PDA

View Full Version : Elimination of Vtec Controller

Steer^Gimic
23-05-2005, 06:03 PM
hey guys, a friend is interested in a EK4, but it has a stupid Apexi vtec controller in it.
so:
-can it just be pulled out?
-should the ECU be reset?
-will the standard vtec points return to normal?

cheers guys.

ProECU
23-05-2005, 06:24 PM
all should return to normal.

these piggybacks alter the resistance values the ECU sees, thats how they TRICK the ecu into changing the vtec points.

Just remove it and restore the wiring to how it was originally, no ecu reset required, but cant hurt anyway.

garett
24-05-2005, 09:46 AM
also the guy who is buying this car is a bit aprehensive as it has a heavy duty single plated clutch and when the previous owner changes hard feels like the entire engine and gearbox jumps... his mounts are fine i think and i understand that a heavy duty clutch is going to bite harder
does anyone have this sort of problem... could this be fixed with an engine damper?

95_CVC
24-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Why would you not want a Vtec controller!?!?!? If he wants a stock civic then don't look at one that's got mods... logic??

garett
24-05-2005, 03:41 PM
many people have quoted that even with a vtec controller they have adjusted the rev/vtec level to see which gives them the best power. and if the engine is standard you will find that the factory setting is the best,

i wouldnt buy a car with a vtec controller, personally i wouldnt want my computer to be messed with unless it has been done properly by someone who knows what they are doing. not some dodgey guy who turns the settigns up and down on the standard engine all the time

not cool, if the engine has been built to cope with it then sure get one which can be adjusted to compensate with the new engine parts and thus the new settings
as this particular engine is a b16b im sure that honda have put some effort into finding a good vtec point.

vti-r teg
24-05-2005, 03:45 PM
many people have quoted that even with a vtec controller they have adjusted the rev/vtec level to see which gives them the best power. and if the engine is standard you will find that the factory setting is the best,

i wouldnt buy a car with a vtec controller, personally i wouldnt want my computer to be messed with unless it has been done properly by someone who knows what they are doing. not some dodgey guy who turns the settigns up and down on the standard engine all the time

not cool, if the engine has been built to cope with it then sure get one which can be adjusted to compensate with the new engine parts and thus the new settings
as this particular engine is a b16b im sure that honda have put some effort into finding a good vtec point.

this guy is awesome :cool:

garett
24-05-2005, 03:45 PM
Why would you not want a Vtec controller!?!?!? If he wants a stock civic then don't look at one that's got mods... logic??

this civic is far from stock as it contains the b16b (if you didnt know its a civic type R engine)
a vtec controller does not make your car any faster it just adjusts the settings of vtec.......

where is your logic??

Steer^Gimic
24-05-2005, 06:20 PM
95 CVC people have different opinions on them, they are far from a nececessity and its hardly what i would call a 'modification'.
garett how did you like the way the car drove?
personally didnt like the feeling of the gearbox about to fall out beneath my feet :S..quick though

forensics
24-05-2005, 08:05 PM
pull it out and sell it to me! =P

J-MuN
25-05-2005, 01:03 AM
this civic is far from stock as it contains the b16b (if you didnt know its a civic type R engine)
a vtec controller does not make your car any faster it just adjusts the settings of vtec.......

where is your logic??
werd :D vtec controllers IMO opinion is waste of money... the car came out of the factory

making the engine engage vtec at wateva rpm.. i'd rather leave it be, than to fiddle around

and engage vtec at an earlier stage... just my 2cents...

garett
25-05-2005, 12:45 PM
i thought the car was really quick jp but i for a start the owner turned me off it by the way he drove it,

it chirped 2nd and 3rd with 4 people in the car, i realize that this is because of the hd clutch but thats pretty impressive

i agree it feels like the engine has too much hp for the car, maybe an engine stabilizer or something i dont know... the owner is a shit driver and just slams it into gear even in his own street.