PDA

View Full Version : Wakefield Jazz day! Tue. July 5th

Andys
02-06-2005, 02:15 PM
Which Jazz owners are coming on july 5th?
* me (Andrew)
* petrovski (Pete)
* ACE888 (Alan)
* Hong

http://www.luc1d.net/other/circuit_club_250405/IMG_6204.jpg
Pic taken on last trackday on final corner before the straight

Ok, its not really *jazz* specific day but I'm trying to get as many jazzers to come as possible! It'd be great to see more jazzes coming down.

Come and run your car, and have a great time or just come along and watch or compare mods. So far there's me and another jazz coming, with some others of you expressing interest in the past at coming to this one.

Wakefield is near Goulbourn about ~2 hour drive south from Syd, we can meet up somewhere near the start and travel in convoy if you like.

BTW If you're new to trackdays I'm more than happy to help you out if you want to run your car, also I'm very happy to take passengers for laps in my car.. you can usually get rides with other (faster!) cars too if you ask nicely

Here are the details: July 5th . Tickets are $120 for one car + one driver / $40 per additional driver / $15 to be a passenger / Wakefield license not included / spectators free / Official timing provided. To go in a car you need a helmet (available for rent on the day) and long pants + long sleeve top.

- Andrew

ps. In case your wondering, I passed the Z further down the straight .. just kidding :D VTEC POWER!

petrovski
02-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Hey andy, do you have to buy a ticket before the day??

why is it 120?

NO SPEED LIMIT DAYS

Drive your own street car $80.00 per day
Wakefield Park licence $40.00 (annually)
Helmet hire available ($20) per day

Anyway you should be able to count me in for this one :D

will get back to you asap

Pete :)

Jus-10
02-06-2005, 07:13 PM
Those No Speed Limit days are a bit more of a free for all...you hand over the cash and away you go, plus I doubt it includes timing.

Timing is a big plus....then you will have an official time and can compare it to others to see how you are going aswell as compare it against yourself without your mates doing dodgy timing on a stopwatch or something.

Who is arranging this anyway Andy? i forget...
I'll have to see where I'm at, but I still would like to come and watch if nothing else.

PaZzMaN-R
02-06-2005, 07:15 PM
yes i do know you looking for jazzes but i realy want to go to the track for the first time as a driver. i just hope my license hasnt been suspended before then:) do i need to reserve a spot or is it whoever turns up and pays is in?

Andys
02-06-2005, 07:46 PM
yes i do know you looking for jazzes but i realy want to go to the track for the first time as a driver.

Of course, its open to everyone..

i just hope my license hasnt been suspended before then:) do i need to reserve a spot or is it whoever turns up and pays is in?

For extra driver or passenger just show up on the day. For car+driver its best to pay ahead to ensure you get a spot as numbers are limited (unlike Open Days). See contact details below

why is it 120?
1. Unlike open speed days where its a free-for-all, this time we're limited to 45 max cars (probably less than that will come since its a weekday).

2. Its more organised - we run in 4 groups and you try to stick to the group that has similar speed to you. This makes it more fun and less annoying to get stuck behind someone (or they get stuck behind you..) If you arrive on time and stay all day, you'll get practice session + 4 sessions. Each session is about 10 laps. So you could do at least 50 laps total if you want to. If you actually do that you'll be completely knackered by the end of the day!

3. Official timing - its accurate, see what techniques improve your laptimes, and adds a bit of fun to see what other people get ;)

4. Ambo provided - medical personell on stand by, I'd be really surprised if anyone needed them but they're there (I think its a requirement if you're renting the track for the day like we are). Normally isn't provided on open days

5. Prizes! If you want to enter the competition run - you get 3 chances to set your best lap time in a F1-qualifying style event and there are different classes.. jazz is the <1.6L N/A class...

Who is arranging this anyway Andy?

Circuit Club.
More info here:
http://www.circuit-club.com/trackday6.html
Basically to pay you contact Narada and either meet up with him or send him the money and he'll give you a ticket and a receipt.

[Also, PM me or talk to Narada if you're interested in coming along to one of circuit club's weekly night meetings.. I go pretty much every week now..]

Additional info:

Apparently this time last year was <10C degree temperatures so bring warm stuff!! There's a cafeteria present with meat pies and the like, or you can bring your own food for lunch. Bring a hat, there's not much shade at Wakefield.

Also, please pump up your tyres! Not past the max PSI rating for your tyre, but for example I found the stock jazz tyres handle alot better at about 38 psi than the recommended 33. I run my pirellis at 47! Go higher on the front than the rear. Measure tyre pressure when cold and on level ground. (I'll have a tyre pump available on the day..) If you run at normal tyre pressures you lose grip pretty quickly..

- Andrew

ACE888
03-06-2005, 11:57 PM
Count Me In...........I'll be taking my Jazz for a little squirt on July 5th.

