PDA

View Full Version : Gearboxes

furiou5
21-05-2005, 10:17 PM
Hi guys im fitting a B16/18 hybrid into my EK, and i'm looking at picking up a gear box, I've found a list of b series gear boxes.

Two questions for all of yall,

1. Whats the differences between a hydro and a cable gear box?
any pro's or con's for each?

2. Has any one had any experience with a Y1. With a final ratio of 4.266 would it go well with the hybrid.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

ekslut
21-05-2005, 11:15 PM
you can only use a cable gearbox if you have a B16A engine, if you have a B18C or B16A2 then use a hydro gearbox. You can get cable - hydro conversion kit though if you want to use a hydro gearbox on a cable engine, Hasport make them.

Actually I have never really thought about it before. Is it the car or the engine that decides which type gearbox you use?

Final drive of 4.2 is fairly low, usually on handa's your better off to changing to something higher like 4.7

shep9ky
21-05-2005, 11:25 PM
not all b16a engines use cable gearbox
like mine for example i have b16a2
i know that the older b16a's have cable and im not sure when they changed it
i would go with the itr gearbox and a heavy duty clutch, lightened flywheel etc
probably the cheapest way to go aswell

shep9ky
21-05-2005, 11:32 PM
its cable clutch not cable gearbox aswell im pretty sure
please anyone correct me if im wrong
also i have read the specs of a few hybrids same as your or similar and they almost always used the itr gearbox

wynode
21-05-2005, 11:48 PM
- 4.7 FD is the ITR Final Drive
- I would just stick with a hydro clutch (hydro vs cable only reffers to how the clutch is operated, but there 'may' be differences in the input shaft splines...possibly)
- Try and get a ITR gearbox with LSD if you can.......otherwise a b16a2 box

furiou5
22-05-2005, 02:39 AM
yeah thanks for the help, just thort that the 4.2 final drive might mean quicker acceleration, plus the cable gear boxes go for a fairly cheap price.

SiR JDM
22-05-2005, 02:56 AM
cable gearboxes will be harder to find id asume as for b-series engines they were only in production for bout 3 years? (confirm?) 88-91 SIRs from the EF series (EF8/EF9)?

If you have the money, you can do all your FD/LSD later on using aftermarket gearing such as ATS 4.929 and aftermarket LSD such as "Quaife LSD" .. just another option if you find you want a higher FD or need an LSD, you can see how you go without both for starters?

ekslut
22-05-2005, 09:46 AM
yeah thanks for the help, just thort that the 4.2 final drive might mean quicker acceleration, plus the cable gear boxes go for a fairly cheap price.

it goes the other way, the lower you go the more top end you get. And the higher you go the quicker the acceleration. therefore 4.7 would have much better acceleration than a 4.2, but you will loose out on some topend.

oh and by the way shep9ky, I did mention in my first post that the B16A2 does use a hydro gearbox. And clable clutch/gearbox is the same thing. The clutch is activated by the cable, but its got to do with the gearbox too. You can't just chuck a clutch made for a hydro gearbox into cable geabox, it won't work. You need to change the whole gearbox.