PDA

View Full Version : What is causing this?

CONAN
01-06-2005, 09:48 AM
Why is my Ek4 losing oil?

I changed oil about a month ago, the dipstick was on high.
Now after about 3500km, with occasional VTEC squirts, the oil dipstick reading is on LOW.

Is there a good reason why this would be happening? Does VTEC burn oil.

Both reading where measured when the engine was warm. And I have no oil leaks. Hoping this is normal.

vinhy
01-06-2005, 10:03 AM
well if ur hitting vtec alot then u would lose oil

Astro
01-06-2005, 11:22 AM
what oil u using man? yes, vtec does burn abit of oil

wynode
01-06-2005, 11:23 AM
between the high and low holes on the dipstick is 1L

You shouldn't be loosing so much oil in 3,500kms. What oil are you using (viscosity)?

Check around the engine (not just from the top) for any oil leaks. Just because there is no puddle of oil in your garage it doesn't mean you don't have any oil leaks.

Worst case scenario, it could be your piston rings or vavle stem seals.

bennjamin
01-06-2005, 11:27 AM
engines tend to use alittle oil in general over time - alittle more so if hooning around abit more :) Age /wear of engine matters quite abit too - i have to top up my lil Si once before oil change time ( within 5,000kms that is. )

Is it about oil change time ?

garett
01-06-2005, 06:53 PM
im pretty sure the FEO honda oil recomended for your b16 is 10w 30

what oil are you using/burning?

CONAN
01-06-2005, 07:46 PM
I'm using Honda Performance Oil. FEO 10 30.
I was going to use Castrol Synthetic R 5w30 but I thought using what is recommend for my stocker would be the best thing.

So I've burnt 1litre of oil so far?? Whoah thats heaps.. Should I get it checked up?
I dont think theres any problem with teh car at all apart from that. should i be worried

CONAN
01-06-2005, 07:49 PM
No its not service time yet i dont think

I might just top up the oil...

bennjamin
01-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Conan , top up you oil level firstly. Then park your car overnight somewhere at home etc - and place a few pieces of newspaper underneath the enginebay. Leave it till morning - then reverse the car back and see if there are any leaks etc. IF so , try and find the area of the leak - MIGHT be from the oilfilter , might be from the sump plug - both might be not tight and loosing alittle oil. Let us know !

ITRBoI
01-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Why is my Ek4 losing oil?

I changed oil about a month ago, the dipstick was on high.
Now after about 3500km, with occasional VTEC squirts, the oil dipstick reading is on LOW.

Is there a good reason why this would be happening? Does VTEC burn oil.

Both reading where measured when the engine was warm. And I have no oil leaks. Hoping this is normal.

how many k's have your car done???? if it's over 150,000 km's than is a normal problem with honda's. Which means the engine is about to go out, but this all depends on how the car is treated!

Heard it from a mechanic, so dont quote me on this one. My friend car has the same problem too and that's what the mech. told me so yeah.

bennjamin
01-06-2005, 09:09 PM
how many k's have your car done???? if it's over 150,000 km's than is a normal problem with honda's. Which means the engine is about to go out, but this all depends on how the car is treated!

Heard it from a mechanic, so dont quote me on this one. My friend car has the same problem too and that's what the mech. told me so yeah.

Please, majority of cars here have over 100,000 if not over 150,000kms.
Dont tell all of us that ALL our engines are "about to go out" :p
The more wear a engine has , the more likely selas and specs will be warped or out, letting oil and other fluids seep through possibly. But , can have nothing to do with overall "km's" travelled. Its the driver , not the car :)

Conan , try what i suggested above to see if there is a external leak. Then get back to us !

Weq
01-06-2005, 10:25 PM
check the oil when the engine is cold u n00b.

wynode
01-06-2005, 11:31 PM

Also remember that oil will have to be heated up to squeeze past some (worn) seals. For example your rear main seal (mine leaks a bit ONLY after hard driving). But won't leak under normal driving.

CHeck the oil when the engine is warm (after switching off your engine).

samsider
01-06-2005, 11:40 PM
Is there any leaks around the oil sump, if there is it might be a leaking from the bolt.

Has anyone heard of a oil sump plug? if there is such a thing can it help leaks around the bolt.

haha paul that guy called u a noob.

wynode
01-06-2005, 11:42 PM
Could be:

1. Sump gasket leak
2. Loose oil filter
3. Rear main seal
4. Cam seal (will drip down to the sump.

BSRacer
02-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Check the sump first, the tools that I bought my car from did an oil change for me and chucked out the washer on the sump plug and replaced it with a little rubber band looking washer. I lost like a litre of oil in 3 days. Checked the oil and just about crapped myself (it was on empty).

GEL15
05-06-2005, 12:32 AM
hey man i had the same problem just sorted it out on my b18c in my eg, my extractors run right under my sump and they were actually sitting against it under the car. After 4 mechanics looking at it and no one having any idea what it was or where the oil was going (i was using a ltr a week). I got the extractors bent down so they were not touching the sump and i have not used a drop since, it was actually getting that hot it was boiling my oil and burning it very easily...
I tried everything and was at the stage of considering a re build until we discovered this, so its not always the obvious....

CONAN
05-06-2005, 04:07 AM
After all this discussing I went to a mechanic and got him to have a look at it.
He said there was nothing wrong with my engine, he checked the dipstick and the reading was still on HiGH. So I don't know what I was goign on about.
My engine is on almost 160,000kms. It has logbooks from day one and has never missed a service. My uncle suggested to be it could be the piston seals, luckily for me its okay.

I was told the proper way to check oil is when the engine is warmed up, and then switch it off and leave it for a couple of minutes so that the oil sits back in the sump. Not when its cold.

Thanks for the help, next time if I do get the problem i'll know what to look for!