PDA

View Full Version : Genuine Honda Brakes vs Aftermarket Brakes

LiKPiC
31-05-2005, 11:07 PM
Hey :wave: , I got a 99 Civic Gli and I got to change the brakes. I spoke to some ppl and they say to get genuine honda parts. but they cost like 2x aftermarket parts. are genuine honda parts worth it when it comes to brakes? :confused:

jamchen
31-05-2005, 11:28 PM
Hey :wave: , I got a 99 Civic Gli and I got to change the brakes. I spoke to some ppl and they say to get genuine honda parts. but they cost like 2x aftermarket parts. are genuine honda parts worth it when it comes to brakes? :confused:

i assume u got ur quotes stright off dealers right? well, if you drive more "exotic" than usual, maybe aftermarket ones are the choices. but for me, i use honda (or i should say ACURA) brake pads. i got quoted for like 180 or something from dealer fpr jsut the fronts. thought that was alrite since its a MDX. but when i searching on ebay, i found this guy from the state who is a honda/acura dealership. he was offering OEM pads (fronts and rears) for 120 US. and of course i had to pay teh shipping of 43 US but hey, i also got 5 filters. so i paid in total of 200 US for pads and filters... around 280 AU...
so maybe its worth of a try... :D

spoondc2
01-06-2005, 12:05 AM

You won't think so after you've tried aftermarket products......
especially the pads, the differences are just like ice and sand paper scrubbing on the disc

panda[cRx]
01-06-2005, 12:47 AM
yeah but from the sounds of it it sounds like he is more refering to calipers rotors etc

CONAN
01-06-2005, 09:40 AM
I would say it really depends on what your doing with your car?

ekslut
01-06-2005, 10:16 AM
Hey :wave: , I got a 99 Civic Gli and I got to change the brakes. :confused:

First off, what part of the brakes? Pads, disks, lines, calipers? Then what do you do with your car? Do you go to or are you intrested in going on track? Do you enjoy a quick drive throught the twistys? Bit of fun around the backstreets? Or do you take it easy and not speed?

Obviously as we all know Honda parts are very good. If you are just a regular driver then OEM Honda parts are fine for you. But if you enjoy late braking and a bit of fun, then get some upgraded aftermarket pads to start off with and go from there.

type one
01-06-2005, 10:25 AM
I just recently upgraded my front discs, calipers and pads - one size up - so 9.3" rotors to 10.3" and the corresponding calipers etc.

For my EG on the road this braking is CRAZY good... it is so good i find myself re-aligning the way i drive my car cos it actually shifts too much weight at times LOL...

So going back to your point, answer EKslut's q's cos they are good ones... dun overkill your situation unless you need to... having said that my brake upgrade is the best mod i have done to date.

ECU-MAN
01-06-2005, 12:36 PM
for normal street use, use genuine pads. yes they cost more, but there nicer to your rotors and last longer than alot of other brands.

jamchen
01-06-2005, 03:56 PM
but if its pads you are after and you do drive aggreesively...
you may think of use ceramic pads... they will perform better than the OEM, but just keep in mind, pads that perform better will let your rotors last shorter coz more frictions between pads and rotors... :wave:

i had a friend drives a 318i and he changed to ceramic pads... and the result was thay his front rotors got eaten so badly and he ahd to replace them!

CTR Coupe
01-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Just remember the more hardcore the pads you get the more they warp/wear your discs.

An example is the 2L Audi race cars used to use brake pads that lasted two race meetings the disc brakes only lasted one race meeting.

LiKPiC
07-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Sorry, I should've made it clearer :p . I was referring to only the brakepads. but thanks for the input. Nah, I don't take my car to the track (it's a Gli my friend!! and everything in it is stock, lol!) It's just for everyday driving. Thanks again for your opinions! :)

ekslut
07-06-2005, 02:16 PM
Personally I would be sticking to OEM, or if you dont want to spend as much get some Bendix pads. But as mentioned by ECU-MAN, OEM ones are a bit nicer and should last a bit longer.