PDA

View Full Version : 18's on my ek

siba
19-05-2005, 07:42 PM
hey guys,
im looking at some 18inch chrome rims for my ek civic coupe, i have searched to see if any1 has covered it and cant find anyhtin so does anyone have sudgestions on this? experience? advice ect..

i was told that if the wheels size bigger than stock this will throw out the speedo becuause the wheeks takes longer to go around or something!! is this true? and one had this experience? advice ect..

cheers

Fro-Daddy
19-05-2005, 08:01 PM
hey man, this exact thing was covered not long ago at all (maybe a week or so)...ive seen 19's fitted, but you may have to get your guards rolled and may only be able to lower it a certain amount...any decent wheel shop will tell ya

use this to calculate how much your speedo will be out (all to do with rolling diameter)

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

MR-VTEC
19-05-2005, 08:07 PM
good to see you've taken the time to research your question before starting a new thread, and it is also good to see your using paragraphs now.:thumbsup:

well as to your question, i have seen many civics running 18's and they look good especially if thats the style you like. you will be able to fit them no problem, its just the width you have to worry about but you will be able to get wheels to suit quite easily.

as for your speedo, yes it will be thrown out a little, but not much. you can always get this recalibrated if it is something your really concerned about.

one thing you might want to consider aswell is the fact that 18's will be heavier, tyres will cost alot more and your low speed acceleration will be affected.

questions you may want to consider will be -
what is your budget?
what kind of driving do you like to do?
what style you like, show or go?
what are your future plans for your car?

thinking about the answers to these questions will ultimately help you decide on what wheels will be best suited to your needs and likes.:)

hope that helps.

siba
19-05-2005, 08:38 PM
yer cheers man, um the 18s i was looking at were $1999 so i dunno if people think this is a good price for a set of vault savanah or vault krystal??(havnt decided yet)
im not sure what my driving style is i guess its normal if that makes any sence.
i would like a bit of show and go but i really like the fact of my car being turboed or something so i guess thats 1 of my future plans, also im getting a front bumper put on my car il post pics when it gets done same with the exhaust.

i was just curious as to how much it will cost to get the gaurds rolled if its needed. if people think the mags i have choses arnt any good could you give me some advice as to how i would go about looking for the right mag ect for my car.

cheers

J-MuN
20-05-2005, 01:09 AM
boOooOoo... dont chrome the coupe up... :thumbdwn: my opinion only.. :p

wat colour your car??... go white 18's....

--eskimo-eg--
20-05-2005, 01:15 AM
getting your guards rolled might gonna cost u ard $50 each guard, try to ask some workshops and compare prices,

as for 18", im with u man, but your choices of wheels, im not too sure, try to go for sumthing more subtle and not too extreme, my advice is go for lowenhart LDR replica, saw in autosalon magazine, a workshop in syd has them in stock, im sure your car will look freakin hot w these wheels

Q_ball
20-05-2005, 01:20 AM
all depends on wat ur car looks like...
show us pics, then our verdicts can b justified!

siba
20-05-2005, 10:53 PM
ok kool, my cars dark green metallic nothing fancy but the paint job is in good nic.
how do i post pics on here??

Terry
21-05-2005, 12:59 AM
18" on a vti.......they are bloody heavy....u dont be able to move~

ian
21-05-2005, 08:58 PM
I have 18's on my civic coupe running on very low 35 series profile tyres.
My car is lowered with springs and I havent had to roll my guards (depends on how low you go).
Your speedo will only be out by a very small amount (not really noticeable).
There will be an increased rotational mass, slowing down your acceleration.
I think large rims do look impressive, although it may impede on performance.
Compromise style and handling by going half way.........16"?
All up to what you want too see and feel in the end.
Goodluck.

J-MuN
21-05-2005, 09:09 PM
obviously go 18's for looks... and thats the only reason u buy 18s...

steve
21-05-2005, 09:23 PM
be sure chromies r the style u want 2 go... nearly all 'show' cars r running sum sort of jap racer style rims now...

Styles like the vault designs are pretty old now 2, n there'd be nothin worse than shellin out 2g's 4 sumthin u'll be sick of in a couple of months time:rolleyes:

Any way u choose tho, make sure u post sum pics!!!:)

siba
21-05-2005, 11:44 PM
cheers buds thanx for the imputs n stuff think i might go 17's cos i still want the bigger wheel look but would prefer to have better performance than looks so when i find some good 17s n get em put on ill post some pics.
cheers (keep coments on what are good 17's coming, need help deciding)

J-MuN
22-05-2005, 12:26 AM
need pics of ur car dude... and how much u wanna spend.... that would be beneficial... ;)