate has nothing to do with the force required to push the clutch pedal down, moreso the result of the pressure plate and its clamping force. ie. stiffer sprung so harder to push down on.

Fro-Daddy
19-05-2005, 11:51 AM
will it wear in? is there any easy way to change it without making the clutch not as good?

Fro-Daddy
19-05-2005, 08:02 PM
the weirdest thing is a quarter of it is soft and the rest you need to nearly stomp on :P

Weq
20-05-2005, 06:16 PM

I have always been under the assumption that the actual type of friction plate has nothing to do with the force required to push the clutch pedal down, moreso the result of the pressure plate and its clamping force. ie. stiffer sprung so harder to push down on.

stiffness is caused by pressureplate, harsh engagement is caused by pressure plate material and design

tegstar83
20-05-2005, 06:59 PM
It should be consistent all the way through not just at the end

MoonSha
24-05-2005, 05:41 AM
mines stiff at the friction point and easy when it's further in. Get used to it very fast.

TODA AU
24-05-2005, 06:49 AM

I can speak for the products I sell...

The Exedy HD clutch uses a 28% increase in clamping load.
The friction disc is the same as stock.
There is an increase in pedal effort & torque holding ability.
These clutches are manufactured in Exedy's Melbourne plant.

The Exedy HD button clutch uses this same 28% increased clamp load clutch cover & combines it with a 4~5 puc paddle clutch.
The friction material is an aggressive metalic compound & the centre of the clutch is solid unless a cushion button is ordered
(SPL order only)
Due to the aggressive take up, high friction material, the name button has stuck.
These clutches are manufactured in Exedy's Melbourne plant.

The Exedy Sports Organic clutches use a clever redesign of the clutch cover that offers increased clamp load without increased pedal pressure.
The organic material of the friction disc offers greater friction, longer life & greater durability under extreems of abuse.
For someone who uses their car as a daily driver, this is the best choice.
Capable of regular abuse on the track / strip.
This clutch successfully avoids the pitfalls ascociated with HD aftermarket clutches.
Made in Japan

The Exedy Sports Ceramic clutches use the same clever design of clutch cover as the Sports organic range.
With a sprung centre, 3 puc ceramic friction disc, these are the ultimate in street / strip clutches.
They are easier to drive than the button range, with a smooth, yet aggressive take up.
The friction point is well defined & easy for most people to become acustomed to.
Though they can be tireing in heavy traffic, are ideal for cars that don't see daily use & often see the track.
Made in Japan

The Race organic & ceramic clutches are for circuit cars.
(TODA well balanced flywheel & clutch kits included)
Using a light weight friction disc (less inertia) makes this clutch ideally suited for repeaded & sustained high rpm shifting. (Track cars)
As the friction material & disc carries less total mass, this clutch is not recomended for street cars.
(It works really well, but poor drivers tend to wear them quickly. That said, good drivers get great life out of them.)
Of not, though similar looking, the race discs & covers are not interchangeable with Sports clutches.
(Disc thickness & cover drop height changed)
Pedal effort is the same as the sports range.
(Same clever regesigned spring is used)
Made in Japan

Beyond these, you have the TODA Hi Power Single clutches & EXEDY Hyper Single clutches. Then a few multi plate clutches for maximum hp turbo applications. These are not recomended for low hp street application.
Hope that helps,
Cheers

Adrian

SPEEDCORE
24-05-2005, 02:09 PM
stiffness is caused by pressureplate, harsh engagement is caused by pressure plate material and design

This is exactly how I thought it was..... thanks. :thumbsup:

Thanks Adrian for the run down on those clutch kits also.:thumbsup:

bennjamin
24-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Remember too guys - above anything its best to have fresh clutch fluid running through your hydraulic lines for best clutch engagement/disengagement too :)

To the original poster, the fluid might of been contaminated or havign air bubbles inside etc. AFAIK , the "press" of a clutch should be consistent all the way to the firewall.