PDA

View Full Version : in tha box ?

DC2108
31-05-2005, 11:47 PM
hey for this week pay im gonna get air filter but im not sure wich one too get ?
i was thinking of getting a K&N one that looks like the stok one n gos inside the box for aournd $150
they say if it inside the box its cold air intake so it better
but would i get much sound from it if its in the box ?

if any one noe better plz tell wat kind

kousoku
31-05-2005, 11:49 PM
nope, would sound pretty much the same. wouldn;t waste the money getting replacement panal filter.
save up for sri intake, or save up longer for cai, or just go pod filter.

panda[cRx]
01-06-2005, 12:02 AM
^lmao its not a waste at all.
use the k&n in the stock box but mod the intake to the box. i had noticable results with my old setup

joyride
01-06-2005, 08:13 AM
use the panel filter if you want to keep your car legal. (this applies to nsw, not sure about other states)

franki
01-06-2005, 09:02 AM
if you want max gains go like an injen cai
if you want max sound go sri or short pod filter
if you want legal just get a replacement filter :honda:

nipnip
01-06-2005, 01:08 PM
nope, would sound pretty much the same. wouldn;t waste the money getting replacement panal filter.
save up for sri intake, or save up longer for cai, or just go pod filter.

modified the airbox on mine with stock filter, and there is increased induction noise, and a dc2 is not a panel filter in the box. it is a pod filter, stock is CAI, just not the most efficient

urbanracer.com
01-06-2005, 03:38 PM
i put a panel k&n in my gf's car.. and it felt a lil bit more responsive. doesnt sound like a pod. but i think it was worth it.

If you after gains.. save your money and get cai as suggested earlier. :)

crispy
01-06-2005, 03:53 PM
If you want gains on a vtir, get the replacement K&N pod filter and mod your airbox intake like Panda said. You can mimick the comptech icebox's setup and this intake is aparently the best available!! This is also a legal system, although u wont get much sound from this.. it will be worth it in the end. Correct me if im wrong but you could always just take the top part of the airbox off on the Vtir, and then have a sort of CAI system anyway and also have that honda sound roaring from the engine bay.

nipnip
01-06-2005, 06:26 PM
stock airbox - just remove the resonator box and you can get your induction noise, no need to remove the lid, its what i did to my type r anyway

cut your resonator box and keep the main piping to your airbox, and there you go, poor mans mugen box/ comptech knockoff

its not the best, just a compromise

5poon
01-06-2005, 10:26 PM
Anyone have a completed pic of this diy?

DC2108
01-06-2005, 11:43 PM
hey thanx for that but wats cai n sir ? plz tell mi
n dc2 has a pod in the box aready pplz lolz so im was just thinking of getting the same fiolter but k&n >?

sever_all_ties
02-06-2005, 12:01 AM
CAI = cold air intake
SRI = short ram intake

correct me if im wrong.

nipnip
02-06-2005, 12:51 AM
in short, modify your airbox by removing the resonator in the front bumper. put a k&n filter in (or spoon, or trust) and it is more efficient

or save and buy mugen CAI (approx $950) or comptech ice box (approx $550?)

i think its a good idea to put the k&n in, good compromise untill u can save for mugen

DC2108
02-06-2005, 11:23 PM
wats short ram intake

GSI-PSI
02-06-2005, 11:58 PM
Dont bother wasting ya time on mugen when panda has the best way of modifying ya box. It does work as i had the exact same setup when mine was N/A. Noticable power diff especially on cold nights. U gotta jack up the drivers side of ya car, remove part of ya splash panel 2 get 2 the resonator box inside yafront guard/bumper. Remove this box completely. Buy some proper cold air intake piping from a performance shop. $25 per meter approx. plum it into the bottom of the box and run it 2 the front bar or under the front bar facing forward. All u need 2 do now is purchase a K&N pod for approx $130 and if u ask u can actually get the exact replacement shape honda style K&N pod 2 suit the integra box. (mate purchased it for his car. Its correct that u wont get the roaring sound. It will sound better than stock tho. And lastly leave your lid on ya airbox or 2 much hot air gets into your pod from ya engine bay and ya car wont have maximum performance. Take the lid off if u r one of those guys who likes all show and no go ;)

