PDA

View Full Version : Euro - Fog's

kam
29-05-2005, 11:49 PM
I really didnt want to start an entire thread for my question, but i dont know of any other way of getting it answered. :o

I have noticed that some people, in their list of future mods, put down fog lights. why didnt they just buy them with the car?

and also, i see some really nicley modified Euro's, but no fogs. I personally fogs make any car look really nice and stand out that much more.

euro77
29-05-2005, 11:55 PM
cause they cost an arm and a leg? :D

Chris_F
29-05-2005, 11:56 PM
i think the euro looks fine without fogs. but i guess ppl change their mind AFTER buying the car and decide they want them. either that or they are trying to get them for a lower price than what the dealer can provide them for. other than that i can't think of a reason

VirIIx
30-05-2005, 08:23 AM
i've always liked fogs, depending on which car tho..

like i'd have to change the fogs compeltely on a commodore or a bmw, simply coz i hate the small ditzy round fogs.. :)

the euro ones are pretty decent, and with a change in the bulb it makes them heaps better.

mind you, aftermarket fogs are a lot cheaper than oem honda fogs.. *cough* rip off *cough* that's.. if you have them added as an extra later per say the normal model.

stephen8512
30-05-2005, 06:26 PM
i may be wanting to sell my OEM fogs once i get the MUGEN front bar on my euro. if i do decide to sell, i'll let everybody know. first come first served

Pum[Z]
30-05-2005, 06:29 PM
i may be wanting to sell my OEM fogs once i get the MUGEN front bar on my euro. if i do decide to sell, i'll let everybody know. first come first served

Or u guys could by my OEM Euro Fog Lights now.. Its just sitting in my garage doing nothing.. But BYO ur own Fog light Switch & wires :D

stephen8512
30-05-2005, 06:41 PM
hahahahha i knew u were gonna reply to this mike! :D
yeah guys buy mike's foggies first cuz he's already kitted his car ages ago and last time i heard they were pretty expensive dust collectors.

VirIIx
31-05-2005, 11:09 AM
i could do with another pair of fogs...

the oem would match nicely :b

4 fogs mmmm :b~~~

euro77
31-05-2005, 09:56 PM
where would you put the second set???

VirIIx
31-05-2005, 10:48 PM
uh.. im sure i'll find a spot somewhere.. *eyes shift*
how bout.. uhm the gap in the bottom middle?

Pum[Z]
31-05-2005, 11:10 PM
hahahahha i knew u were gonna reply to this mike! :D
yeah guys buy mike's foggies first cuz he's already kitted his car ages ago and last time i heard they were pretty expensive dust collectors.

hehehehehe.. Well they are becoming pretty expensive dust collector and paper holders...

4 foggies virIIx, thats too hardcore :rolleyes:

VirIIx
01-06-2005, 07:06 AM
hahahaa.. c'mom, don't shoot me down coz i wanna pimp up a bit :)

kam
01-06-2005, 05:32 PM
hahahaa.. c'mom, don't shoot me down coz i wanna pimp up a bit :)

Somebodies up doing some early morning posting :D

(Today, 07:06 AM )

jl88rl
03-06-2005, 12:48 AM
I got quoted $700+ for fogs installed!

I so wanna get em, but i really cant justify it aswell.

kam
03-06-2005, 06:20 PM
dam, i didnt know they were THAT expensive... wow

can you get after market fogs ?

why are they so expensive anyway? its just 2 little lights with a switch...

yfin
08-12-2005, 09:55 PM
How many people find the Euro fogs useful? I have the standard but also a Euro R Kit that came with fog lights (but no harness). I will definately install the fogs but tossing up whether I will wire it up. The reason I am unsure is the harness kit costs about $150.

Are the fogs more to "be seen" rather than "to see" - if you know what I mean?

The other thing is in Melbourne the cops are anal about using fog or driving lights unless it is foggy. So the times when I can lawfully use them are limited...

