PDA

View Full Version : CRX Insurance??

rakfint
01-06-2005, 09:01 PM
Hi All,

I currently drive a 97 ek1 Civic CXI. I am 20 and been insured now for about 2 years with the civic. After trying afew insurance companies I found JUST CARS have given me the best deal for $800 full comp.

I am in the process of selling the civic and looking at buying a stock 93 DEL SOL. Does anyone know what insurance is like for one of these... any rough ideas? While i'm at it.. anyone know of better insurers for full comp??

cheers people

phantom_civic
01-06-2005, 09:10 PM
hmmmmz.. not sure...
but when i changed from my civic to 88 crx...
i didnt pay any money on top and just transferred my insurance from the civic to the crx.. = )
not sure if its the same for your del sol crx..;)

rakfint
01-06-2005, 09:16 PM
that'd be nice if it was like that... I am going to an older model... but will have higher power / weight then the civic.. so not sure if that affects me.. being vtec and whatnot

phantom_civic
01-06-2005, 09:29 PM
yeh... not very sure how it works tho...
because i had an si and changed to a vtec crx...
and didnt pay anything on top of my insurance...
so yehs...
gluk wif that man...

Snoop_gee
01-06-2005, 09:30 PM
i know i shouldn't be saying this and recommend any1 to do it. But because a crx is an import type sports cars and only has two doors and driven by a young person such as myself it's not good on insurance. But what i tell insurance company is mine is a stock crx and then it's relatively cheap despite the fact its far from stock. So what ever they don't know it don't hurt em. But it will hurt you if you have a bingle cause none of it will be covered.
Justcars is definately the way to go as most people have told me and i have told others.
But what can i say CRX all the way party people.... :cool:

rakfint
01-06-2005, 09:37 PM
Snoop.. yer I was doing that originally when I started 'modding' my civic.. People scared me out of that however with saying 'if an insurance company goes to an accident and inspects your car and see's it has darker tint or wider wheels then they knew about, they can refuse to cover the car AT ALL'...

I am looking at a completely stock del sol for now.. if.. or should i say WHEN i start to mod the del sol.. i'll worry about insurance then.. for now i'm trying to find out if BASE insurance is expensive.

thanks for the input

ECU-MAN
01-06-2005, 10:25 PM
when I was 25, rating 1 I was paying about 800 full comp for a 97 del sol

Weq
01-06-2005, 10:36 PM
im rating 3, 21 now and paying 1500 for a 94 turbo civic. justcar's is the cheapest ive found in sydney for a civic, modded or not..

rakfint
01-06-2005, 10:40 PM
when I was 25, rating 1 I was paying about 800 full comp for a 97 del sol

woah! obviously an older model del sol will be a bit cheaper.. but I imagine i'll still be looking at around 1k ATLEAST coz i'm only 20 and around a rating 3..

thanks for the info

samsider
02-06-2005, 10:21 AM
im 20 and lost my license once i own a 93 del sol and i paid 800 just for 3rd party and that was with just cars :(

kez13
02-06-2005, 11:45 AM
I've got a '95 crx and i'm with Just cars.....they are usually pretty good. I would tell them everything you've got on the car though because if you get into ANY kind of trouble you're screwed......you may as well rip up your insurance. They wont cover you for anything. I suggest you try "famous classic cars" from WA.
Kez!!! :)

mr crex
02-06-2005, 12:14 PM
my crx was a rating1 with RAA (Adelaide) and was $840pa (with mods listed), after 3 break-ins in 1 year and 2 claims later it went down to rating4 and $1790pa

my typeR is now rating1 with RAA and cost me $790pa

at your age JustCars would be the way to go, and I would say you should be paying basically the same as the civic.

SINISTR
02-06-2005, 01:54 PM
I just can't believe how much JUSTCAR is ripping young insurers off... and the monopoly they have on young drivers is unreal - no one else would want to insure you!

However - in saying that I think they are making money PURELY on the cars - NOT the age of the driver... I called up couple of weeks ago about my CRX..
91 Si, soon to have a bodykit, Mags, Intake, Extractors, Exhaust... and a bit of stereo gear. They quoted me 9K MAX insured value - regardless of the mods etc... and a WHOPPING $800 per year insurance premium... YES $800 per year!!! - and im 27 with max NCB with RAC (WA), no at fault accidents, no speeding fines for over 3yrs..
and for the GENONE (83 CRX) get this: 2K maximum insurance - at a MASSIVE $760 per year!!! I have it insured with RAC again for $6500 at just under $470!!!!

Age doesn't make a diff with JUSTCAR - only reason is they CAN charge the ridiculous money they do because NO ONE else would insure you!

Moral of the Story!!?: stick with a BOMB until you're 26 - no mods etc.. build up your NCB rating with a reputable insurance company and THEN buy the car you want! what you will do is SAVE money in the long run rather than giving THEM money - after all - some of you are working simply for just the CAR. nothing else... because its all going towards insurance and mods... CRAZY!!!

