PDA

View Full Version : EURO: paint protection package?

aZZ
27-05-2005, 01:24 AM
hi all.

my new black lux euro arrives in 3 weeks and honda have given me the options of paint protection and leather protection packages.

apparently they havent sold a single black euro yet that hadnt had the paint protection applied to it.

so how many euro owners opted for the extra paint protection or leather protection and do u think it makes a diffrence or is worth it?

im thinking about getting the leather protection mainly cause i know the tan leather is going to get dirty :(, and maybe the protection will provent the bad marks? i dont know this is the first new car i have ever baught, and i dont want to be getting ripped by honda dealers lol.

many thanks.

aZZ

aaronng
27-05-2005, 01:52 AM
All the protection packages are just overpriced. Paint protection is useless. I got that and it doesn't do anything against the environment. Tree sap stuck to it, couldn't be taken off eventhough I went at it straight away. If you are willing to wash and wax, then the protection from wax is better as long as you wax every 1.5 or 2 months. THe leather protection is the same lanoguard thing that they sell at Super Cheap Auto. Just the price is different. You can get it yourself and apply it. If you really want paint protection, I can point you to an online shop that sells the same teflon coating that they use. I've bought from the shop before and they delivered. Note, that if you intend to wax in the future, waxing voids the paint protection warranty. So if you want to wax, just forget the paint protection.

Catcha
27-05-2005, 02:50 AM
From past experience, I personally believe that paint protections has some benifits, even though they charge and arm and a leg. Up here in Darwin Bats dropping are really pain in the ass. My parents camry had ming protection put on it. And knowing my father his a lazy bugger to clean that crap off once he sees it, which is left for a good day in the cooking sun as well, before I bother to clean it off. Bat dropping usually eats the paint away at a alarming rate. But the camry has nothing. And where he parks he aways gets it so it's never a once of thing.

My lancer back then copped some bat dropping, I realised it in the morning but not at night cause it was dark. went to clean it of and paint particles started coming off. I even waxed it the say before as well. Even my current jazz copped some tree sap, and i wished it had got it.

Some company offers guarantees on bat dropping and tree sap not to damge you paint, so its good to shop around I guess.

But this is just some personal experience and observations I have seen over the years

aaronng
27-05-2005, 03:11 AM
The honda paint protection from Paintguard doesn't warranty your paint protection against droppings. Instead they want you to get Natureguard on top of the Paint protection for this... Pay more?

jamchen
27-05-2005, 07:45 AM
i had the whole paint protection package with my MDX purchanse.
its both ecterior and interior and rust proof....
i'd say, no they are not worthwhile to get them. why? because you can simply void the so-called warrrenty if you wash the car or clean the interior use other products..,.,.. you can only use their products to clean the car~~~ :(
the only thing that is good out of the thing is the celicon they applied over my wheel base cover... it makes dirts go away easiler and give you the black, clean image~ :cool:

h22a accord
27-05-2005, 09:21 AM
I am a contractor for MING and WAX GUARD and apply these packages to many new cars.
There is a lot of training involved to do the protection packages properly and there is a lot of cow boys out there that take shortcuts when applying it which inhibits the benefits of the product in the 1st place. I was trained by MING'S NSW technical manager, and in my time of applying the packages have not had a single warranty claim due to failure of the product.

if it is applied correctly, there is a legit warranty which covers damage against bird droppings etc.

Although, your warranty is void if u dont use the car wash solution that they provide you with, which can be purchased from where you bought the paint protection in the 1st place.

Also, unless you live on the beach, rust protection is probably a waste of money.

A lot of consumers think that paint protection is a way of protecting your cars paint and fabric with out having to look after it but like any car, if you dont look after it, it will turn to sh*t.

I have products that are safe to use on paint protected vehicles, that will polish the paintwork with out removing the paint protection.

Yes, it is a way for the dealers to make money but they are only trying to recover some money back after you screwed them on the price of the car!

Paint/fabric/leather protection does have its merits and if u can afford it and are willing to maintain the protection pack properly i'd say go for it.

if you cant justify the cost ( which i wouldnt myself ) save your money and spend it on professional detailing instead.

Catcha
27-05-2005, 09:47 AM
The honda paint protection from Paintguard doesn't warranty your paint protection against droppings. Instead they want you to get Natureguard on top of the Paint protection for this... Pay more?

The ones here do that's why it just that bit different :D

Thorn2004
27-05-2005, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't bother with the paint or leather protection dude, it seriously is just a money-making scheme to get a few extra dollars out of you from the dealership! If you are not a lazy-a$$ and can be bothered washing your car fairly regularily with a polish every couple of months then there is no need for it, unless you want to make a nice donation to your dealership that is ;)

I was offered the same thing when I bought my ABP Accord Euro last year, I refused and wash and polish my car regularily, it is still as new!

