PDA

View Full Version : type R shifter

gelo
24-05-2005, 03:57 AM
hey guys
did a serach and no direct answers came up

i wanna know
the type R's all came from factory with a short shift (of some sort)
i just wnana know how this compares 2 aftermarket short shifters
my main concern is the problem of wearing the synchros out
i know that if u dont slam it into gear then its quite ok

but if u shifted in a type R with oem shifter vs aftermarket shifter
would the aftermarket one wear out the synchors faster *even if its a little*
since its an part im thinking they should last longer than afetrmarket
(when driven the same way)

i know my Q is kinda confusing...
i guess this question can also apply to cars dat come oem with a short shift

thanx guys

VT3C
24-05-2005, 02:16 PM
wasting your time and $$ by swappin from type R to an aftermarket short shifter.

if you look at the actual shift-lever on the type R, it's the same as most aftermarket items, however you can factor-in OEM factory workmanship and quality. I've seen some aftermarket short shifters that have actually snapped and the welds cracked around it's base etc.

MAYBE a cusco short-shift kit with counter-weighted shifter etc.. but you see the type R short-shifter works in conjunction with the typeR shift linkages.

I think if you're trying to improve the shift of the type R , you're getting too greedy HAHAHA

as for destroying synchros etc.. you CAN do this by having a bent or shortened linkage etc, so to prevent any potential damage, keep your type R shifter and linkages intact.

bennjamin
24-05-2005, 02:19 PM
id be mroe than happy with the Type R's stocky shift linkage / throw -its more than adequete :) The best ive tried IMO.

Try my EG civic truck shifter for a while and you will appreceiate your own 100000% more :)

VT3C
24-05-2005, 02:23 PM
yeah I agree.

after installing type R shifter, linkages and bushings in my EG, the shift feels exactly like the type R's I've driven.. was the best $300 i've ever spent on my car !!

BiGANG
24-05-2005, 02:36 PM
hey guys, i just put a b&m shifter (from egSi) and it has noticably decreased the shift throw and height, and it feels just as good as the stock one did. I very much doubt that the aftermarket shifter would increase the wear of the syncros unless the driver is crunching gears because of the short shifter being in.

VT3C
24-05-2005, 03:00 PM
BiGANG, your shifter is for D-series though isnt it ??

the design of the actual shifter you have is essentially same as the type R..

BiGANG
24-05-2005, 03:11 PM
are you talking about the one i bought (the b&m) i put them side by side before i put the new one in, the new one is physically shorter and the ball sits a bit higher than the original one. I was worried that it wouldnt make any difference either. But i dont think the shifter i bought is for d series. The shifters used are a pretty common part throughout most civic and integra models, my one said it was suitable for 88-01 models civic and integra, so its not really motor specific

weezer
24-05-2005, 03:28 PM
I dunno about CTR but ITR "shifter" is the same as a stock one, except its chrome.

ORACER
24-05-2005, 03:36 PM
i use ITR shifter w/linkage, the best compare to my old aftermarket shortshifter kit..
itr linkage is expensive though if you compare to other aftermarket shifter but its worthit.

gelo
24-05-2005, 03:37 PM
well
bascially i got the ek9 shifter (linkages + bushings + shifter)
which i think is hte same as the dc2r one
i havnt installed it yet
i heard about how having a short shift will wear out ur synchros more
(depends on the driving style of course)
i just wanna know if this is only really the case with aftermarket ones
coz i believe OEM items should factor this in and procuce something that shotrens shift and isnt too hard on the gearbox

BiGANG
24-05-2005, 03:49 PM
i dont think the actual shifter would make a difference in the wear of the syncros IMO, as you said the driving style would make all the difference. just the aftermarket shifter would entice you to be harder on the box, increasing the wear.