PDA

View Full Version : [Euro] Floor mats

nav12c
30-05-2005, 12:15 PM
Hi Guys,
As some of you may know, i recently bought a new 05 Euro Lux AT.

Now, in the other thread it was mentioned that the factory mats tend to wear out quite quickly, and even after having the car for only 2 weeks i can see that this will happen.

Another member (i think it was PNR888) suggested putting another set of mats over the top to try and combat this. Call me cheap or whatever, but i thought i'd do the same thing. So i went into the local Super Cheap store and bought a set of 2 mats (they are meant to be for the rear but sit quite well). I only put this in the front as the back seats hardly get used anyway. The colour is not ideal, but is not too bad.

This is how the front now looks.
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=500/2648IMG_5546.JPG

Also, for anyone who wants the details, it was $20 from SCA and is the below product.
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=500/2648IMG_5557.JPG

aaronng
30-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Cool, and it looks not bad. I might drop by SCA to pick one up too

BLKek
30-05-2005, 02:27 PM
I've been doing this with my car for over a year now and the originals are still in reasonable shape, who cares whether it looks good, saves them from looking bad in the end, mate of mine has a VW Golf and ended up getting the tailored ones from Autobahn that fit exactly over the factory mats, does the trick but makes you wonder why you get the factory mats in the first place....

bigdongers
30-05-2005, 02:48 PM
does look pretty good. Does it slide around much?

PERTH_EURO
30-05-2005, 04:44 PM
i dont get it hey. Why put mats on top of mats to protect the accord ones?

Then you dont get to see them, and u may as well buy the ones on top originally and be done with it.

Same with car bras that people leave on all the time.... ???

Why preserve your car for the next guy?

AccordEuro
30-05-2005, 04:55 PM
get the plastic ones, thatz wat i do...cool looking and and easy clean
http://www.ug.it.usyd.edu.au/~yche8115/euro/picture012.jpg

nav12c
30-05-2005, 04:57 PM
yeah i know, but i have seen some of the mats that other Euro owners have and after a while they dont look so good. or could be a case of me just being pedantic.

does look pretty good. Does it slide around much?
umm, not that much. it has a rubber back with ribs on it and hangs onto the Euro mat quite well.

bigdongers
30-05-2005, 06:26 PM
i dont get it hey. Why put mats on top of mats to protect the accord ones?

Then you dont get to see them, and u may as well buy the ones on top originally and be done with it.

Same with car bras that people leave on all the time.... ???

Why preserve your car for the next guy?

Im with you. I havnt got mats on top of my factory CRV mats and they cost heaps more than the Euro mats! But I can see how people want to protect the mats.

KL1368
30-05-2005, 06:39 PM
hey all, i appreciate people wanting to look after their car interiors n'all, but i can't say i entirely understand the mentality behind placing mats over mats! correct me if i'm wrong, but weren't car mats introduced to protect the factory carpet beneath from damage in the first place? now people are suggesting to protect the mats with other mats? lolz... seriously fellas. :confused:

Pum[Z]
30-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Neither do I.. I don't have mats on top of my tailored euro mats... I see why u guys want to preserve the mats and i guess its so much easier to clean the mats...

But then it defeats the purpose of buying tailored euro mats in the first place...

stephen8512
30-05-2005, 06:44 PM
lol
thats what i was thinkin as well
soon enuff pple will be spraypainting the euro with the original colour underneath it to protect it from bird poo. hehehe.

but i also see where these pple are coming from. its a new car and the OEM floor mats are pretty weak and they morph quickly and develops bald patches. in my old toyota, only a lil wear and tear, no balding watsoever.

yfin
30-05-2005, 07:01 PM
get the plastic ones, thatz wat i do...cool looking and and easy clean
http://www.ug.it.usyd.edu.au/~yche8115/euro/picture012.jpg

Not a fan of those mats - I think I saw them in a taxi! Hehe :D

aaronng
30-05-2005, 08:42 PM
My mats have 2 bald patches. Just dropped by SCA to buy those square mats. Not bad I think. Does Honda just sell the driver's side fitted mats on its own?

PNR888
30-05-2005, 11:36 PM
Well, we all love our euros so we protect it inside out.
with paint work, we can do paint protection, wash, clay, cleaner, polish, wax..etc. for talilored floor mats, I think it is part of the euro, so I want to protect it too. The best way I found is put a layer of cheaper mat over it. Double protection :D
This way, the cheaper mat cop all the dirts, mud, dog shit, water, grease etc (maybe smell from smelly shoes) you bring in. After a while you will get odour build up, and you simply throw the cheapy away. you can afford to change it every 12 months or so.

This is just how I do it. IMO, prevention is better than cure.

mcb
30-05-2005, 11:40 PM
Like others, I don't see the point in putting mats over mats (If I had an umbrella that leaked, I would not buy another umbrella to put over the first one, just to keep me dry).

My mats are only about 6 weeks old and are also starting to show marks.

It seems to me that Honda's $300 (rrp) mats are not fit for purpose and we should all be giving Honda lots of grief about the quality (or lack of it). I have a set on Holden mats in another car that are many years old and they do not show this level of marking.

Has anybody grizzled to Honda yet, and if so what was their response.

aaronng
31-05-2005, 02:36 AM
It seems to me that Honda's $300 (rrp) mats are not fit for purpose and we should all be giving Honda lots of grief about the quality (or lack of it). I have a set on Holden mats in another car that are many years old and they do not show this level of marking.

Has anybody grizzled to Honda yet, and if so what was their response.
It takes quite a bit of effort to get Honda to admit a problem. So far all our fixes has been through our understanding dealers. I don't think we've seen an official recall for the car problems that we might come across other than the trunk wiring harness one. I don't think they'll do anything about our mats wearing out.

as001
31-05-2005, 05:08 PM
I’m going to rise this issue at my next service, I've got the same problem with my mats at the moment and I’ve only done 7,600km and there are mad wear marks when my the heals feet are positioned for clutch and brake/throttle no ones should have to pony up for mats on top of the OEM's they optioned (subie did the smart this and had a vinyl bit for where your feet are usually positioned preventing wear marks on the mats)