Catcha
27-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Another suggestion is that if you know where the actual company is that does the dealership work and go directly to them. You save a few hundred bucks. This is what a friend did with his Euro.

EuroAccord13
27-05-2005, 03:26 PM
If you really want to do it... Do it outside of the Dealership... :)

BLKek
27-05-2005, 07:41 PM
I found the paint protection dulled my black paint, I love my shiny paint so I stripped the stuff off and now wax it religiously, I don't think the protection was applied correctly in the first place as now I've got stains on the glass I cannot get off and hard inside the door jambs is very cloudy and I still can't get in there to strip it all out. I also found the wash they supply to be utter poo, sometimes I had to wash the car twice. BUT it did work, could let water dry, could leave dropping on it for awhile and not get into the paint, however SOME water spoting appeared - I think due to shody application.

I got the paint protection as the car lived outside on weekends, now we have our own garage for it so I stripped it off.

But I must say I'm very picky with my car, I doubt the averge person would even notice.

I think its a good idea if your a little lazy on the frequent tubs.

Euro05
27-05-2005, 08:01 PM
I got offered a protection package as well but couldn't see the value in it. The dealer tried to put the hard sell on it, eg it's a prestige car look after it, every car we sell gets it etc, but I hadn't heard many positives about it. One of the dealers I spoke to when I was shopping around even told me that there was no point getting it as it didn't do much.

PNR888
27-05-2005, 08:03 PM
aZZ: there are many paint protection product and company doing the job, different honda dealers deal with different companies, usually the locals. but Ming is a very well known company for paint protection, and interior protection. It has branches all over australia.
In my experience, I find paint protection with teflon definitely provide extra protection. My friend's dark green Gen 3 VW golf VR6 had it done, it hardly has any swirl mark, but mind you my friend wash his car regularly, he also uses Zymol wax. (maybe it is Zymol doing the trick?)

With regard to Leather protection, yours will be ivory leather which is more prone to stain, as many other members pointed out, they have stains from their jeans and black leather belt etc. so maybe the leather protection may prevent that from happening.

Rust protection (underbody) probably will be benificial to you since you are down at the coast. especially if you intend to keep your car for a long time.

Bat's poo is so detrimental, my colleague's Z350 coped one right on the middle of bonnet, and it screwed the dytona blue paint badly. if he has the paint protection like Catch's father's Camry, then his bonnet should still be spotless.

If you consider getting it done, find out the name of company and product your honda dealer use. Maybe H22a accord can give you more info to help you make decision.

Catcha
28-05-2005, 08:53 AM
I never really believed that stuffed work but after seening my father get sucked into it and got it done. I personally would reconsider it on my next car but outside of a dealership.

And like I said before, where he parks it gets dumped on with bat droppings and well he can't really park anywhere else and and the trees surrounding are nest of bats. I have lost count of the number of times i would have to clean the stuff off worrying about it but to this day after 3 years its still does the job. And my father never waxes or does anything. nor does he put the special detergents that are required when washing. That enough evidence that it works. Funny that when they offered me that when I brought my honda i just thought "WHAT for that price you can go jump". But after reading this and thinking about me fathers cars, it really does work in some ways.

Even my window tinting I sourced that company that does it for my local honda dealership and went direct to them and save me about couple of hundred.

In the end If you really want to save and get the full benefits, doing your homework on what you want will reap rewards just like choosing your Euro, nothing comes close to the spec for price and honda quality.

nexace
26-08-2005, 11:28 PM
By the sounds of it, all this protection is a waste of money?

I was offered Paint and Interior Leather protection for $1100 with a couple more freebies like cleaner etc.

Should I save my $1100?

...it's a Graphite Euro-L.

jamwyn
26-08-2005, 11:46 PM
I did paint protection and tinting for mine. $750 all in. I think I may have been riPPed!?

nexace
27-08-2005, 12:07 AM
Hmmm...sounds pretty good compared to the prices they're giving me.

Paint = $895
Leather = $795

Total = $1690 but if purchased as a package = $1100 + freebies after haggling.

But after reading a few of the threads regarding these products, I might be better off saving my money for petrol! :D

EuroAccord13
27-08-2005, 01:46 AM
I choose to Disagree...

I like Paint Protection but I'll never get it off the dealer, their prices are overpriced..

I sourced around for detailing shops and got myself MING Paint Protection for my old car and I can't tell you how much easier cleaning and maintaining the paint work of the car.. In three years that I owned the car when it rolled out of the dealership, I never once waxed or polished the car, water just seeps off seamlessly and cleaning off goo and poo poo were a breeeze....

You can get a good Paint Protection package for around 300 bucks nowadays with a 5 year guarantee....

Only drawback is that you can only wash the car with special shampoo that rejuvenates and protects the Paint Protection itself...

jamwyn
27-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Yeah i reckon these days there are lots of other places you can do it. EAcc13, how long before you wipe out the goo away, will it tolerate? Newbie here.