[ slayer ]
02-06-2005, 04:04 PM
well sit down people, i know i gotta each year the bill comes in, for my visually modded 88 model crx (read, no performance mods), im 22 rating 3ish (really im not sure), with just cars it was 2200 for this year full comp, covered for bout 7.5k... is a rip, but what to do as they are the cheapest i got quoted.

rakfint
02-06-2005, 04:48 PM
what you said about monopolising.. damn straight!

I've learned quickly that insurance is dodgey.. but im not risking my car without it....
This morning I got a quote on the 93 Del Sol in question, and was quoted $1850 premium... compared to my now $800 for the civic...

Although I think this is stupidly high, I have paid 1800 when first insuring my completely stock EK1 with RACQ & AMMI charging me 1600... then found justcars....

all in all... insurance sucks the big one... but losing my car would bite the big one clean off...

SINISTR
02-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Rakfint: its not a question of 'not' insuring your car - everyone knows every SANE person will be smart enough to insure their car - even for 3rd party to cover themselves against damage to other peoples vehicles - worst case scenario hitting a brand spanking new M3 worth 100K.

Everyone wants to insure their car... especially YOUNG drivers like yourself.
And its a Loose/Loose situation really - for the owners anyway - everyone wants to be 'cool', everyone wants to drive a modified car - and in the long run they loose out - knowingly!!!

I guess theres NO WAY of getting the point accross: that insurance will have to go down, if there is a drop of modified cars on the road - just like the laws against supedup cars and limits on the road.

Regardless of the prices KIDS (no pun intended) will want to buy that 2002 RX7, or the 98 VtiR teg or civic. because they want a fast car, modified car, Bling, Street Cred... and the insurance man only jumps up and down behind his desk screaming - bring it ON!

So its a WIN for the insurers and a LOSS for the car owners... ive heard of a girl here get quoted $4200 to insure her S14 - mind you she doesn't even have her licence!!!

Where are the days gone when P plates were driving 1200 dollar lasers LOL... i know - i started off with an $800 VW Golf... and slowly moved up to owning a $12K car...

I suggest MANY of the younger drivers these days SERIOUSLY think about the car they want vs the money insurance will charge them! because they will sell their car in a few years for about 1/4 off each year - but the insurance will cost them MORE than their car is worth in the end...

steve
02-06-2005, 05:21 PM
i insured my 99 civic vtir coupe 4 2k, with all mods listed, thru just cars, im 20 rating 3(i think)

Snoop_gee
03-06-2005, 09:56 AM
if she's ur pride and joy it don't matter wat u pay... oh that reminds me mine isn't insured:eek:

some insurance companies maybe cheaper than others but it's always important to read the fine print. On exactly wat is and wat is not covered.You'll be suprised....:!:

CRX_stocky
03-06-2005, 01:45 PM
my insurence for the crx is 1800 a yr, insured for 15k, im only 19 and have never had insurence, i noticed if you ring one up with a cheaper qoute from somewhere else they'll usually better it(they dont always though)

i was qouted 6500 a yr from allianz, so you just gotta look around

p.s. i might be wrong but i wouldn't think the yr in which the car was made would make alot of difference

SINISTR
03-06-2005, 02:41 PM
It definatelly makes a difference mate - year of manufacture determines how hard it is to replace parts after an accident etc - this is a case of NEW parts because insurance doesn't do second hand parts (99.9% of the time)

Take a 1984 Honda Civic compared to a 2003 Honda Civic - 1984 parts will in many cases only be available off another wreck - 2003 will be sitting brand new in the factory in japan.

CRX_stocky
03-06-2005, 03:13 PM
well thats a bit over the top

im talking about say a 96 del sol and a 93 del sol

rakfint
03-06-2005, 03:54 PM
SINSTR.... good points.. I agree.. but in my case.. after leaving school started straight in a full time job.. lived on the goldcoast.. anyone there knows public transport is NOT reliable at all..

So.. I needed a car to get to work each day... I did have an 88 pulsar.. first car.. but it was shit and kept blowing head gaskets for unknown reasons.. baught that car for 4k.. spend 2 on it.. still blowing head gaskets.. sold it for $800 :(

In the end.. I HAD to have a reliable car.. so boom here comes a 97 civic.. never let me down reliability wise.. but initially was costing me around 1800.. then 1600.. now finally $800...

CRX_STOCKY who are you insured with?? I was quoted 1800 aswell.. i am 20 and rating 3 insurance no claims...

CRX_stocky
03-06-2005, 04:01 PM
im with cgu, you would think you could get it cheaper because they classed me as a rating 6

CRX_stocky
03-06-2005, 04:03 PM
it also deoends on the area you live in, if its a high risk area for car theft etc.

rakfint
03-06-2005, 05:17 PM
probably is a high risk area BRUNSWICK EAST!!! ARGHHH time to move me thinks :p Was doing that anyway.....

Who is CGU? I'm through just cars...

bumography
03-06-2005, 09:28 PM
My car is garaged everynight.. i drive it probably 3000-5000 k's per year, and full comp wants 2000-3000 +
but i'm only insured under 3rd party atm.. which costs $120 a year.

I havent had a major accident in the past 5 years so i'd saved over 10,000
:D