PDA

View Full Version : [Euro]Can you upgrade the audio using the stock head unit?

guldan
23-05-2005, 10:20 PM
I'm picking up a Honda Accord Euro on Wednesday and I'm taking my car in to an audio shop tomorrow to get the stuff removed from my car thats in there. Its some pretty good stuff, definitely better than the Euros OEM anyway...

What I wanted to do was to keep the stock head unit in the Euro and upgrade using my old speakers and amp... is this goign to be possible?

I know most amps have either high level inputs or you can get high level to RCA attenuators, will this be possible in the Euro?

Ideally I'd like to keep the speakers and amp ... I'll be selling them if they don't fit the Euro but I'd far prefer to continue using them :)

Thanks
Aaron

stephen8512
23-05-2005, 10:44 PM
in future, for any euro questions, please put [EURO] in front of ur topic title
e.g [EURO] Can you upgrade the audio using the stock head unit? :)

In regards to your question, yes you can upgrade using ur old speakers and amps but yeah u will need RCA converter. IMO, i think an upgrade to an aftermarket headunit is the go because overall clarity and sound quality will improve rather than using stock OEM

EuroAccord13
24-05-2005, 12:55 AM
Edited Your Title :)..

I think this has been covered before in this as well as in the Audio section, a search would be useful for your question....

CHEERS

ICACHA
24-05-2005, 01:31 AM
stock head unit connected to an amp will give you hiss from volume 1 up. no hiss on 0 volume :)

learner
24-05-2005, 01:59 AM
i have add the sub and change the 6x9 at the back on the factory HU... the sound is pretty ok.... just a bit of hiss.... (of cos... 100% it will be better if u change the HU as well)... i pretty happy with the quality already...

as EuroAccord13 said... u can take a look at the audio section... he has a very very nice set of speak in the trunk

euro77
24-05-2005, 09:33 PM
Hi Aaron! Congrats on your euro. You're gonna love it! :D
Re the audio upgrade, yes you can do it with stock head unit, and if done professionally, the hiss is almost inaudible. I've upgraded my audio with speakers and subs and amps, and I don't notice any hiss. You can use noise suppressor to decrease the hiss, which of course is only a band aid, but as long as it does it's job :D
But like stephen said, it's always best to replace the stock with aftermarket because the stock doesn't have RCA out.

guldan
24-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Thanks guys, yeah I'm real excited now :)

Got the old stuff taken out of the current car in prep for picking up the Accord tomorrow :)

Talked to a car audio guy I trust today and he said that they can do it with some high pass filters etc to reduce the hiss. Gonna get it done properly, I realise RCA is the way to go (upgrade HU) but I don't want to ruin the stockness :)

Let you know how it goes !

BLKek
25-05-2005, 12:55 PM
I found out the other day that the factory head units are built by Alpine, its such a shame they don't have at least one set of preouts tucked away at the back there, what would it cost from the factory, couple dollars, then charge the public an extra few hunge, hell I'd pay a few hunge extra to get factory preouts on the integrated radios these days...

stephen8512
25-05-2005, 03:36 PM
really? euro factory headunits are made from alpine? gee, didnt know that. thats pretty cool :D. it like finding out that the 05 rims are made by enkei. lol
Personally, i would still change the headunit since OEM's arent really built for sound performances, even if they did have RCA preouts. And also, aftermarket h/u's can spruce up your car. there are some cool lookin ones on the market now and if u have the money, u can upgrade to a h/u with motorised LCD screen that pops out. I love them. LOL. wish i can win lotto....

BLKek
25-05-2005, 04:45 PM
Only prob with aftermarket is the DIN size, you basically have to rebuild your dash facia to get it looking factory again (damn integrated head units), I'm sure there's a company out there who make the surrounds for them though. Would be cool if they had an optical bypass that renders the factory deck a transport only, then have an external DAC etc to run aftermarket sound, drool....

euro77
25-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Are you sure it's alpine? last time I heard it was panasonic.
unless they have different stock head unit in '05 built euro....

ICACHA
25-05-2005, 07:09 PM
You can't do crap with the OEM head unit. The only way is a facia that fits in the pocket below where an aftermarket head unit can go.

The facia that some are dreaming of is NOT for AU models as we have dual climate control. There is a facia, but again it's for single climate control and is $300+ USD.

BLKek
25-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Are you sure it's alpine? last time I heard it was panasonic.
unless they have different stock head unit in '05 built euro....

Friend of mine went to Alpine factory and said there were a a heap (aka rows and rows) of Honda factory head units on shelves in a testing room, so yeah, I guess they play a big part of the process...

