PDA

View Full Version : D16y8 Conversion To B16a Jdm

MR COUPE IT
31-05-2005, 02:46 PM
HI PEEPS
I OWN A CIVIC 96 WITH A D16Y8 SOHC VTEC. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF I CAN USE MY EXISTING WIRING HARNESS LOOM OR WHATEVER THEY CALL IT ON A B16A JDM. I HAVE SOURCED A B16A FOR A GOOD PRICE BUT THE ONLY PROBLEM IS ITS AN ENGINE AND BOX ONLY. NO WIRING OR COMPUTER. IF SOMEONE COULD LET ME KNOW BEFORE I BUY IT AND POSSIBLY WASTE MY MONEY BECAUSE I HAVE HEARD THAT ITS NEAR IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND THE WIRING ON ITS OWN. THANKS PEEPS :honda:

Kawasaki
31-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Man your Caps is hurting my eyes, lower case should be fine next time.

I would make sure you can get a computer before you purchase this engine and i believe because your car is already vtec that the harness should work.

Anyone please feel free to prove me wrong.

VT3C
31-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Well chances are the B16A is from an EG/Del-Sol so is more than likely OBD1.. your 96 VTi is OBD2a.

technically it's illegal to fit an older engine into a newer chassis and OBD conversions can be painfull..

the good news is that you can use your D16Y8 harness on your B16A, however you may need to extend a few wires on the loom to fit certain sensors etc. but basically everything you'll need (minus Knock sensor etc) is there.

you may need to re-use many sensors and all the plugs from your D16 harness to convert the B16A to OBD2.

you can run your B16A with your D16Y8 ECU as it DOES have VTEC, but it's redline is like 7200RPM compared with over 8000RPM of the B16A.. so you wont be getting the most out of the motor, but you technically CAN run it from the SOHC VTEC ECU..

when doing a swap like this I reccomend that you get a front-cut preferably cause EVERYTHING you need is there.. you say you have the motor and Gearbox no harness or ECU, but what about axles, linkages, water hoses, mounts etc..

finding all those parts from a wrecker's or whatever can dramatically increase the timeframe and cost of your 'simple swap'.

CTR Coupe
31-05-2005, 05:07 PM
If your only putting a B16a in a coupe. Sell your coupe and buy a VTI-R coupe. That way you not only get the b16a but you get upgraded brakes and suspension.
If you want to do a swap you’re better off putting a larger engine in it, either a B18c (Integra VTI-R) or a B18cR (Integra Type R). All 3 of these engines take the same amount of effort to install.

keric_02
31-05-2005, 05:16 PM
If your only putting a B16a in a coupe. Sell your coupe and buy a VTI-R coupe. That way you not only get the b16a but you get upgraded brakes and suspension.

yeah and in the end it'll probably cost u the same... but u end up with a vtir coupe instead :D

nds
31-05-2005, 08:34 PM
If you want to do a swap you’re better off putting a larger engine in it, either a B18c (Integra VTI-R) or a B18cR (Integra Type R). All 3 of these engines take the same amount of effort to install.

Sorry to join onto the bandwagon but i'm in the same boat as the guy who started this thread. I've had many a dreams of converting my car(EK coupe VTi) to a b16/b18 but after considering all the options it 'seems' wiser just to sell up and get a VTiR. My hat is off to those who do the conversion it seems easy from what you guys have mentioned

Cheers

panda[cRx]
31-05-2005, 08:56 PM
first of all typing in ALL CAPS IS NOT GONNA WIN TOO MANY FRIENDS HERE.

it's only 7/16 of an inch away, it's not that hard to turn off is it?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/panda_crx/keyboard4.jpg

back on topic i'm with CTR Coupe, just sell up and get a VTiR. saves alot of time and effort for the same result. if you get sick of that then go on to bigger things like b18c, boost or even k20a ;)

AKILYA666
01-10-2005, 10:35 PM
if you buy a car you should buy it with the right engine the first time round as itz going to save you a lot of time and bother down the track. I know how you feel though as i have the same engine and i'm starting to get sick of its low performance.

mini_s2000
01-10-2005, 10:46 PM
sell your car and buy a vti-r coupe

hotcvic
01-10-2005, 10:51 PM
What the? The D16Y8 is a USDM (US Domestic Model) engine ONLY. Did you import your coupe from the USA?

If this is the case, the only place you will really get some help will be on the US Forums. Try these sites:
www.honda-acura.net
www.hondaswap.com
www.d-series.org
www.honda-tech.com

These are excellent for reference on all sorts of issues/mods as the Civic is the most modified compact car in the US (as if you didn't know already).

KB
02-10-2005, 12:18 PM
All AUDM Delivered coupes were built in the US factory.

If you do put this engine in mate. Ill buy your D16y8 Depending on how many KMS it has.

Parrott
02-10-2005, 06:50 PM
All AUDM Delivered coupes were built in the US factory.

If you do put this engine in mate. Ill buy your D16y8 Depending on how many KMS it has.

im on to you kbee.....

as vt3c was saying for legality issues you should really look at a b18c (vtir teg) h22a.... or you could work the sohc :D :D www.d-series.org

AKILYA666
02-10-2005, 10:13 PM
kb not sellin the engine as thinking of going the turbo'd route. sorry bro unless anyone got a cheap b16a for sale

Mugen_B16B
03-10-2005, 07:18 PM
d16y8 is standard in the vti coupes here, i dunno wtf ur goin on about:S

JDMTMY
04-10-2005, 12:20 AM
im gona have to agree with most of what the others have said....dont bother going with a b16a. mainly because you could sell your vti and with the money saved...buy an EM1 with a b16 already in it.
your better off boosting it or getting a bigger b series engine.. idealy id really wana go a b18c or franky conversion. but im thinkin easiest way would be to boost.. i was wondering what times a boosted d16y8 would pull running on stock internals and low boost?? sorry to hijack thread. but really wana have my car boosted or have a new engine by the end of this year or early next depending on money......