PDA

View Full Version : respraying steelies.

n/a
22-05-2005, 08:47 PM
anyone know the best way to respray stock steelies to a gloss black &/or matt black without blemishes or uneven layers?

and what spray to use?

GSI-PSI
23-05-2005, 12:03 AM
yer get it done professionally

n/a
23-05-2005, 04:30 PM
yer get it done professionally

is it really necessary? isn't it a simple job?

**Ghost**
23-05-2005, 09:46 PM
what i did:

1. Thoroughly Wash your wheels, using mineral turpentine to remove any polish

2. using a VERY VERY VERY light grit sandpaper hand sand the wheels

3. spray on clear primer

4.spray on the paint... best way to do this is in an enclosed room, if there is wind, u'll end up with uneven spots on the paint... (wear a mask dude)

n/a
24-05-2005, 12:03 AM
cheers ghost. what primer do i need to use though?

QikCivic
25-05-2005, 01:14 AM
man it's preety straight forward, do a search and you will have no probs

**Ghost**
25-05-2005, 03:19 AM
go to autobarn... buy some generic clear primer

If u want durability in ur paint then use "Extra Tough EpoxY"... its the shit they use to spray the bottom of ute trays... but only available in flat black...this stuff tho, NEVER chips... i went to change my tyres and they put it through that amchine... it didnt even leave a mark

for any other ur stuck with using normal enamels/acylics/etc... and they WILL flake off... spray some hardcoat (autobarn or model/hobby store) and it SHOUDL help a bit...

n/a
25-05-2005, 12:46 PM
thanks for that, do i need to spray a clear layer of something once i've done spraying the final coat? i've used some random gloss black spray paint, nothing special.

slim
25-05-2005, 03:45 PM
i did mine in matt black pretty easy job. But i dont like calling them steelies, i call them Japticeptors lol.

**Ghost**
25-05-2005, 05:11 PM
i left mine matt black so no i didnt use anything after spraying it on... u only need an after-coat if u used enamels or acrylic based paints

btw for those ppl who are REALLY pedantic what u can do is get a couple of spotlights or a heatgun, etc etc...to heat up ur wheels before u spray it on... not the point where the paint will bubble when it hits the hot service, but just so that the paint would be more "sticky" and dry more evenly, i did this on my old rims by leaving em out in the summer sun for 30 minutes before the first coat... worked wonders

n/a
25-05-2005, 05:54 PM
just worried about the paint flaking/peeling off. i've used an etched primer, would that be good enough?

i've sprayed the 1st layer already, looking good, how many coats do you reckon i'd need?

Petronas
14-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread...

Was thinking of doing the wheels on my civic... (Dun want to fork our too much money on my first car, gonna hopefully get the Lude nxt year)

Is there a specific paint called "matt black" or is matt black something else? (Yeah I'm noob I know)

Edit: Would I have to take the tire off the rim?

haiz
14-08-2006, 09:03 PM
duno about a specific paint called "matt black", but when i sprayed my stockies black i just sprayed them with $2 cans of Black spraypaint and o didnt use the clearcoat at the end and it turned out mattblack, which was wat i was aiming for. using the clearcoat makes the paintwork turn out glossy

tRipitaka
14-08-2006, 09:19 PM
taking them off your car will make it an easier job..
you don't really want to be spraying your calipers/brakes along with your lug nuts..

just buy the cheapest primer/paint from bunnings.. generic shit.

i got my rims done for under 25 bucks.. and 5-6 hours of work.. (including time for need for speed underground)

and that was 7 cans of gloss black paint, with a can of primer ?

EDIT:
sorry, just saw that you wrote the tyre off the rim rather than the rims off..

no, you don't have to.. the paint will just flake off after a while..

crispy
14-08-2006, 09:39 PM
7 cans?? far out man, i just sprayed the insides of all 4 of my wheels (left the face polished) with one can of 400g Wheel paint. Still got some left over! Although i spose i was merely covering an already black surface with more black to make my wheels look newer.

But yeh all you need is an etch primer, if you really feel the need go over the etch with a grey primer, and then use your paint of choice. Any automotive Acrylic is fine, extra tough epoxy or chassis black will last much longer, but if they are just steelies, do the tRipitaka way and save some time and money

tRipitaka
14-08-2006, 09:40 PM
hmm.. i guess 7 cans was overkill..

i started off with 1can per rim.. then on my second coat about 2/3's a can per rim..

but it turned out really good.. until i gutter bashed it -_-

Petronas
15-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Thanks guys, gonna do them this weekend... And I just found out I can see my calipers through the steelies, so gonna do them red... (Might as well.. may look a little ricer but what the hell...)

Umm one more question, what kind of paint do I use? Is there specific 'wheel paint' or just plain general automotive black (Whithout the clearcoat) paint?

haiz
15-08-2006, 03:47 PM
well i just used the some spray cans i picked up from supercheap auto for like $6 each i think it was (dont think it was any specific paint) if you want to see how mine turned out just ask me.

as for the calipers best bet would be to get the High Temperature Paint or the brake caliper paint (yes, there is a specific paint for calipers), just go to any auto store and ask them, they'll show ya.

tRipitaka
15-08-2006, 05:09 PM
well i just used the some spray cans i picked up from supercheap auto for like $6 each i think it was (dont think it was any specific paint) if you want to see how mine turned out just ask me.

as for the calipers best bet would be to get the High Temperature Paint or the brake caliper paint (yes, there is a specific paint for calipers), just go to any auto store and ask them, they'll show ya.
u got ripped haiz lol.

bunnings generic shit is like 2-3 bucks a can :p

haiz
15-08-2006, 05:18 PM
shuddup bong :p

i only used like 2 cans for all 4 wheels anyway so it worked out about the same as 6-7 cans of paint.

tRipitaka
15-08-2006, 05:20 PM
shuddup bong :p

i only used like 2 cans for all 4 wheels anyway so it worked out about the same as 6-7 cans of paint.
that's cos i did it at Chuoty Co.

haiz
15-08-2006, 07:14 PM
that's cos i did it at Chuoty Co.

lol ohh now why didnt u say so? :p

Petronas
27-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Finally got around to starting my weekend project (No work because of the GAS Shooting, yay!)

Decided only to start with the front because... I don't know why... Anyway heres the pic after the second coat of paint...

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8417/img0245qe0.jpg

phantom_civic
27-08-2006, 06:06 PM
how hard was it to mask up the tires?
everytime I tried it, the tape / newspaper would slip off.

Petronas
27-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Just used news paper and normal box tape (the wide Plastic brown tape).

Only little parts of the tape were actually touching the tire. So far it's holding on fine.

Next coat in 1 hour :)...

Petronas
06-09-2006, 08:52 PM
http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/6023/img0199by0.jpg
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/6538/img0200ir5.jpg

n/a
07-09-2006, 01:30 AM

are you using $2 shop masking tape? it's really easy. if you're not using a heavy gloss spray or an enamel clear coat there's no need to cover up the tyres, it'll eventually just flake off.

obsessionz
17-09-2006, 06:43 PM
lol buy some wheels dont be tight cant believe spraying steelies ... haha