What do you think? I am erring on wiring them up - but maybe they are just for show. Opinions please.

accordoholic
09-12-2005, 12:05 AM
yfin, I'd say just install it if you already have the fogs.

Here in NSW, it's just as bad about booking people using fogs at the wrong time. But having said that, first, it definitely looks better with fogs and secondly which is the main point, when there is fog, you can use it, and when you don't have it you will ask yourself how come you didn't install it. And also, you can also use it when it rains.

Have a good think about it.

Ferrarista
09-12-2005, 12:22 AM
Well here is my example.

Reason why i didnt buy a Lux is because i hate leather seats and after 2 BMWS am sick on sunroofs, so it was pointless to buy a LUX.

I bought OM fog lights and put them on, IMO they make the car look much better.

remixed02
09-12-2005, 08:32 AM
I just got a set of JDM ones installed by a mate of mine a few days ago.

Personally, I've always liked the "look" of fogs but couldn't really justify the $985 to buy them from Honda dealer and have them installed. The set I purchased was from ozhonda member for $300 then a mate of mine who works at a car dealership installed them for me for free coz I gave him a pair of new kicks (Don't ask I have heaps jus sitting in my closet :D )

What swayed my decision to install the fogs was the fact I'm gonna put 6000k HIDS on my euro and when it rained I wanted to be sure that I wa able to see the road properly and also that I could be seen.

I have to agree that they look great but it left me wondering when the hell am I gonna use these bloody things coz it get's foggy in my area like once or twice a friggen year lol. Come to think of it, it doesn't rain all that often in Syds either so go figure. I sure as hell don't wanna get booked by some power tripping cop because I have them on in fogless conditions.

You have bought the fogs already yfin so IMO you should wire them up just in case you need them.

Ferrarista
09-12-2005, 08:45 AM
How many people find the Euro fogs useful? I have the standard but also a Euro R Kit that came with fog lights (but no harness). I will definately install the fogs but tossing up whether I will wire it up. The reason I am unsure is the harness kit costs about $150.

Are the fogs more to "be seen" rather than "to see" - if you know what I mean?

The other thing is in Melbourne the cops are anal about using fog or driving lights unless it is foggy. So the times when I can lawfully use them are limited...

What do you think? I am erring on wiring them up - but maybe they are just for show. Opinions please.

The fog lights are completly and utterly useless, but they look good and give you some light on the sides. Im pretty sure its because the regs (or lack of them) that we have here regarding foglights, if you look at the NZ Euro or the TSX u will see that the lights are actually yellow which are most effective but extreemly ugly.

Guys, why you paying so much for your lights??? i got mine for $380 genuine and installed them with a mate, took 30min.

Poeter
09-12-2005, 09:13 AM
The fog lights are completly and utterly useless, but they look good and give you some light on the sides.

I sorta agree to that because you get fined if you use them in a normal night.

I copped it with my Jazz Vti-s and the cop said it was an unlawful use and claiming it dazzles other drivers. I never knew about that in the first place. $78 gone without mercy. I haven't used foglights ever since then. :thumbdwn:

Also, the dumb thing was that, there was lots of cars that had foglights turned on passing by and on the oncoming direction.

remixed02
09-12-2005, 09:13 AM
The fog lights are completly and utterly useless, but they look good and give you some light on the sides. Im pretty sure its because the regs (or lack of them) that we have here regarding foglights, if you look at the NZ Euro or the TSX u will see that the lights are actually yellow which are most effective but extreemly ugly.

Guys, why you paying so much for your lights??? i got mine for $380 genuine and installed them with a mate, took 30min.

Agreed...Honda is such a friggen rip off!

Geez I think mine are yellow? lol Is there a huge difference between JDM and OEM fogs? I've only checked the foglights during the day becoz I can't even drive my euro coz I snapped my Achillies tendon six weeks ago and now I can't use the clutch lol Well not yet but soon.