nipnip
03-06-2005, 12:32 AM
Dont bother wasting ya time on mugen when panda has the best way of modifying ya box. It does work as i had the exact same setup when mine was N/A. Noticable power diff especially on cold nights. U gotta jack up the drivers side of ya car, remove part of ya splash panel 2 get 2 the resonator box inside yafront guard/bumper. Remove this box completely. Buy some proper cold air intake piping from a performance shop. $25 per meter approx. plum it into the bottom of the box and run it 2 the front bar or under the front bar facing forward. All u need 2 do now is purchase a K&N pod for approx $130 and if u ask u can actually get the exact replacement shape honda style K&N pod 2 suit the integra box. (mate purchased it for his car. Its correct that u wont get the roaring sound. It will sound better than stock tho. And lastly leave your lid on ya airbox or 2 much hot air gets into your pod from ya engine bay and ya car wont have maximum performance. Take the lid off if u r one of those guys who likes all show and no go ;)

some valid points. diameter and length also play an important role when choosing your piping, look at the j racing intake, comptech, injen and mugen intakes, there is a reason why thier piping is that length or diameter, all ha

heres a few links you can read from people who have had first hand experience, come to your own conclusions

dyno proven results
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=218935

mugen airbox
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=246990

comptech icebox
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14077

your not wasting your time with modding stock airbox and putting a drop in filter (this is what i've done). but in no way is it the best intake, you get what you pay for, theres a reason why intakes cost that much

GSI-PSI
03-06-2005, 12:40 AM
very true but all i was sayin is that u have 2 be either crazy or stupid 2 purchase cold air intake for almost 1k. And i agree that pipe lengths and widths contribute so basically all he has 2 do is read up on ya links and that should give him a fair indication and the most he will spend is approx $180 compared 2 approx $950 for a mugen setup. But then again if u go mugen u might get yaself a nice mugen sticker 2 put on the side of the car :/

some valid points. diameter and length also play an important role when choosing your piping, look at the j racing intake, comptech, injen and mugen intakes, there is a reason why thier piping is that length or diameter, all ha

heres a few links you can read from people who have had first hand experience, come to your own conclusions

dyno proven results
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=218935

mugen airbox
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=246990

comptech icebox
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14077

your wasting your time with modding stock airbox and putting a drop in filter (this is what i've done). but in no way is it the best intake, you get what you pay for, theres a reason why intakes cost that much

nipnip
03-06-2005, 12:50 AM
very true but all i was sayin is that u have 2 be either crazy or stupid 2 purchase cold air intake for almost 1k. And i agree that pipe lengths and widths contribute so basically all he has 2 do is read up on ya links and that should give him a fair indication and the most he will spend is approx $180 compared 2 approx $950 for a mugen setup. But then again if u go mugen u might get yaself a nice mugen sticker 2 put on the side of the car :/

well, it was mentioned as the best intake, just wanted to make it clear it wasn't

and if you want the best, the best = $$$. i dont have alot either

as for the mugen sticker... hmm, im quite a fan of the sleeper

GSI-PSI
03-06-2005, 12:53 AM
yer well it was a sarcasic remark about the sticker. And yer i am definately a sleeper considering that i bought a black intercooler 4 my teg.

nipnip
03-06-2005, 12:58 AM
yer well it was a sarcasic remark about the sticker. And yer i am definately a sleeper considering that i bought a black intercooler 4 my teg.

haha thats cool, commodore boy wont know what hit him

GSI-PSI
03-06-2005, 01:00 AM
haha yer it feels good when u blow away FPV gt's and VY Clubbys, S15,s even get a shock loll

haha thats cool, commodore boy wont know what hit him

FANATK
03-06-2005, 01:53 PM
mate if u want a cheap k&n i got one i used for about 3 months b4 i sold my car

$95 in sydney with box

sever_all_ties
03-06-2005, 09:48 PM
wats short ram intake

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21507

Lepperfish
04-06-2005, 12:52 AM
Get mugen

LSD Motorsports
04-06-2005, 04:13 PM
You definately want a cold air intake my friend. Dont bother with the K&N

izzy
12-06-2005, 12:23 AM
i have a pod setup, doesnt really make a large difference thats for sure. just better sound.