PDA

View Full Version : Wheres the Torque???

SIKCVC
23-01-2004, 07:08 PM
Hey guys,
What engine would produce more torque and power between 2000-4000RPM.
a ZC with zorst and pod?
or
b18c with zorst and pod?

for example atm my car will climb the hill on burwood hwy near vermont south shopping center city bound and outbound in fith at 80kms. would the b18 be much the same? I've been thinking about it for a while but at the same RPM i prosume the b18 would pull up there easy but at 2500rpm it would be doing more like 90. I dunno what do you guys recon?

bennjamin
23-01-2004, 07:15 PM
Hmm. 1.8 vs 1.6. Doesnt that speak for itself ?

SIKCVC
23-01-2004, 07:26 PM
vtec not engauged vs non vtec ???

also considering a B16a can't pull up burwood hwy in 5th(or so i was told from a sir driver)

wynode
23-01-2004, 09:01 PM
As said a 1.8L engine will have more torque over the 1.6L

Also keep in mind that DOHC VTEC engines have a higher CR than non VTEC DOHC engines, so you can expect more torque from DOHC VTEC engines of the same capacity.

LatinoHatchCrap
23-01-2004, 09:08 PM
Hey guys,
What engine would produce more torque and power between 2000-4000RPM.
a ZC with zorst and pod?
or
b18c with zorst and pod?

for example atm my car will climb the hill on burwood hwy near vermont south shopping center city bound and outbound in fith at 80kms. would the b18 be much the same? I've been thinking about it for a while but at the same RPM i prosume the b18 would pull up there easy but at 2500rpm it would be doing more like 90. I dunno what do you guys recon?
b18c has abpout 18lbs of tq on the zc...on an eg its very noticible+ the b18c (VTIR) gera ratios are quite short (4.400 final drive) 1st, 2nd, 3rd are quite short with 4th and 5th being the longest...put it this way: i can go uphill ferntree gully rd just before stud rd (going toward the freeway) in 5th gear at 80-90 and my rpm is still climbing easily:)

SIKCVC
23-01-2004, 09:11 PM
yeah the guy did say his civic was out of tune but man must have been way out ... Oh well thanks for the input.

on another note, will my fuel consumption be a great deal more, taking into account lower range gears less reving required for quicker accel? I've looked at the cars standard and they seem to be compareable as it is let alone the b18c with less weight to pull.

SIKCVC
23-01-2004, 09:15 PM
thats kool :D
but where abouts? the only hill on FTG rd near stud is after stud city bound, where the safeway is just before carbean gardens.
do you mean FTG just before Jells road? in wheelers hill? my car JUST makes it at 85-90 in 5th labours just a bit towards the end.

madgrk
23-01-2004, 10:12 PM
Why dont u use 4th? lol isnt that easier than changing a WHOLE motor? :? Anyway I live about 20 metres off Burwood Hwy, exactly where you are talking about. Dont get VTEC, it wakes me up through the night :( My friend in his vti-r drives past and it gives me the shits at 2-3am in the morn lol 8)

Theo :D

SIKCVC
23-01-2004, 10:21 PM
nah I've got the torque now but I've heard so many stories about how much torquier non-vtecs are over the vtecs when the engine isn't in vtec stage. Even though the red lines 7200 i very rary rev past 5000 Most of the time I find myself shifting before 3000. I like driving like that keeps the engine in good condition and feels smooth although i have found that after I have reved it hard for a few mins it runs a bit quiker and has quicker accel. meh

LatinoHatchCrap
23-01-2004, 10:40 PM
thats kool :D
do you mean FTG just before Jells road? in wheelers hill? my car JUST makes it at 85-90 in 5th labours just a bit towards the end. yeah sorry got confused thats the one the really long one...well im on fith and i keep making speed even at the end...theose extar 18lbs of torque own

2ds
23-01-2004, 10:46 PM
nah I've got the torque now but I've heard so many stories about how much torquier non-vtecs are over the vtecs when the engine isn't in vtec stage. Even though the red lines 7200 i very rary rev past 5000 Most of the time I find myself shifting before 3000. I like driving like that keeps the engine in good condition and feels smooth although i have found that after I have reved it hard for a few mins it runs a bit quiker and has quicker accel. meh

stay away from the b16a then, you may as well just stick with wha you have =)

i have a new place to driveby now theo =D

-2ds

LatinoHatchCrap
24-01-2004, 08:52 AM
its plain and simple. the b16 must above 5000rpm so it can shine...with the b18c the power seems to be delivered more smoothly across the range...there is the famous VTEC punch but it happens at 4400 rpm so its very very smooth change over :D :D

madgrk
24-01-2004, 06:42 PM
if u want torque, go V8 :P

SIKCVC
26-01-2004, 01:22 AM
Its not a torana and it only weighs a tonne so i dont quite need an 8 :p although i would love one... but I might as well throw away my shocks and suspention mods coz it'll handle like a shit heap.

Rowie
26-01-2004, 10:22 AM
whats all this torque!!! Heres some torque :D

http://www.coresupreme.com/gallery/albums/userpics/PHTO0002.jpg

But to answer your question: b18c with zorst and pod

And dont just throw on a POD, do some reading in the forums about CAI and you'll be fine.

SIKCVC
26-01-2004, 04:04 PM
:p Also considering with just a pod fitted the cars unroady. I already have a home made CAI pod enclosure and hose behind the front bar... last time i ran the pod behind the bar my car got vaper lock and died :(

Rowie
26-01-2004, 04:33 PM
Yes, its not recommended to run a straight pod behind the front bar unless your driving in dry conditions (track). Its best to use a short ram system.

Anyway check out this thread on air intakes :thumbsup:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2764

SIKCVC
26-01-2004, 10:05 PM
nah its sweet, I've got it as good as it can get :p cost me a few bucks but gets the same results... the only way i could improve would be to insulate it... but the benifits are too small.

Setanta
27-01-2004, 01:30 AM
vtec not engauged vs non vtec ???

also considering a B16a can't pull up burwood hwy in 5th(or so i was told from a sir driver)

Who the hell told you that? I'd tend to disagree

Setanta
27-01-2004, 01:31 AM
Yes, its not recommended to run a straight pod behind the front bar unless your driving in dry conditions (track). Its best to use a short ram system.

Anyway check out this thread on air intakes :thumbsup:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2764

AEM run them behind the bar just fine, just not in deep water :P They run a bypass valve too

madgrk
27-01-2004, 09:14 AM
AEM run them behind the bar just fine, just not in deep water :P They run a bypass valve too

Whats the bypass valve for? Do you mean on the air intake?? If you're bypassing that, how do you get fresh air!?!?!? I'm confused :(

Theo :D

SIKCVC
27-01-2004, 04:02 PM
they have a bypass which is inside the engine bay which prevents vapor lock... I have no idea how it works :p

The guy said his car was untuned at the time, he may also not drive anything like me.

Setanta
28-01-2004, 06:06 AM
Actually, the bypass valve is to stop hydro-lock, not vapour lock. That is, to stop water from being sucked into the motor en-mass and then jamming the pistons.

SIKCVC
29-01-2004, 12:51 PM
sorry mixed terminoligy. I'm pretty sure hydro lock was what cost me $1000 to fix my engine... Injector flush and replacment of most sensors. The engine just sorta died after i moved the pod behind the bar and drove around in the rain... do'h