PDA

View Full Version : Clutch or Gearbox

Ironfist
26-05-2005, 01:11 AM
Ok this problem only occured today.

When i'm changing gears it's hard to get the gear into 3rd or 4th, somtimes second. I have to push the gear handle hard even with the clutch fully pressed down (like there's somthing stopping me from pushing it into gear). On a few occasions going into 3rd or 4th with the clutch fully pressed down it grinds before poping into gear :(

I'm leaning towards it being a clutch problem. Does this thing just happen? i would have thought it had a more gradual approach like the clutch slipping (unless what i'm describing is the clutch slipping).

So is this a clutch problem or a gearbox problem?

If i have to change my clutch what should i get? and what flywheel should i get? i've heard it's a good idea to change this at the same time. I'm willing to spend less then $1500 installed or am i dreaming? I want some heavy duty one that feel's like or close to a standard clutch, none of this brass triple deca button platted clutch that can handle 400 Hp(i've read this forum about clutchs but i'm still lost to which one to buy, i need more of a direct approach from ppl to say just buy this clutch).

If it's a gearbox problem.... errr... i donno what to do.

Thanks

bennjamin
26-05-2005, 01:24 AM
first of all before anything....

spend a few $ and get your transmission fluid changed with a fresh set of MTF fluid , and flush your clutch master cylinder with fresh DOT4 OEM brake fluid too.
All this is doign is replacing needed fluids with new non contaminated fluid and coudl very well solve your problem (hopes) .

$50 odd compared to $1000 is well worth it :)
Try it out and get back us !

Ironfist
26-05-2005, 01:45 AM
Cool I'll try that.

Also this happened once. I put my foot on the clutch to depress it and when i put a pit of pressure on the clutch, the clutch was pulsating/vibrating up and down. Felt really weird.

Thanks

wynode
26-05-2005, 12:12 PM
TODA AU is selling clutch/flywheel kits here:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13667&highlight=clutch

Read this (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=284381&postcount=27) post for a bit of info on the HD clutches (also thanks to TODA AU)

As for your post, it sounds like your clutch isn't disengaging properly but could be other things too. Start with the simple/cheap remedies first as Ben has said :)

DC2108
26-05-2005, 11:25 PM
hey man the same thing happenz to my 95 vtir when from 3rd to 4th at hight rev
and shifting fast it scraps r bit den goz in wtf is that plz help mi too its pissing mi off coz i cant run though gears any more
n last tym i change my gearbox oil the guy put volvoline oil he said if thiker n better coz the gear box been worn so need more protection ? issert tru

Ironfist
27-05-2005, 10:09 AM
Mine does it it at lower revs. You still drive your car around?
At a stationary position if you pump your brakes and then stop does your car's idle go spastic? bcos that's what mine is doing as well :(

Also the car nearly stalls in first if you let the clutch out approx 1 cm away from it being fully pushed in.

IRI
27-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Clutch is prolly gone dude. And that brake thing is normal....

LSD Motorsports
28-05-2005, 05:06 PM
First off Guys, id do as Wynode suggested and Change break fluid if its a low mileage transmission. If you have been racing it and the mileage is getting up there, It sounds like a transmission problem. To be exact it sounds like the synchros are going bad. The brake thing is not normal if rpm changes drastically. Naturally it will rise when u start pumping the brakes a lot as the brake booster is drawing vacuum from the intake manifold for the brakes. If its excessively high idling, id look into getting a new brake booster, how does your brake pedal feel? Plz describe what you mean by letting the clutch pedal out 1cm from the floor it wanting to die.

autorichtech.com
28-05-2005, 06:22 PM
how hard do you drive your car?

i had the same problem in my crx... i actually couldnt engage 3rd or 4th gear after a hard drive thru alot of cornering. At first i couldnt actually tell what the problem was. so basically i had to drive 30mins home in 1st and 2nd gear.... and then smashing the 3rd gear in without stepping in the clutch.

After that once i got home...stripped the gearbox apart. I had found that the pressure plate was fOoked. Inside the pressure plate there is a coil of wire/spring *dont know the exact name* looking thing... that appeared to be broken.

Overall i just installed a new clutch kit...with a machined flywheel.. problem was solved.

I'd suggest that you get a few helping hand... much easier to lift otherwise u'd experience the gearbox squashing u under the car, just as i did lol.

Total cost for a new exedy Hd clutch kit costed 315bux.
Even though my clutch plate waas still in perfect condition. the price of the pressure plate by itself costed nearly as much as a new kit.