Andy, we should hook up this Tuesday, then I can discuss tactics/hints so I can gain some insider knowledge against my fellow Jazz'ers who might turn up on this day.

OptionEngineering
04-06-2005, 01:59 AM
i hope i am in sdyney

ahcash
04-06-2005, 09:50 AM
i hope i am in sdyney

You can always drive up there for holidays.. hehehe!!!!

Andys
04-06-2005, 10:17 AM
so I can gain some insider knowledge against my fellow Jazz'ers who might turn up on this day.

EEk, what happened to "friendly" competition? :D

PM me if anyone else is free late tuesday night and wants to meet up..

- Andrew

PaZzMaN-R
04-06-2005, 12:44 PM
do you need to hold a current drivers lisence to drive on the day and if i was going to share my car how would laps work...?

PaZzMaN-R
04-06-2005, 01:53 PM
how much is the wakefield lisence and is it necissary?

edw-R
04-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Can you show the map of race track?

Andys
05-06-2005, 11:38 AM
do you need to hold a current drivers lisence to drive on the day and if i was going to share my car how would laps work...?

Well, you're supposed to have a drivers license, they make you write your license number on the form when you arrive. But I don't think it has to be current or valid, I've never seen anyone check it, its more just to prove who you are and that you are the correct age...

how much is the wakefield lisence and is it necissary?

Its $40 and valid for 1 year for any other events at Wakefield. Which you'll definitely take advantage of, because driving at Wakefield is addictive :D

Can you show the map of race track?

http://www.wakefieldpark.com.au/Environments/edoras/Resources/WakefieldPark/Images/track_arial.jpg

Someone else posted a link to a PDF once that gave some tips on driving at Wakefield... but I can't find it now.. Hope that pic helps

- Andrew

Andys
05-06-2005, 11:41 AM
Someone else posted a link to a PDF once that gave some tips on driving at Wakefield...

Found it!

http://www.mx5.com.au/nsw/NewSite/Content/Motorsport/Lap_WP.pdf

Its written with an MX5 in mind, but is interesting reading anyway.

- Andrew

ACE888
09-06-2005, 09:14 PM
Come on Jazz'sters, Jazz'es, Jazz'ies, or whatever you want to call yourself......... bring your 'beasty' machines for this track day.

I'm confirmed, I've got my ticket, ticket #1 actually! So Come On, Let's Do It!!

July 5 - Wakefield "JAZZ" Track Day!! Be There!

petrovski
10-06-2005, 04:34 PM
Just sent the payment off for the ticket :D

Andys
ACE888
Petrovski
. . . . .

rev-tech
16-06-2005, 10:31 AM
well i don't really wanna take the bimmer out when i'm trying to sell it. just in case i break something! :(
but i'll be down passengering with petrovski, i'll take a video camera or something :D

Wakefields a good track! i've been out on it before in a formula ford....LOTS of fun :D

ACE888
18-06-2005, 02:06 PM
bump? :D :D :D

QuintessentiaLs
19-06-2005, 05:47 PM
I'm considering going on the Wakefield track on the 9th of July... My friends have S2k, Type R's and Civics... They want me to try my STOCK jazz on the field... But I'm scared it'll flip when cornering...

TypeG
19-06-2005, 05:55 PM
I'm considering going on the Wakefield track on the 9th of July... My friends have S2k, Type R's and Civics... They want me to try my STOCK jazz on the field... But I'm scared it'll flip when cornering...

no you wont unless u drive like an idiot
lol:p

Andys
19-06-2005, 05:57 PM

Heh, I wish I had that much grip when cornering :)

You need not worry about that, the tyres give way long before there's any chance of that happening. Especially on a stock jazz. And being a jazz you don't get up that much speed by the end of the straight (I was going 140-150km/h max).

The only way you'd have a chance of flipping is if you were drifting sideways off the road into the gravel. But you'd have to be really trying to make that happen for it to happen in a stock jazz.. and if you feel it starting to drift towards the gravel you simply steer towards it and you won't flip.

If you're coming to this one (July 5th) I'm happy to show you a couple of laps how easy it is to navigate the track at wakefield without any worries about flipping. Its a pretty safe place IMO ... no major obstacles to hit if you come off.

- Andrew

kuso
19-06-2005, 06:07 PM
does ur car get scratched majorly during the runs?

QuintessentiaLs
19-06-2005, 06:10 PM
What's the best time any of you guys have done in Wakefield???

Andys
19-06-2005, 06:18 PM
does ur car get scratched majorly during the runs?

no??

The supermarket car park is a more dangerous place for your car than Wakefield. Seriously :)

- Andrew

Andys
19-06-2005, 11:01 PM
Well I've just heard from Hong who I met at the last trackday, he was a spectator that time, he is going to run his Jazz this time..