Are there any other reasons or conditions that you can use you fogs other than fog & rain? It's just that I've seen so many people with foglights on at nightime when it's clear skies. Somelights they don't even look like foglights because the lighting looks the same as the headlights if you know what I mean?

Ferrarista
09-12-2005, 05:12 PM
I sorta agree to that because you get fined if you use them in a normal night.

I copped it with my Jazz Vti-s and the cop said it was an unlawful use and claiming it dazzles other drivers. I never knew about that in the first place. $78 gone without mercy. I haven't used foglights ever since then. :thumbdwn:

Also, the dumb thing was that, there was lots of cars that had foglights turned on passing by and on the oncoming direction.

Did you get any demirt points taken off.

That doesnt make sence, you go to the country and there are signs that say use lights in day time. Its safer.

accordoholic
09-12-2005, 06:00 PM
That doesnt make sence, you go to the country and there are signs that say use lights in day time. Its safer.

Yes, lights as in low beam, not high beam or fogs.

EuroAccord13
09-12-2005, 07:32 PM
Without Foggys = Opening for CAI :D :D

kam
09-12-2005, 07:49 PM
The other thing is in Melbourne the cops are anal about using fog or driving lights unless it is foggy

are you sure about that? ive never heard from anyone i know about cops not liking fogs. i always see cars with them on, and whats the big deal anyway? they never 'dazzle' me. only once have i been dazzled, and that was some bombed out car behind me had just thrown on some extra bright blue fogs ghetto style.

in my frends vectra, if u turn the fogs on at night time, it lets you see more of the road right in front of the car..

yfin
09-12-2005, 07:53 PM
are you sure about that? ive never heard from anyone i know about cops not liking fogs. i always see cars with them on, and whats the big deal anyway? they never 'dazzle' me. only once have i been dazzled, and that was some bombed out car behind me had just thrown on some extra bright blue fogs ghetto style.

Yes I am sure. It is illegal if the conditions do not require them on - and I know people who have received fines for this.

EuroAccord13
09-12-2005, 08:32 PM
Yes I am sure. It is illegal if the conditions do not require them on - and I know people who have received fines for this.

The law in Victoria says it's illegal but the buffer is not clear, it's up to whether the cop is anal about it. I've been stopped and given a warning by cops once when I used to have foggys on at night but there are other times where the cops don't give a damm about it and sometimes, they themselves have their foggys on in the pursuit car..

What I don't like are people who drive their cars with their reverse foggys on.. That is IRRITATING...

yfin
09-12-2005, 08:46 PM
it's up to whether the cop is anal about it.

Of course - it is in their discretion. One of my dads friends was in the city and didn't realise he was being followed by a cop car. He was pulled over and told that whilst being followed he made 3 left turns without indicating 3 times. The cop then wrote up 3 tickets for $100 each. Now that is anal.

Poeter
10-12-2005, 08:15 PM
Did you get any demirt points taken off.

The cop didn't mention any demerits and i checked myRecord on rta site. There's none taken off which is good.

Atjo
11-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Does it look nice to install fog lights on the euro with mugen front bumper installed (03-05)? Cause it looks nice on the mugen front bumper for 06 euro.

http://www.boomplustoys.net//images/mugen/mugen_tsx_front_bumper_new.jpg

stephen8512
11-12-2005, 10:40 PM
what may look nice on one thing doesnt necessarily mean its gonna look nice on another
e.g bonnet scoops on a hyundai excel

kam
12-12-2005, 04:12 AM
Does it look nice to install fog lights on the euro with mugen front bumper installed (03-05)? Cause it looks nice on the mugen front bumper for 06 euro.

http://www.boomplustoys.net//images/mugen/mugen_tsx_front_bumper_new.jpg

ive yet to see an automobile that fogs dont look good on :D

yfin
03-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Has anyone tried a higher wattage globe in the fog light housing? If yes - is there much difference or any problems?

