PDA

View Full Version : CVT-7 use

uetecu
20-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Is accelerating whilst shifting up/down bad in any way for the CVT system?

JazzR
20-05-2005, 03:22 PM
i would like to know the answer aswell.

I think it would if you overuse it.

Normally i just drive normal in D mode.

racinghonda
20-05-2005, 04:03 PM
I think if it was bad then the ECU would ignore you pressing those +/- buttons. I do it. Its fine the CVT is just doing its normal thing.

uetecu
20-05-2005, 06:26 PM
I think if it was bad then the ECU would ignore you pressing those +/- buttons. I do it. Its fine the CVT is just doing its normal thing.
There are lots of bad things you can do a car which the ECU wont do anything like revving the crap out of it on a cold engine.

I guess the real question is does it cause wear and tear on any of the components?

Jus-10
20-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Is accelerating whilst shifting up/down bad in any way for the CVT system?

Short answer - NO

The "gear changes" aren't gear changes as a CVT does do not have gears in the normal sense. The "gear changes" are simply electronically programmed so that you can experience the manual driving sensation. So as the "gear changes" are electronically controlled, no you can't do any damage if you are driving normally because it is all being controlled and monitored by the ecu.

You don't have "7 speed" transmissions. Just 7 specifically programmed ratios within a technically possible infinite number of posible ratios available with the CVT design....

racinghonda
20-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Just have fun with it dude!!

dc
21-05-2005, 10:00 AM
it might not have normal gears but remember its driven by pulleys and a steel belt which is still subject to wear and tear. I should think cvt mode is more 'gearbox' friendly since its a smoother transition between infinite ratios whereas 7speed is a sudden change to whatever discrete ratio. Having said that...forget abt it and like he said just have fun.

maybe even try launching it?
disclaimer: j/k