Only reason i got mine from Dealership was cos they offered lifetime warranty on tint and crystal glaze[paint protection] . 20years from now, im gonna make a claim. hehe.

coladuna
28-08-2005, 05:06 PM
It's ridiculous how much dealers charge for the crappy so-called "paint protection".
Just buy some high quality car detailing products consisting of car wash, polish, sealant/carnauba wax and good quality microfibre towels. Clay bar the paint, give it a full polish, seal the paint and top it off with wax. After giving a full treatment, washing your car becomes so easy after that. That'll only cost you 3-400 bucks for more than a year's supply. In my mind, it's much more effective than those dubious paint protection packages.
Mind you, my car looks even newer than when it was first delivered.

nexace
28-08-2005, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the insight... guess I'll tell them tomomorrow the decision about paint and leather protection. Forget about it :thumbdwn:

EuroAccord13
29-08-2005, 12:01 AM
EAcc13, how long before you wipe out the goo away, will it tolerate? Newbie here.

Well the thing is that the Paint Protection protects the body from the acidic stuffs in goo and tree gum.. Sometimes it's hard to get off when it has been baked under the sun for too long but the body is still being protected by the Paint Protection.

Tip to get harden goo, poo, boo whatever off the paintwork is to use tea tree oil or sit a sponge with car shampoo over it for a minute or two to let the shampoo soften the crap then gently wipe it off....

CHEERS

coladuna
29-08-2005, 12:04 AM
Tip to get harden goo, poo, boo whatever off the paintwork is to use tea tree oil or sit a sponge with car shampoo over it for a minute or two to let the shampoo soften the crap then gently wipe it off....

CHEERS

I'd just use a good quality bug remover.

aaronng
29-08-2005, 01:03 AM
And stuff that doesn't soften with the tea tree oil, car shampoo or bug remover, use a claybar to remove instead.

Catcha
29-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the insight... guess I'll tell them tomomorrow the decision about paint and leather protection. Forget about it :thumbdwn:

Its all good and well to get it, but just don't get it from a dealer, everything a dealer does they put a hefty mark up on it.......from tint to whatever.

tanalasta
25-05-2006, 07:23 PM
For $300 (which is what I got mine for) and from talking to mates who have had it - I would go with the paint protection. If you look after it and still wax your car, it provides that little bit of extra barrier for your paint. And it looks good.

Otherwise, if you really really care about your paintwork, you'll have to wipe bird-crap off the same day it goes on. *sighs* It's amazing what that stuff can do to paint.

There is no way I would pay $900 for interior protection though. I'm the only one who sits in my car anyway!

2jz
25-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Can you do paint protection on a car that is a few months old? Or for new car only?

IS250
26-05-2006, 11:21 AM
What about this Glare Infinity Plus product? Has anyone used it on their car? This stuff was recommended by an ex car salesman who said dealer paint protection was just a scam.

www.paintprotection.com.au

h22a accord
26-05-2006, 03:46 PM
What about this Glare Infinity Plus product? Has anyone used it on their car? This stuff was recommended by an ex car salesman who said dealer paint protection was just a scam.

www.paintprotection.com.au (http://www.paintprotection.com.au)

take a look at this thread about GLARE

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43738

EuroDude
26-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Meh just buy Glare Infinity Plus for $150 and do it yourself. It lasts five years and is much cheaper than what the dealers charge.

Dont get sucked into expensive inflated dealer extras

IS250
26-05-2006, 04:53 PM
take a look at this thread about GLARE

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43738

Cool, thanks.

Omotesando
26-05-2006, 06:05 PM
I don't really like the finish-look of the Paint Protections, it seems a little bit duller than usual - although its not that much of a difference to be fair. I'm sure it works well though... Don't tell my friends but I recommended it to some of them lazy buggers (but I don't use it!), and their cars which are under-maintained, have kept the paintwork well for the last few years without a single polish. I have no doubt it works, just that you have to use their shampoo product which is fair enough. I think they got the MINGS Protection, one was a Holden the other was a Nissan.

I find the EURO Accord's paint to be really smooth and also the top coat seems to do the job well enough, that it doesn't have a lot of swirl marks. Mercedes is probably the only other vehicle brand on the market which seems to have paint which looks really good as well as the newer BMWs (after E36 for 3 series), and Mercs already have paint protection built in.

As my car is Silver I don't take as much care waxing it can't be stuffed. But I use imported PS21 Wax which is the best wax in the world tested, even much better than Zymol or Meguiars. I couldn't bring myself to Zaino Bros the car throughout as the first time around its a hard job, but if my car was darker I'll definitely Zaino it... this synthetic polish but non-abrasive stuff is crazily good. For now, PS21 does the job quickest and the result is amazing, also lasts a good period!