PDA

View Full Version : b16a a little smokey

shep9ky
20-05-2005, 09:11 PM
hey guys again another question
i hadnt driven my car for about 1 week just fired her up and there is a little bit more smoke coming from the exhaust than i remember there being before
just basically asking if anyone else has had this problem with their b16a?
what caused it?
how much will it cost to get it running without the smoke?

thanks guys
and sorry bout all the questions

DCLXVI
21-05-2005, 01:30 AM
probably some condensation, since u hadnt drove for a week..

garett
21-05-2005, 05:26 PM
if it is legitimate smoke... meaning its really noticable find out what whats burning.. if its oil and if it is you will know oil smells like shit when it burns and the smoke will be a blue colour, another way to tell if its burning oil if its going down quickly when you check the dip stick

if its oil burning it could be one of a few things
a) valve stem seals are shagged and need to be replaced, so a head overhaul is needed prolly bout a grand ish
b) piston rings are shagged and need to be replaced prolly about 2500, these are the worse case scenarios, they are costly as the labour on these kinds of repairs is long and tedious all prices will vary depending on first of all who does the work and what parts are replaced in the mean time

all cars burn oil, even if its a tiny bit so dont stress too much, start worrying when you have to top it up all the time and smoke spews out the exhaust.

J-MuN
21-05-2005, 07:10 PM
yeh wat garett said but most likely its cos u havent driven it for a while...

shep9ky
21-05-2005, 11:40 PM
just went for a pretty hard drive and their was no smoke from the exhuast at all
thanks guys for your help
im so glad it wasnt anything that garret said that post scared the sh*t out of me man
hahaha

garett
22-05-2005, 08:26 PM
sorry dude!

nah its definately nothing to worry about then
happy driving mate
!

CONAN
23-05-2005, 09:33 PM
my exhaust spits out a purpley smoke when vtec comes on
not alot, but a little but its noticeable?

should i be worried about it?

BlitZ
24-05-2005, 01:44 PM
i puff smoke too on vtec engagement...
i reckon it just the carbon build up in the cat at lower revs adn when u kane it.. the carbon gets flushed out...

besides b series are known to run rich... high flow cats will proabably also catch less carbon...

just my 2 cetns i could be completely wrong

vti-r teg
24-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Nah i'm pretty sure most b series engines when they hit vtec will let out a puff of smoke. just normal, if it smokes all the time then you have issues

Setanta
24-05-2005, 05:51 PM
The puff of smike is usually excess fuel I've found.

BTW - I now have 290,000kms on my 1990 B16A - the motor has never been stripped down, only valve adjustments - and I still do not burn oil :)

saxman
24-05-2005, 06:29 PM
worth adding...

if your valve seals are going, you'll generally notice a puff of smoke on deceleration/when you let off the gas

piston rings show up as smoke coming out of the oil cap/pcv hole if you open them up

b16's puffing a bit at vtec is quite common

AF1
24-05-2005, 10:09 PM
The puff of smike is usually excess fuel I've found.

Yep, my previous car was smoking heaps brown shit when ever i was gassing it, took it down to Midas for a servise and they found there was a leak in the air hose, engine getting more fuel than needed, patched it up and everything was sweet.