PDA

View Full Version : [Euro] Best for everyday

Tobster
27-05-2005, 11:19 AM
OK -- this might generate some debate...

I realise that dynos don't really reflect real world driving and also that the US TSX has a slightly different engine tune to what we get. Also, that different manufacturers products are going to be tuned slightly differently...

I've been following a lot of the discussions here and at tsxclub.com about intakes, particularly the Injen CAI and the Comptech icebox. If you have a look at www.comptechusa.com/store/tsxdyno.html they have dynos of each of their products.

Basically it leads me to the conclusion that if you don't want a big torque hole low down and are looking for the best "every day use" set-up, a cat-back system is still the best way to go. It doesn't offer a huge increase in power, but it does help the torque and the cat-back is the only dyno graph where things don't dip drastically (in spots) below stock.

I've read articles on Autospeed about Integra Type Rs suffering power losses when trying to alter airbox set-ups. It just seems that when modifying high-output (in terms of capacity) Hondas, you either sacrifice your bottom end for high end power, or risk losing your top-end for low-end torque -- and have to tread a fine line.

In terms of dollars for everyday use, it just seems like a cat-back may be the best way to go.

Any thoughts? -- particularly from those who have installed CAIs of some sort...

aZZ
27-05-2005, 11:31 AM
most hondas are like that, my old civic was set up and tuned for high RPM power, and down low it lost a fair bit of power but 4000rpm and beyond it made it all back plus more, the downside is when you just want to drive the car around say a city keeping your revs low due to lights, traffic ect.

honda tunen their motors to make a peak power, ie thats why their are not many other 2L NA cars turning out 160kw stock at the fly, playing with a honda motor especialy isnt for the inexpeirenced.

big bore exhast - high rpm power - takes away low rpm power ect.

blkeuro
27-05-2005, 11:49 AM
I have comptech icebox for my euro, and am loving it. I didn't want the Injen because an open filter CAI is to noisy IMO.
I had a catback and Injen CAI for my last car (DC5 ITR) and I can tell you now that the catback didn't do too much..ahahha..just a bit of noise (maybe a little better but I couldn't tell using the butt-dyno). With the CAI I definitely noticed an increase in power, and didn't notice "that much" of a loss of low end torque - but if anything it was more than compensated for by the high end gain.

But even then the CAI gains significantly in the midrange for the Euro - just take a look at some of the dynos posted by the US guys who have the Injen...

yfin
27-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Basically it leads me to the conclusion that if you don't want a big torque hole low down and are looking for the best "every day use" set-up, a cat-back system is still the best way to go.

I disagree - I have noticed no torque hole down low in every day driving with the Icebox. There may a slight torque loss if you looked on the dyno - but you are talking about a miniscule amount for probably 100 or 200 revs. You will not notice it when driving.

If anything I feel a gain across the rev range as all applications of the throttle are more responsive.

The figures for the catback exhaust on the Euro have been dissapointing. There will be gains but in terms of bang for buck CAI is the way to go.

Nikoy
27-05-2005, 12:52 PM
stock as a rock the accord euro performs well.

*** YFIN EDIT - sorry - no references to street racing allowed - even if you stick within the posted speed limit as you have described. Keep any drag races to the track.

VirIIx
27-05-2005, 05:01 PM
If anything I feel a gain across the rev range as all applications of the throttle are more responsive.

I agree with yfin, i've got the comptech icebox and i haven't felt a loss, only a gain throughout the rev range, imo you'll definately feel the quicker throttle response when you hit close to 4,000 rpm, and watch the needle jump instantly when it's around 5500-6000rpm.

Peekay34
27-05-2005, 07:20 PM
Same here espec with the ITG filter no torque hole, and now I have the Fujitsubu Legalis R on my car has a nice note and seems to pull quite cleanly.

yfin
27-05-2005, 07:22 PM
and now I have the Fujitsubu Legalis R on my car has a nice note and seems to pull quite cleanly.

FULL REVIEW required with pics!!! :D

Peekay34
27-05-2005, 08:04 PM
I will take pics as soon as I am back in Melbourne on Monday...away again.... :( . Never mind I am off on holiday in 3 weeks hello USA for a month here I come.....I wonder what mod shops I can go to there without the wife slapping me.... :D

Ronin
28-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Well I just installed my Ice box, and there IS a loss of low-end Torque.

Its not that noticeable, but because I live in the city, and travel alot between clients in the city and inner city, I DO notice the difference. I think its not a huge loss, but I know i'm pushing the gas pedal a touch more in the lower end.

BUT - once the RPM is over 3000rpm.. Welcome to the new world of the EURO