Funny really, as my Mrs's mum's eg civic has Pioneer speakers from the factory...

Euro2005
26-05-2005, 01:19 PM
I just upgraded my Euro sound system keeping the head unit but adding a amp and new speakers and using this -- Peripheral Sven4

the sven4 line level converter is the only LLC that we have found that does not introduce engine noise to the system in a Euro. inc, alpine, cali gold, and a few others. (same with BMW systems.)

RCA Connector & Electrical Noise Eliminator - Peripheral Sven4
Best channel Audio Converter available---period!
For the Ultimate in Sound Quality and Signal transfer the SVEN4 is the Only Solution.
The SVEN4 was recently awarded the coveted innovations award at the 2004 Consumer Electronics Association Show.
Four channel Premium Sound Interfacing Device.
RCA level or speaker level input or output. The SVEN4 is perfectly suited for replacing the factory amplified system and retaining the OEM radio or for Premium OEM head-unit replacement. It can also be used as a standard line output converter. (LOC applications require vehicle specific sound harness--sold seperately).
NOTE: 60 watts maximum input per channel.

My system is now brilliant. My Car now thumps, the doors vibrate, the sound quality is fabulous and there is no hiss or interference.
I am still using the same head unit and steering wheel controls.
To look at the car you can not tell anything has changed.

I had it all done by Northfield Moorooka - Absolutely Terrific Service
Full Installation, All wiring Etc, No Cutting
http://www.northfieldmoorooka.com.au

Front Door Speakers and Tweeters - Focal 165 V Slim
The BEST and ONLY Speakers That Will Fit With Out Cutting .
Focal Polyglass speakers use one of the most unique woofer cone materials that we have ever come across. Focal uses a unique process to deposit a layer of hollow silica micro-balls over specialized pulp cellulose cones. This unique material, which feels a lot like sand paper, neutralizes the effect of standing waves along the surface. Polyglass stiffens the cone while significantly increasing neutrality and imaging qualities. The unique 1-3/4" TN 45 tweeter features Focals unique inverted titanium dome design which provides far better mechanical coupling to the voice coil than regular dome tweeter designs. This creates an upper end with resolution and detail that other tweeters simply cant touch. The tweeters come complete with accessories for flush or surface mounting. All Focal products are handcrafted in France, with every component manufactured in-house under the tightest quality control standards. Designed to fit oversized 7" 4-hole openings.
http://www.focalaustralia.com.au/polyglass.htm

Back Speakers 6x9 - Eclipse SE8493
Key Features
Size: 6 × 9" 4-Way
Continuous Power Handling: 75W
Music Power Handling: 150W
Frequency Response: 50Hz-40Hz
Sensitivity: 98dB
Cone Material: Mica/Poly
Surround Material: Rubber
Voice Coil Former: Kapton
Midrange Dome: Mylar
Tweeter Dome: Mylar
Super-Tweeter Dome: Mylar
Tweeter Magnet Material: Neodymium
Woofer Magnet Material: Ferrite
Mounting Depth: 3 1/16"
http://www.eclipse-web.com/

Amplifier - Alpine MRP-F240
V-Power 4/3/2 Channel Power Amplifier
This 4 channel V-Power amplifier delivers exceptionally high performance and detailed control. Combined with Alpine's famous sound quality, it's versatility will allow it to adapt to many configurations.
# 75W x 4 (Max)
# 100W x 2 RMS [4Ohms - Bridged @ 14.4V (0.3% THD)]
# 50W x 4 RMS [2Ohms @ 14.4V (0.3% THD)]
# 40W x 4 RMS [4Ohms @ 14.4V (0.08% THD)]
# Bass engine
# HP/LP Crossover
# Bass EQ (Variable Ch-3/4)
# RCA or Speaker Level Inputs
# MOSFET Output Transistors
http://www.alpine.com.au/

It all works perfectly and sounds AWESOME

I had it all done by Northfield Moorooka - Absolutely Terrific Service
http://www.northfieldmoorooka.com.au

siubun
26-05-2005, 06:31 PM
Finally there is hope......i know i have held off on the upgrades as i didn't want to introduce any hiss and then not be satisfied with the result. It sounds like ths LLC device might be the answer for those of us who want to keep the stock deck.

Hopefully I can get to hear how good this setup sounds at the next brissie Honda meet. Were you able get the Sven4 from Northfield as well or did if have to be imported from overseas??

Euro2005
26-05-2005, 07:44 PM
Were you able get the Sven4 from Northfield

Yes, I had it all done by Northfield Moorooka, they had everything in stock.
They had already done several Euro's before mine,
Absolutely Terrific Service
and
It sounds & works perfectly :thumbsup: