PDA

View Full Version : AEM v2 Intake VS Injen CAI

bubblecivic
21-05-2005, 10:00 AM
Which would you guys recommend for the DC5R?
They are roughly the same price and which would be better then the other?
Or should I be considering another intake? I'm not thinkin of spending big $$ for intakes like Mugen Grouppem and the like.

Your opinions?

ek004
21-05-2005, 10:26 AM
never tried either intake.

but id trust TODAAU's judgement and go the injen.

sugapopcandy
21-05-2005, 10:29 AM
go for INJEN!!!!!!!!!

sangsational
21-05-2005, 08:31 PM
depends what you want to achieve.

CAI: top end power, no heat soak, ideal for drag
SRI: better throttle response, heat soak, better than CAI for track
Airbox (such as Mugen, Gruppem): even better throttle response, minimal heat soak, best for track.

FunkyR
21-05-2005, 10:57 PM
Mmmm I reckon Injen.....

BiGANG
22-05-2005, 01:01 AM
my mate is putting a AEM cai on his car soon, ill let you know if he is happy. it wont be much of a comparison to the injen though.

SiR JDM
22-05-2005, 02:35 AM
I beleive both are quality intakes (however my judgment is based on 3rd party opinions)

I have a friend with an AEM intake on his Corolla and another friend with one on his h22a Prelude. Both swore substancial gains.

I also have a friend with a Vti-R integra dc2 with an INJEN CAI, and he found responce to increase as well as top end power, and sound of course. And after reading Adrians review of the Injen I too beleive its a quality system.

As i dind't have the pleasure of driving both before the intake install, i cannot provide my own conclusions, especially as to comparisons, but like I said, i beleive they are both quality intakes.

I think you should be questioning avilablilty as well. Which can you get easier and at what cost (if thats an issue).

My 2c.

MrThanh
22-05-2005, 12:17 PM
go for the injen if you're getting the CAI. the AEM is very fiddly as you have to relocate your washer bottle. Injen comes supplied with its own washer bottle. there is a slight loss in throttle response, but you can really feel it after 3krpm

edw-R
22-05-2005, 02:26 PM
I would like to go injen. But if i have enough budget, i will go mugen.

JRC
22-05-2005, 07:42 PM
i have a v2 on my teggy.... but ive never seen an injen system......so in comparsion i dont know...

but in terms of putting it on it is a bit of a painful job but it sits nicely sounds good and has given me decent gain for just the intake system...

so i would recommend this system to anyone

CRXY01
22-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Has any one got a photo of the Injen system fitted, if so I would really like to see it thanks!

Vinh
22-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Ive just put an the injen IS series in my dc2 just about a month ago. Its great value for money performance wise and has a good sound imo. AEM i have never come across so i cant vouch for it. Hopefully in the next few days i can get a pic up for ya

Tofu
22-05-2005, 09:54 PM
i had an Injen CAI for my dc5...it's a great system
i would get Injen above AEM, because of what MrThanh has said, AEM washerbottle relocation is a pain in the ASS!!....Injen provided washer bottle is of awsome quality!

but...you're refering to the AEM V2 intake...in this case, i would for sure get the AEM V2. Now that my Injen CAI is gone, i will get a V2 over the Injen.
Reason --> ease of install, no worries whatsoever about water being sucked up, might give you better throttle responce.

Reasons not to have the V2 --> at any stage coppers sees an exposed air filter element...$5000 fine!...Yes, despite what others say, this is writen somewhere in a traffic rule book

but, if money allows, MUGEN!

DaViSoN
22-05-2005, 11:02 PM
Just installed a AEM V2 into a prelude today. They look very goodand sound alright too... havent seen an injen yet so cant say.

Be looking forward to seeing yours vinh

JRC
22-05-2005, 11:04 PM
another thing bout the v2 in my dc2 is that you cant actually see the filter element from the engine bay...all you see is long piping which can always be a plus when dealing with the coppers

thanh
23-05-2005, 12:58 AM
Well my opinion would be Injen.. i gain 10kws atw from Injen (dc2r), correct me if im wrong but dc5r will give you more kws (your looking around 14kws atw).

Suck in colder air, it really really screams but at the same time becareful of water when driving in wet wheather.

Its a major bling bling but beware of defect.

spoondc2
23-05-2005, 01:35 AM
How much difference of the price for both?

tegstar83
23-05-2005, 02:00 AM
Well my opinion would be Injen.. i gain 10kws atw from Injen (dc2r), correct me if im wrong but dc5r will give you more kws (your looking around 14kws atw).

Suck in colder air, it really really screams but at the same time becareful of water when driving in wet wheather.

Its a major bling bling but beware of defect.

10KWS ATW???? WTF Are u for real?
If thats so first mod im buying for my R is an Injen CAI

franki
23-05-2005, 07:53 AM
im in sydney and i was going to get an injen cai from autojoy at parramatta. they were $530 or sumthing like that. i said to him if i order it 2day and come down and pay you can u do it for $450 and he said yes. didnt end up gettn it tho, had bills to pay

hong_ung
23-05-2005, 09:30 AM
5 grand for an open air filter...damn thats an expensive mod if u gt caught...go mugen!

bubblecivic
23-05-2005, 09:36 AM
Oh shit I never knew the fine was like that!

But doesn't both of them have an exposed air filter?

I've searched the forum and maybe getting the Injen from that portza.com website from the US. But $450 in Aus is pretty decent.

thanh
23-05-2005, 12:16 PM
$450 for a Injen cold air intake system is cheap!.. i had to pay $550.
The Injen sits right infront of your right wheel. You cant see the air filter, you can only see the crazy pipes under the hood.

Good Luck.
Drive safely

thanh
23-05-2005, 12:18 PM
Also do a search and you'll find a picture of the Injen!

bubblecivic
23-05-2005, 12:30 PM
Just like to confirm, they both have piping towards the front of the car right?

If so, why wouldn't water go into the AEM v2 like the Injen?

MrThanh
23-05-2005, 04:45 PM

dc5's engine is pretty much mounted backwards. filter sits close to the firewall.

You cant see any piping at all with the DC5. theres just a big gaping space where the airbox used to be.

ignore the circles...
http://www.thanh.greenacreliquorstax.com/images/groundingkit/ground1.jpg

BF
23-05-2005, 10:54 PM
I believe Adrian (TODA_AU) has dynoed the Injen on the DC5R and the results looked very promising. I believe it was an amazing 10kw atw. Bearing in mind, I hope, all the problems with using dyno figures, this is still an impressive gain!

ah8118
23-05-2005, 11:13 PM
go for the injen man.. they are the sh#t!!!

franki
24-05-2005, 08:19 AM
my intake manifold looks different, mines like alloy. is that an aftermarket manifold or jdm k20a :honda:

integraz
24-05-2005, 01:27 PM
thanh has a base integra ie non type r
hence him having the plastic cover on the intake mainfold is different to the type-r
type r - single runner [for real vtec]
base integra -dual runners for low end torque

Tofu
24-05-2005, 08:56 PM

the AEM V2 for the DC5 is contained within the engine bay
that being said, it still dynoed the same increase in power compared to the Injen CAI

easier to install, no chance of water going in, same power gain, easy choice really...