PDA

View Full Version : Civic 4 Wheel Drive?

Enigma
24-05-2005, 05:58 PM
As the title says i was wondering if its possible to change a civic into an all wheel drive car? and if its been done before..

jackosimm
24-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Anything is possible with one all mighty fat wallet. I saw a turbo Rear wheel drive one in USA. Didn't Japan get a load of All Wheel Drive civics?

VT3C
24-05-2005, 07:09 PM
ohh my gawd.. here we go again.. is it that time of the year already that someone asks about an AWD civic ?

positive and negative points to note:

- Extreme cost of labour (etc) involved in converting a FF car to AWD.

- You'd be destroying the dynamics of a 4th, 5th or 6th generation of chassis designed to be one of the best FF platforms in the world.

- Honda released an AWD EG civic Sedan (RTSi) powered by the mighty ZC in Japan.. therefore the necessary drivetrain components DO exist on the civic sedan platform.

- The HRV is based on the Civic platform (EK Floorplan) and uses the D-series engine.

- the CRV is based on the Civic Platform also but uses a B-series engine.

- Honda's AWD system aint like Subaru's with a central diff to distribute torque to all 4 wheels, it distributes power to 2 out of 4 wheels by which has the most traction with a max of a 60/40 frontal torque distribution... not really suited for performance driving.

- Honda's AWD platform is prob not very suited to any major power upgrades.. will go BANG if you give it too much power as its not designed for that.

- Any benefits from the AWD would be countered or squashed by the additional weight created by the AWD componentry and also the AWD system would 'tax' even more power from the transmission before it gets to the wheels.

That's just a few points. can be done sure, but you need to be are of those things at least.

z3lda
24-05-2005, 07:17 PM
IF YOU BOTHER DOIN A SEARCH.! U'D FIND SOMETHING ABOUT THIS.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15021&highlight=mitsu

jackosimm
24-05-2005, 07:20 PM
ohh my gawd.. here we go again.. is it that time of the year already that someone asks about an AWD civic ?

positive and negative points to note:

- Extreme cost of labour (etc) involved in converting a FF car to AWD.

- You'd be destroying the dynamics of a 4th, 5th or 6th generation of chassis designed to be one of the best FF platforms in the world.

- Honda released an AWD EG civic Sedan (RTSi) powered by the mighty ZC in Japan.. therefore the necessary drivetrain components DO exist on the civic sedan platform.

- The HRV is based on the Civic platform (EK Floorplan) and uses the D-series engine.

- the CRV is based on the Civic Platform also but uses a B-series engine.

- Honda's AWD system aint like Subaru's with a central diff to distribute torque to all 4 wheels, it distributes power to 2 out of 4 wheels by which has the most traction with a max of a 60/40 frontal torque distribution... not really suited for performance driving.

- Honda's AWD platform is prob not very suited to any major power upgrades.. will go BANG if you give it too much power as its not designed for that.

- Any benefits from the AWD would be countered or squashed by the additional weight created by the AWD componentry and also the AWD system would 'tax' even more power from the transmission before it gets to the wheels.

That's just a few points. can be done sure, but you need to be are of those things at least.

My favourite part: LOL

That's just a few points

Setanta
24-05-2005, 07:57 PM
In 1989, Honda built a 4 door (not shuttle, a sedan) AWD

Go figure :)

civ_sik
24-05-2005, 08:14 PM
i always thought that the crv was a front wheel drive but when they (the fronts) slip the rear wheels kick in...?

vti-r teg
25-05-2005, 04:48 PM
FF is fun enough

civiceg9
26-05-2005, 09:51 PM
There is an island in Japan which requires 4WD. So popular domestic model would have a 4WD model. I know the EF, EG, EK and ES model all had 4WD models.

rakfint
01-06-2005, 11:51 PM
VT3C... very well said.. and informative too .... :p

Terry
02-06-2005, 12:24 AM
There is an island in Japan which requires 4WD. So popular domestic model would have a 4WD model. I know the EF, EG, EK and ES model all had 4WD models.

That Island is call Hokkaido:D .......The part time 4WD system running on EG in there turns out to be the system used by CRV at later stage~

Val
02-06-2005, 12:59 AM
civ_sik:

i always thought that the crv was a front wheel drive but when they (the fronts) slip the rear wheels kick in...?

Yes i believe that is the case, my dad's car is a CRV, when the front wheels loose traction the rears start spining

Lokmok1234
02-06-2005, 10:42 PM
interesting....if i had a fat wallet....ej20 awd civic. hah!