PDA

View Full Version : Qualifying Discussion thread/poll

LUD02C
30-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Interesting topic this is.
I personally believe that qualifying is find who is the fastest on the track due to them setting up the car perfect for there needs.

So i'm with the original 12 laps and they can run what they like in the car.
Or you can have what we have now with your race setup
There is also the 2 day qualifying which they put your times together or if you got a suggestion lets here it.

JDM.Power
30-05-2005, 09:07 PM
original style is better IMO

jackosimm
30-05-2005, 09:59 PM
hmm ofcourse the old stuff, c'mon 100% lol I really enjoyed it back then

Hondavirgin
31-05-2005, 10:59 AM
Nah, i prefer the one lap shootout style, although i would be happy for them to run in qualifying trim. But given thats not an option up there, my vote is for one lap. I reckon it gives a great spectacle where you got one lap to do it.

Kawasaki
31-05-2005, 12:07 PM
original is cool although I do see the point to the race trim qual.

IRI
31-05-2005, 12:14 PM
I like old style cos the cars were at their fastest...

Vivski
31-05-2005, 02:46 PM
I reckon the new system is great. I like the two combined, 'cos that gives you the extra factor of race setup and you can also compare the two laps to see just how light or heavy each car is running.

The new new system should be good, but I agree with the drivers in that the qualifying order should be determined by whoever goes quickest in Sat practice. So then you'll have a good flying lap in practice to compare to the race setup qualifying lap.

At the moment, there's no incentive to go flat out in the practice session. If you give it some significance, it might turn into a 1 hour qualifying session, which would be cool.

jackosimm
31-05-2005, 05:48 PM
I say qualifying is about who's the fastest driver/car. Not about having set up's to be carried through to the race.

Jus-10
31-05-2005, 08:59 PM
I'm for the old system. I can see the excitement of the 1 lap shootout, but you get the same sort of excitement in the old system as the seconds are counting down to the end of the session and some of the guys are still out there busting a flying lap....you get traffic in the mix and all sorts of things....it's kind of like a mini race in itself.

One thing I would restrict though is how they used to bump up the rpm, have special qualifying engines, and all sorts of things just to shave off those extra 10ths. The engine should remain in "normal" race spec, but everything else is a free.

jackosimm
31-05-2005, 09:31 PM
yeh I aggree to your last paragraph, just tone it down a little from the old spec's

civ_sik
31-05-2005, 10:46 PM
ive got my own system!!!! ahahaha kimi always on pole!!! webber second... honda fill the second row!! and it stays like that always and the rest can slog it out for 5th and back! lol Na seriously old systems (2002 System) was better but it would need to be refined a fair bit!

Vivski
01-06-2005, 01:36 AM
I like the one lap dash. Watching each car through a flying lap and getting every hundredth out of the lap. With the old system, it's very hard to know who to look at. The cameras follow one car, then towards the end of that lap they slow down and meanwhile you've missed someone else doing a flying lap.

I also like the idea of making them put it all into one lap. See if they can handle the pressure of knowing everyone's watching them. If they stuff up a corner, they don't just cruise for the rest of the lap and try again... it's flat out.

And it gives us some great grids with some electing to go longer and others going light to get a better spot on the grid. It stops the guy with the fastest car (for a long time this was Michael, but now it will be Kimi) from banging in the fastest lap then putting a huge load of fuel in. Then they hold everyone up in a long line until they either have to pit or you get light enough to make a gap and then the race is over.
With this system, you get the top of the grid at a price. You have a tear off into the distance otherwise those behind you will get you when you have to pit.

- easier/better TV coverage
- more exciting
- driver skill on display
- no do-overs
- interesting grids/tactics

That's why I don't want to go back to the old system.

Mr Vti
01-06-2005, 05:53 PM
hmm i like the old system of 12 laps but i would also like to see each car having 3 laps to prove there time instead of this 1 lap they have now.

jackosimm
01-06-2005, 07:53 PM
good thing is that the bloody 2 session one is goooooooooone:D