PDA

View Full Version : ?? Engine revs when i turn the steering at idle? Help?

4thgeneCivic
28-05-2005, 06:34 PM
um...i have a problem when im idle and when i turn the steering wheel from one side to other it revs the engine....anybody know what causes this pproblem??
it really bothering me....one day i migth cause a accident because this??

*EDIT by EK9: Thread title changed*

ah8118
28-05-2005, 06:42 PM
no.. it won't cause an accident. all my previous cars do that. its just a slight rev right? maybe like 500rpms or so? not really sure why, but i think its got something to do with your power steering. nothing major mate... all's normal.

djgarv
28-05-2005, 06:42 PM
wouldn't all cars have this? i guess it depends how much revving you're talking about...assuming it's nothing extreme it's normal isn't it? like turning on your air con/headlights even....will make the revs move a little?

or maybe you got done...like that ebaumsworld video where those guys hooked up their mate's crx's brakes to his horn lol

panda[cRx]
28-05-2005, 06:43 PM
dude can you not put subject titles like '??'

sula99
28-05-2005, 07:03 PM
']dude can you not put subject titles like '??'

ACTI0NMAN-1
28-05-2005, 07:13 PM

saxman
28-05-2005, 07:22 PM
that's normal... just like pumping the brakes makes the engine rev and turning on the a/c

Honda_Pda
28-05-2005, 07:25 PM
yeh... i have the same problem with my car...
and my sisters car... so i guess its pretty normal.. = )

VTC-8OY
28-05-2005, 08:21 PM
turning the steering wheel making revs go higher? thats not normal, thats abnormal

bennjamin
28-05-2005, 08:30 PM
turning the steering wheel making revs go higher? thats not normal, thats abnormal

it seems to be normal. Happens with my car too .Your cars engine is directly connected to the powersteering pump/pulley and is compensating for the increase in resistance to "turn". As you turn more ( at lower speeds it is far more noticeable) the engine revs alittle more to aid the powersteering system :)

Educated guess as to what seems to be happening - add please !

BTW PLEASE ADD A TOPIC TITLE nextime instead of "!(@!@(#".

Vivski
28-05-2005, 08:39 PM
Wow, turning the wheel makes the engine rev. And pressing the brake pedal makes the engine rev. What next, reclining the driver's seat makes the engine rev?

bennjamin
28-05-2005, 08:45 PM
Wow, turning the wheel makes the engine rev. And pressing the brake pedal makes the engine rev. What next, reclining the driver's seat makes the engine rev?

turning wheel = directly connected to the engine via a pulley.
pushing brake = directly connected to the engine via vaccuum system.

Your engine does more than just propell you in a certain direction - there are a few things relying on it for power too :thumbsup:

Vivski
28-05-2005, 10:26 PM
Lol, I can see how the steering wheel would affect the engine, but I didn't realise the brakes and engine were connected. It hasn't yet been explained in the other topic, so I assume it's either not easy to explain or so easy that no-one can be bothered. :p

But it does make sense, 'cos if the engine stalls at speed, then you lose the steering and braking aids.

EK9
28-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Yeah, sorry but i'm gonna have to "edit" your thread title cos "??" as a title is just ridiculous... no offense.

wynode
28-05-2005, 10:41 PM
In modern cars the ECU adjusts itself depending on the load. Things like switching on the AC/demister ETC put load on the engine and when idling you will see the idel drop slightly then come back up as the ECU compensates.

Turning the wheel at standstill requires much more effort than when moving and this extra load on the power steering pump makes the engine RPM drop (i'm assuming this is what you mean).

Dry-steer at standstill and you will hear your engine RPM drop a bit.

MoonSha
28-05-2005, 11:28 PM
What next, reclining the driver's seat makes the engine rev?

I think with electric seats it may very well.

My ED does the same thing, for the reasons everybody has told you, but we need to know how many more revs you get, is it above 200-300? It's not anything like 1000+, becuase if it then you have a problem of something overcompensating. These cars are carbed too, but I think there is an ECU that controls all the electrics.

ECU-MAN
29-05-2005, 08:45 PM
any load you put on the engine at idle will cause the engine to compensate ,Alternator, Power Stearing, AC. ECU compensates via the EACV/IACV.

most hondas have a power steering pressure sensor on the high pressure line, when pressure is detected the ecu compensates. most lager Hondas have this pressure swich, civics dont.

CONAN
30-05-2005, 12:02 AM
its normal for your engine to rev a little higher i.e 1-200rpm

its your powersteering dude

[[d a n n y]]
30-05-2005, 11:56 AM

hahaha slack ****.

keric_02
30-05-2005, 05:01 PM
i find pretty much anything u do with a 4 cyl (high beam, aircon, power windows), makes the car rev higher