PDA

View Full Version : suspension install f*ckup!!!!!!

shep9ky
23-05-2005, 06:36 PM
Hey guys
just got my second hand pedders sports rider springs put in today
i got a call and they said that the rear is up really high and front is really really low
now my first thought is this dickhead has actually put the front springs on the back and vice versa.
the numbers for the front and the back were on the box i gave the springs to him in.
anyways i just wanted to cover my ass and make sure that there is anything else that could have gone wrong
i have koni reds but i'm pretty certain they wouldnt affect it that much
is this true??
also anyone who has any ideas other than the guy has put springs on the wrong end please dont hesitate to let me know.
i had planned on getting bennjamin to install the springs but i wasnt supposed to drive my car at high speeds with the suspension so stuffed.
i wish now that i took the chance driving down to sydney as im sure i wouldnt have had this trouble.

by the way the guy is asking me to pay the labour for him to fix the problem

ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

jackosimm
23-05-2005, 10:26 PM
Tell him to get F#%ked if he wants labour cost, RACQ inspection, see if its correct first, or just a reputable tyre and wheel shop will be able to tell you.

LS-TC
29-05-2005, 01:15 PM
u dont have to pay for s**t

type one
29-05-2005, 01:32 PM
he wants you to pay for labour to fix the problem? meaning that he knows what the problem is already but won't tell you? hehehe...

cannot swap front and rear springs anyways... he probably just hasn't set them on their perches correctly...

bennjamin
29-05-2005, 01:39 PM
he wants you to pay for labour to fix the problem? meaning that he knows what the problem is already but won't tell you? hehehe...

cannot swap front and rear springs anyways... he probably just hasn't set them on their perches correctly...

on some springs you cannot swap front and rear - but with alot of EG/DC spring types they are quite similar , so often people CAN make this mistake.
OR - he did sit the perches incorrectly ( say top front and lowest rear) and is too lazy to take the shocks out again and readjust :rolleyes:

This guy needs to fix the problem...for free otherwise demand your money back and take your business elsewhere. IE my place :)

LVNIT
29-05-2005, 02:46 PM
OR - he did sit the perches incorrectly ( say top front and lowest rear) and is too lazy to take the shocks out again and readjust :rolleyes:

What are the perches?

You could take the car somewhere else and see if they know what the problem is, but then you would be paying more money for them to check it :rolleyes:

keric_02
29-05-2005, 04:29 PM
man, tough break... i doubt he would have put the springs the wrong way, u can normally tell which is the front and which is the rear.

how much does he want for it? he spent time on it, u should give him something tho.

bennjamin
29-05-2005, 06:07 PM
What are the perches?

You could take the car somewhere else and see if they know what the problem is, but then you would be paying more money for them to check it :rolleyes:

there is height adjustable perches front and back on each shock - to adjust the actual height of the spring seat relative to the shock body ( where the spring sits on its lowest point. )
With this , you can further raise or lower your car a small amount.

Get someone ( OE a friend who knows shocks) to have alook for free and tell you what the problem is before anything else ! Then once you know the prob- take it from there :)

luzinit
30-05-2005, 11:54 AM
i dont think koni reds have adjustable height perches.. correct me if im wrong

bennjamin
30-05-2005, 12:36 PM
In regards to "koni reds" - from the koniwebsite -

Civic Sedan/Hatchback
92-95
http://www.koni.com/_cars/_special/htm/s/g.gif
8040-1146
M3http://www.koni.com/_cars/_special/htm/s/k.gifhttp://www.koni.com/_cars/_special/htm/s/j.gifhttp://www.koni.com/_cars/_special/htm/s/g.gif
8040-1158 with these sport dampers the car can be
lowered Fr/Rr: approx. 25-15 mm

Koni reds are height adjustable via an adjustable perch. Koni yellows are both height and damper adjustable. :thumbsup:

type one
30-05-2005, 01:20 PM
shock towers have to have "perches" whether they be adjustable or not (in the case of honda design where the spring and shock assembly is one - a lot of european cars are separate) for the spring to sit on.

drive your car out of that shop and take it to someone reputable. FFS - if someone in the industry can't get it right, who do you turn to??

bennjamin
30-05-2005, 02:19 PM
drive your car out of that shop and take it to someone reputable. FFS - if someone in the industry can't get it right, who do you turn to??

:thumbsup:

And , ive hard stories many a time from all sorts of sources - ALSO had a fair few bad experiences from people that I "trusted". Hence, why anything under a major overhaul i do myself DIY :)

To the original creator - take the car and get a second unbiased opinion and take it from there :)

Vivski
31-05-2005, 02:12 PM
And if it turns out to be an install botch job, take it back and make them fix it.

BlitZ
01-06-2005, 10:46 AM
the front springs are like heaps harder than the back...
if they get it wrong its easily established....
tell them they are f!@#!ken stupid if they cant tell and they should close shop

rakfint
01-06-2005, 10:15 PM
tough one man... if it was thier problem, they can't expect you to pay more to correct it... if there's some other explination where its not thier fault.. then maybe they can ask for you to pay more..

good luck with whatever happens

shep9ky
02-06-2005, 07:29 PM
springs are going well but cos the prvious owner put crazy low springs my koni reds are ****ed and they need to be replaced
ahhhhhhh

CTR Coupe
02-06-2005, 07:31 PM
you should be able to have the koni reds rebuilt. might be cheeper than getting new shockers

shep9ky
02-06-2005, 07:33 PM
great mate thanks for that
how would i go about it?