PDA

View Full Version : How much to replace distributor?

zoopsta
02-06-2005, 12:47 AM
Hey guys,

Iam just wondering, how much would you expect to pay (approximately) a mechanic to replace the distributor?

I found two such items on ebay, 1 brand new and 1 remanufactured:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7977254206&category=33690

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7977254221&category=33690

Now i'm not definately going ahead with this, but i may need to (i had TDC code from ECU check) - but iam going to look into further before deciding on replacing the dizzy.

I was quoted from Honda and a mechanic for ~$750 for just the dizzy, i was quite shocked, so yeah, the deals on ebay look alright.

thanks

oh and the car is a 94 civic GLi, engine code d15b7 i think

barefootbonzai
02-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Make sure that it's your dizzy playing up first before you do anything. The dizzy from ebay should be fine. My old dizzy also stuffed and did the same, ordered from ebay and got my machanic to install. Not a problem.

bennjamin
02-06-2005, 09:41 AM
I wouldnt NOT reccommend ANYTHING apart from an original OEM distributor. Anythign else WILL fail over time. There is a price difference yes...OEM new costs $1000+ !

What exactly is wrong with ur dizzy ? You CAN get it rebuilt - replace the igniter unit , internal coil and main bearing ( the main parts !) . To get a dizzy rebuilt costs around the $200-300 mark.

barefootbonzai
02-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Is this something you have experinced or seen happen bennjamin?

ECU-MAN
02-06-2005, 10:01 PM
remanufactured or recon dizzys can be crap, not saying they all are, but you can get unlucky. oem is the best way to go. and im not just saying this, i really meen it. a dizzy shell ( with sensors ) will cost about 600

bennjamin
02-06-2005, 10:18 PM
Is this something you have experinced or seen happen bennjamin?

yup. 2 times over, with my last 2 hondas.
Both dizzies where replaced with aftermarket igniter modules and coils to save money - but in a short while they failed.

SO i spent another $300 each and got them rebuilt etc.
I strongly advice to get parts replaced with OEM parts. Anything else jsut cant be guarrenteed to last .

As they say - "Get it done right the first time " :D

zoopsta
03-06-2005, 02:19 AM
well they do provide a 3 year warranty:

3 Year Warranty

We will warranty this distributor for 3 years against workmanship. This does not include broken housings or castings or burnt ignition coil due to improper distributor cap installation.

(from the ebay site)

But yes, i will consider getting the dizzy rebuilt if it needs to be done.

ONV73C
03-06-2005, 07:42 AM
If you're getting one from ebay i've heard good reviews about a company called - distributorking ( www.distributorking.com (http://www.distributorking.com) ) they manufacture them.

most of the second hand ones from spare parts places aren't recon'd, they're just straight off another vehicle, tested and sold. And as said before OEM is > $1000 oooooouches

bennjamin
03-06-2005, 09:05 AM
well they do provide a 3 year warranty:

3 Year Warranty

We will warranty this distributor for 3 years against workmanship. This does not include broken housings or castings or burnt ignition coil due to improper distributor cap installation.

(from the ebay site)

But yes, i will consider getting the dizzy rebuilt if it needs to be done.

Ask yourself.....3 years aftermarket .....or 10 years OEM ? ;)

BTW , aftermarket will more often fail the "internal coil" , when a car is subjected to constant starting or flat battery situations ( found out hard way , TWICE) OEM is less likely to overheat in such a way. You get what you pay for :)

Lukezen27
03-06-2005, 08:53 PM
From Honda OEM

Coil = $250
Igniter = $650

BAH :thumbdwn:

Rebuild from Lube Mobile $550 including warrnty and they do it wherever your stuck

I'm my care the middle of a main street in Manly :(

The trick would be to know if its Coil or Igniter :!:

Mine ended up only being Coil so I got riped big time but if ya don't have the tools what ells can ya do :rolleyes:

LukeZen

ECU-MAN
03-06-2005, 11:40 PM
I doubt an Igniter would cost $650,

I recon they were crappign to you.

Lukezen27
03-06-2005, 11:48 PM
I doubt an Igniter would cost $650,

I recon they were crappign to you.

Sure did

Scotts Honda quoted me a few months ago

I buy all my Honda stuff there

ECU-MAN
03-06-2005, 11:52 PM
thats gotta be wrong, there about $280
maybe thinks cost more in Sydney !!!!

spoondc2
03-06-2005, 11:54 PM
I think it's the common problem of Honda car

The one on my car Fxxxxxx up before and when i try to find 2nd hand parts for replacement it suddenly go back to normal... :confused: So lucky

Oh yeah.... 2nd hand one cost about 350 when i ask long time ago

zoopsta
04-06-2005, 01:12 AM
how much would the labour be tho? it wouldnt take long i presume?

ECU-MAN
04-06-2005, 09:31 AM
a good tech can change the dizzy in 30 min flat, including chaning the coil, igniter, and adjust the timming.

Lukezen27
04-06-2005, 11:06 AM
a good tech can change the dizzy in 30 min flat, including chaning the coil, igniter, and adjust the timming.

lol yeah its a real quick job then your left standing there wounding where all that $$$$$$$$$$ went :rolleyes:

civiceg9
04-06-2005, 03:23 PM
First time I did it and cost me $300 with an aftermarket igniter and coil. that die after 1.5yrs of use. Had to rebuilt it again and cost me $400 with new OEM bearing, coil, Igniter and rotor.
It has been running fine ever since.