PDA

View Full Version : [Euro] - Clicking clutch/burning rubber

Ronin
24-05-2005, 08:56 AM
My Euro is just about to come to 10000kms, and my clutch is has this clicking sound when i press the pedal. It happens when the pedal is almost (90%) fully pressed down.

Any ideas? That and plus I've been smelling a lot of burning rubber lately. Could be the tyres, but then if I was burning the tyres that much, the speedo would have a higher reading if the tyres are spinning. Can anyone confirm that if you accelerate, and your wheel spins, that the speedo reflects the speed of the wheel, and not the speed of the vehicle?

Not sure what's going on. I'm wondering whether to install my icebox before the service, or after the 10k service.

Suggestions?

baboo
24-05-2005, 09:25 AM
Ronin,

You have a faulty clutch master cylinder. Go to Honda dealer and ask them to replace it under warranty, I had mine replaced.

Since the clutch master cylinder is faulty, your clutch might not operate correctly and maybe resulting the clutch wear therefore a burning smell.

Take it to Honda dealer asap!

baboo
24-05-2005, 09:32 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12165&page=1&pp=12&highlight=clutch

Here's a link of previous discussions

Ronin
24-05-2005, 10:00 AM
But should I do the mod before getting the clutch fixed. Any issues here?

Matell
24-05-2005, 10:03 AM
But should I do the mod before getting the clutch fixed. Any issues here?

Do it after.

aaronng
24-05-2005, 12:10 PM
Get the clutch fixed ASAP. One owner in US had his clutch totally wear out because his master cylinder was faulty. In the end they changed the master cylinder, but not clutch since it is a wearing surface and had to pay around US$1500 to replace it.

BTW, I had my master cylinder changed. They can do it in 1 day. Send it in the morning and get it back in the evening. No pain. You won't be long without your baby.

Euro2005
24-05-2005, 12:39 PM
I've been smelling a lot of burning rubber lately.

Yesterday I smelt burning rubber for the first time with my 3 months old Auto Euro, but no smells today. :confused:

h22a accord
24-05-2005, 12:54 PM
was it raining yesterday? hehehe

Yesterday I smelt burning rubber for the first time with my 3 months old Auto Euro, but no smells today. :confused:

VirIIx
24-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Get the clutch fixed ASAP. One owner in US had his clutch totally wear out because his master cylinder was faulty. In the end they changed the master cylinder, but not clutch since it is a wearing surface and had to pay around US$1500 to replace it.

BTW, I had my master cylinder changed. They can do it in 1 day. Send it in the morning and get it back in the evening. No pain. You won't be long without your baby.

you forget that i've already changed my clutch over once and i had to fork out for it too.. and i still haven't forgotten..

and that was just under 10,000km

cost me quite a bit too, quotes ranging from $1500-2500

but it was all fixed eventually, took them 2 fecking weeks to get parts in. I sitll say it was a faulty clutch - we'll see how this new one lasts, and if it goes again im switching to a performance clutch for the same price.

yfin
24-05-2005, 01:47 PM
you forget that i've already changed my clutch over once and i had to fork out for it too.. and i still haven't forgotten..

but it was all fixed eventually, took them 2 fecking weeks to get parts in. I sitll say it was a faulty clutch - we'll see how this new one lasts, and if it goes again im switching to a performance clutch for the same price.

Did you get your solicitor to write a letter of demand like I suggested? 10,000kms is a fault covered by warranty unless you have done something really stupid. If you drive sensibly you will get decent life out of a Honda clutch.

I would attach to the letter an affidavit concerning your manual vehicle driving experience and state that you have not raced the car etc. Obviously everything in the affidavit needs to be true and correct.

I really think this is worth the effort.

aaronng
24-05-2005, 01:56 PM

When you did your 10000km service, what was the tyre thread remaining? If you can prove that you did not abuse the car, I wonder if you can get the case turned around.

yfin
24-05-2005, 02:03 PM
When you did your 10000km service, what was the tyre thread remaining? If you can prove that you did not abuse the car, I wonder if you can get the case turned around.

I don't think that means much - tyre wear can be caused by lots of things not just wheel spin. You can also easily cause wheel spin with the clutch fully out.

It is more important for Honda to know that he does not ride the clutch or rest his foot on the clutch when driving - ie he should explain his experience as a manual driver.

Ronin
24-05-2005, 02:50 PM
Its hard to tell - is the smell of burning rubber different from the clutch?

H22A accord - YES it was raining slightly yesterday when the smell came about. I was spinning the wheel for at least 50m before finally trying to get some traction. Thing is the speedo was still hovering around 60km/hr.. if the wheel was spinnning, wouldn't the speedo be higher?

Today car still smells bad, but could just be leftover burning smell. Can never be too sure. I'm getting the service next Fri or Thurs at Courtney Paterson in Heidelberg. I think they're alright.

yfin - which one do you go to?

aaronng
24-05-2005, 03:10 PM
Its hard to tell - is the smell of burning rubber different from the clutch?

H22A accord - YES it was raining slightly yesterday when the smell came about. I was spinning the wheel for at least 50m before finally trying to get some traction. Thing is the speedo was still hovering around 60km/hr.. if the wheel was spinnning, wouldn't the speedo be higher?

Today car still smells bad, but could just be leftover burning smell. Can never be too sure. I'm getting the service next Fri or Thurs at Courtney Paterson in Heidelberg. I think they're alright.

yfin - which one do you go to?
Were you driving with the VSA turned off? After trying it once on wet roads, I decided to always leave it on unless I am going for a nice drive in the countryside in the dry.

EuroAccord13
24-05-2005, 03:37 PM
I think you better have it checked, my dealer acknowledged the problem with the Euros and a few other models in the Honda line up and it costs nothing to make sure it is ok. I got mine changed under warranty...

BLKek
24-05-2005, 04:08 PM
and your wheel spins, that the speedo reflects the speed of the wheel, and not the speed of the vehicle?

I think speed is taken from your gearbox...

VirIIx
24-05-2005, 04:51 PM
I have yet to visit my solicitor, i've been bogged down with my new job so it's been hard to get anything done.

They checked my tyres and they were great, they also commented how my brake pads were also very good especially for it's mileage it had done.

You'd think if i was thrashing it, i'd also be braking hard to stop fast as well.. in some respects that is.

I'll definately have to get on the case and take it up. No harm in trying.

Were you driving with the VSA turned off? After trying it once on wet roads, I decided to always leave it on unless I am going for a nice drive in the countryside in the dry.

Without the VSA on in dry conditions, you can learn to appreciate the performance of the car and learn the limits of it. The VSA dumbs the car down, but it's designed to keep the car stable :)

I've tried driving without VSA in the wet and it's not advisable. I'm not very comfortable with VSA off in wet conditions.

Ill agree with aaronng. Always on unless it's a nice drive in the countryside in the dry :)

Ronin
24-05-2005, 10:53 PM

Well might be it. I mostly drive with it off. I can't really stand it on, exactly with the crappy Dunlop tyres. My rev always gets cut down and my driving becomes very jerky with it on.

I rather the wheel spin, and slide. Thats my style.

tegstar83
24-05-2005, 11:24 PM
at least uve got VSA Ive only got my right foot in the wet and if I give it just a tad too much Im gonna be sliding out and understeering, Blardy scary at times

stephen8512
25-05-2005, 03:40 PM
n00b question, would driving with VSA ON all the time even in the dry affect petrol consumption? or am i being stupid?