PDA

View Full Version : b16a gearbox rebuild

Dvius_Honda
23-05-2005, 10:03 AM
I purchased a b16a gearbox (hydraulic) off someone from this forum which ended up being a piece of junk (even though I was told it was reconditioned). It works ok, as in it is smooth to drive and change gears etc, but it is noisy when idling with the clutch out and when down-gearing. I want to sell my car but obviously cant until this problem is fixed. The mechanics at honda have told me that it is likely the bearings have gone and so will require an overhaul. It only appears to be a smallish problem, however they said they would more or less have to replace everything as they cant just work out which bearing etc is stuffed. I was quoted $1500 (cost price) just for the parts to do the rebuild, not including labour. Just wondering if there is a cheaper way to do a b16a gearbox rebuild (ie source cheaper parts?) and if anyone has done one and how much they were charged?
I know it would probably be much cheaper and easier to get another gearbox from a wreckers (quoted $1k), but again it may have problems, and also I have forked out $800 for this gearbox already.

**Ghost**
23-05-2005, 10:06 AM
$1500?!? dude... thats way over teh top... are u in melbourne?

garett
23-05-2005, 10:25 AM
when you say noisy... is it just a slight variation in the sound
mine does this, its hardly noticeable... well mine is

my gearbox is in really good shape (touches wood) if it is selecting gears fine and still smooth then there is really no problem, i am not a person who turns a blind eye to problems but to spend 1500 on something which is simply going to make the gb probably no different seems un neccesary

ECU-MAN
23-05-2005, 10:16 PM
a good mechanic will be able to identify a bad bearing from a good one. most importantly a bad bearing race than a good one. its easer for them ( better insurance ) to make you replace all the bearings.

check out this link

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12789

Dvius_Honda
24-05-2005, 12:52 PM
Im in Adelaide.

The noise isnt overly bad. When the clutch is out you can hear like a rough whirring sound when idling, but when you put the clutch in it goes away (which points to the gearbox being the problem.) Also when im down-gearing in 1st and 2nd you can hear the noise too. Apart from that the gearbox is in pretty good condition, drives smoothly in higher gears and selects all gears fine. If i wasnt gonna sell the car I probably wouldnt bother fixing it, but I need to sell the car (I have already bought a new car) and I cant really sell it when its making funny noises.
I get all my work done at honda (family friends with local branch) and yeh, they seem to think to make sure the problem is fixed requires all the bearings being replaced. Does anyone interstate know of any good gearbox mechanics that can just change the bad bearing as I may be willing to ship the box interstate to get it fixed if the costs are reasonable?

Also thanks for the DIY link but im not a very good mechanic and wouldnt be confident trying it myself.

ProECU
24-05-2005, 01:04 PM
ECU_MAN is in Adelaide

Take it there

SIKCVC
24-05-2005, 01:21 PM
yeah take it to ECU_MAN, you'll probably find its a noisy thrust bearing. my mums 200SX had that, btu at least with her car its a couple hour job, not like on hondas :(

wynode
24-05-2005, 01:35 PM
ECU_MAN is in Adelaide

Take it there
As said.....once the gearbox is apart, you should be able to pick the bad bearing. It is most probably the Input Shaft Bearing + a few others that will have to be inspected.

ECU-MAN is your .......err ........man :D

BlitZ
24-05-2005, 05:02 PM
this noise sounds familiar..... me and my teg friend has a similar problem.. we never experienced the sound down shifting though...
if its the same as ours its nothing.. its just the release bearing.....

take note: no sounds on down shift...

when u tap the clutch in alittle the sound goes away, even though clutch was still not engaged (my instance)..

Limbo
24-05-2005, 07:47 PM
If your box shift ok it should be fine just change the bearing like everyone says, also might want to check the clutch, i know when my pressure plate was dying it made werid noises but that was intermit, otherwise maybe the person who put it back together didn't do a good job?

Weq
24-05-2005, 08:38 PM
throwout bearing. $20 to replace.

Dvius_Honda
24-05-2005, 08:58 PM
Cheers for everyones help. Clutch and associated parts are all new. Whirring sound goes away as soon as clutch is fully engaged. Hopefully isnt too expensive to get fixed!

CONAN
25-05-2005, 12:28 AM
how much would a type r gearbox cost to fit in your car?
if your looking at 1.5k, then wouldnt that be a better choice?

im have no expertise in this field, would a type r box even fit??

Dvius_Honda
25-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Yeh it would fit but trying to fix it so can sell it, not to improve it. Reconditioned gearbox is around $1k, but looks like I can get my other one fixed for cheaper:)

civiceg9
04-06-2005, 03:32 PM
the original clutch bearing is from NSK Japan
they cost about $50 from you local parts store.

ProECU
04-06-2005, 04:48 PM
mate ill take the g-box off your hands for cheap AS IS if you're interested, minus flywheel, clutch & pplate.

email if interested

Limbo
04-06-2005, 08:39 PM
Well if you need another gbox i might have one in 5 weeks as i am awaiting a ITR box. So i will prob be selling my b16a box. Its fully working with no problems at all.