Unkie
03-10-2006, 10:48 PM
I thought H11 only came in 55W?
I do recall a HID conversion for the front foggies on this forum. There sure was a difference there in brightness.

yfin
03-10-2006, 10:59 PM
I thought H11 only came in 55W?
I do recall a HID conversion for the front foggies on this forum. There sure was a difference there in brightness.

Maybe, but I saw on one of the US forums some guy saying he was going to try 80w. I was thinking maybe to pick up some stronger globes in Singapore or something. It is a glass housing so that is ok but I am still wondering about whether it will be too hot.

Unkie
03-10-2006, 11:11 PM
You're right, there are 80W H11. Had a quick squiz on the US eBay.
That extra lighting would be nice =) Perhaps drill some extra holes in the back or sides of the housing for better ventilation and heat dissipation?

AP1 F20c
04-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Apart from aiming the fog lights/driving lights to fire upwards vs. downwards. The improved lighting even from a HID conversion kit is pointless without beam adjustment. I recently did the factory bulb to aftermarket bulb and finally HID conversation.

yfin
04-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Apart from aiming the fog lights/driving lights to fire upwards vs. downwards. The improved lighting even from a HID conversion kit is pointless without beam adjustment. I recently did the factory bulb to aftermarket bulb and finally HID conversation.

HID conversion would be nice but I don't think I am going to be able to use the driving lights all that often in Victoria.

So you were not happy with the aftermarket bulb?

AP1 F20c
05-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Slight color change, reduced visibility/light output thanks to film coated bulb. Chalk and cheese compared to retrofitted D2S HIDs. AFAIK - The rice bulbs were flagship PIAA ones as well.

yfin
08-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Hey fellas - I just noticed something. I have read this chaps articles before and he seems to know everything there is to know about automotive lighting.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

But look what he says about the H11:

http://dsl.torque.net/images/H11.jpg
H11 bulbs

These new single-filament 55w bulbs are quickly supplanting HB4/9006 in new low-beam headlamp and fog lamp designs. (They are not physically interchangeable with any 9000-series bulb!) As is the case with other bulb families—such as 9004/9007, 9005/9006, etc.—the H11 has different base keys than its H9 high-beam and H8 fog lamp counterparts. Somebody goofed on the spec, though, for the difference between H11 and H9 base keys is insufficient; it's too easy to install an H9 bulb where an H11 belongs. The difference in light output between these two designs is enormous (1350 lumens from the H11, 2100 from the H9), so putting an H9 in place of an H11 will obviously cause the lamp to produce a lot more light. Some lamps are designed such that the optics would handle the extra light well, without creating excessive glare for other road users. Many, however, are not. As with H8 and H9, H11 bulbs are not widely available in the aftermarket.

http://dsl.torque.net/images/H9.jpg

H9 bulbs

These new single-filament 65w bulbs are rapidly gaining popularity amongst automakers for use primarily in high-beam headlamps, often in conjunction with H11 bulbs for the low beams. H9 is an extremely high output design (2100 lumens) with an extremely white light color.
H9 bulbs are not physically interchangeable with any 9000-series bulb. As with H8 and H11, these are currently tough to find in the aftermarket.

Have I followed what Mr Stern is saying correctly? He is suggesting that a H9 bulb will fit a H11 application giving off 2100 lumens instead of 1350 yet only draw 65w? Is it worth giving this a try do you think - I really want my spots to be somewhat useful rather than cosmetic. And I am not going HID.

By the way - because I am o/s if anyone does happen to try this please speak up and post up any differences. I am very interested in this.

yfin
08-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Update - this H11 to H9 conversion has been done on HSV Commodores and they are raving about it.

OK who is going to try this - if you do please post up some pics (a DIY would be perfect as there are lots of people with fogs on the Euro). As for fitment please let us know how you go - on the Commodores they are doing some minor work the globe socket but I don't know exactly what they mean without looking at the globe. http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=34619

The bonus with this mod is you can use even a basic H9 globe and you will get almost 50% more light.