PDA

View Full Version : different head and block conversion help

siba
22-05-2005, 10:29 PM
hey buds, just a question would it be cheeper to get a B18C block and a B16A2 head?? i dont know heaps about where the power mainly comes from in an engine so if something like this sorta conversion that produce a good amount of killowatts is cappable of making in a not so high budget please let me know!
cheers

saxman
23-05-2005, 02:37 PM
b18b block with b16 head I can see, but why b18c block and b16 head? seems like you'd be taking a step backwards

siba
23-05-2005, 06:02 PM
i saw it in a hot4s mag a guy had around 200kw with it and a turbo it was on a eg sedan. i just thought this might be a cheaper way of putting a better engine in my car.

Perry
23-05-2005, 11:32 PM
ur talkin about the EG plates XTEC or sumthing like that right, wat is ur budget first for the convesion then i can tell u wats worth doing or not ?

sivic
24-05-2005, 01:23 AM
a lot of ppl feel the B16 head provides better performance over the B18C(Vtir) head so opt to use it for greater potential. obviosly the the B18 block provides the greater torque due to its larger displacement as well the potential for higher power.
i cant confirm this- but i have heard that mating the B16 head onto the B18C block also results in a higher compression ratio than the stock B18C.
i'm sure someone could give the :thumbsup: or :thumbdwn: on this.

a turboed specimen of an engine is not really a good comparitive point if you are looking to just do a swap.
and in regards to whats cheaper, of course swapping in a B18C is going to be cheaper than swapping in a B18C plus a B16 head swap

QikCivic
25-05-2005, 12:52 AM
i personally wouldn't bother sourcing a b18c block then a b16a head, just got for one or the other, and spend the money u would save on mods

LSD Motorsports
28-05-2005, 04:23 PM
a lot of ppl feel the B16 head provides better performance over the B18C(Vtir) head so opt to use it for greater potential. obviosly the the B18 block provides the greater torque due to its larger displacement as well the potential for higher power.
i cant confirm this- but i have heard that mating the B16 head onto the B18C block also results in a higher compression ratio than the stock B18C.
i'm sure someone could give the :thumbsup: or :thumbdwn: on this.

a turboed specimen of an engine is not really a good comparitive point if you are looking to just do a swap.
and in regards to whats cheaper, of course swapping in a B18C is going to be cheaper than swapping in a B18C plus a B16 head swap

Well the B18c actually has a smaller Combustion chamber then the b16, thus mating a b16 head on a b18c will have lower compression then a stock b18c. The b16 head does flow better and provides greater volumetric efficiency. however the b18a and b16 head is the way to go if your interested in a low budget high performance swap. Just make sure you have very good lubrication with your set up as the b18a/b blocks dont have squirters and have less piston dwell @ tdc. Thus having more sidewall forces then b16 blocks.
Cheers

wynode
28-05-2005, 08:54 PM
Agreed on the b18c/b16a (block/head) combination having lower compression.