So thats 4 confirmed.. :D

- Andrew

ACE888
19-06-2005, 11:36 PM

Quint......Bring your Jazz to the July 5 CC day and get some practice first, then when you go to your mates day on July 9, you would know the track by memory! You might give them a run for their money!

Come along as there will be 4 Jazz'ies there....

wynode
19-06-2005, 11:57 PM
Is there a roll call for the Jazz's ?

I'll be there too.....so come say hi!

petrovski
20-06-2005, 01:19 PM
wynodeIs there a roll call for the Jazz's ?

I'll be there too.....so come say hi! Get to meet the man behind it all :cool:

andy could do a roll call in the first post if he wants??

QuintessentiaLs
20-06-2005, 03:22 PM
Quint......Bring your Jazz to the July 5 CC day and get some practice first, then when you go to your mates day on July 9, you would know the track by memory! You might give them a run for their money!

Come along as there will be 4 Jazz'ies there....
I would love to but there's 2 problems

1) 5th is a Tueday I got work that day hahaha
2) Going on the 5th and then 9th that'll kill my kms going there and back for 2 days and also tracking it... lol

Jus-10
20-06-2005, 03:43 PM
I'll probably be tagging along, but won't be hitting the track

Andys
21-06-2005, 11:09 AM
I'll probably be tagging along, but won't be hitting the track

Yeah thats cool... makes for a nice day off, I only drove for half the day last time and just hung out in the second half..

- Andrew

ACE888
28-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Less than 7 days to go till the CC Track Day @ Wakefield Park!

Everyone who can just come along!!!

Better still, bring Your Jazz'es along - even if it's just to cruise up and watch the other Jazz'es on the track!

I'll be having a go in my Jazz, I'd probably make a fool of myself but it would be all fun :)

rev-tech
02-07-2005, 01:57 PM
just wondering when everyone is planning on getting there?

OR

When is the first session of the day?

ACE888
02-07-2005, 09:23 PM
just wondering when everyone is planning on getting there?

OR

When is the first session of the day?

I'm hoping to get down to the Track by 8am in the morning, that way I can chill out for a bit and let my car cool down before going onto the track after 9am.

If you wanna meet somewhere towards Liverpool way (near the Hume Hwy) PM me :)

Andys
04-07-2005, 03:32 PM
I think I'm gonna aim for around 8:30-9:00.. And I think letting your car cool down is potentially a bad idea.. you want it to be well warmed up for the track :)

I think it'll be pretty cold. Just went and bought a helmet ($99)... I'm gonna bring a camera + big lens tomorrow too, but I need a lot of practice with moving subjects..

- Andrew

^CarBoy^
04-07-2005, 09:57 PM
Andys: please take lots of pictures... A few of my friends are going to be there aswell.. driving an EF and EG Civics...

Oh Post times aswell!!! I want to GOOOO!!!

Andys
05-07-2005, 07:47 PM
Wow, what a day. I'm pretty tired but here's a quick rundown of the best times of the day:
http://www.racetime.com.au/?event=i0510&e=g03&view=fastest

Petrovski, ACE888 and I tracked our Jazzes and having the competition was heaps of fun!
Each time one went out and got a better time, then I would go out and try harder to better it after swapping tips on cornering and braking. In the end I was able to shave about two seconds off my previous best time!

Congrats to Petrovski winning the <1.6L n/a class, with a fantastic lap time that I think shows the hidden potential of the jazz (it was pete's first time to the track) -- Watch out Wynode!

- Andrew

Jus-10
05-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Good stuff guys!

I'm sorry I couldn't make it...I had an appointment come up that couldn't be avoided.

Pretty impressive stuff from the little Jazz, and Pete from his first time out.

Can't wait to see some pics....

wynode
05-07-2005, 11:11 PM
Pete that's an awesome time! Was a good day and Iwoul have liked to hit 1:19s but ran out of fuel.

rev-tech
05-07-2005, 11:38 PM
hey people! well i gota say it was a good day!
apart from pete making me wait 50mins before he picked me up this morning!! (at 6am!)
It was good to meet you guys who turned up down there, i was passenger in petes car and the giver of good advice for him "BRAKE HERE!!!" :D

but yeah, big up's for pete winning his category with a 1:20.8, epsecially good concidering it was his firt time on the track and in basically a stock Jazz, apart from suspension. And it was full weight, not like the other cheaters on here, ripping out all their interior :P
A thing to note was that the jazz was keeping up with cars that should have out driven it easily ie R33 GTS-t's, S15 and teggy type-r's. we kept up with them all :D well some anyway
oh pete was good enough to set up a camera in the back of his car so for the non-believers.....there's proof :D

anyway it's quite late, but i would recomend this for everyone....sooo much fun, but highly adictive! i think pete wants to come back with some semi-slicks and a bit more power

Shane

^CarBoy^
05-07-2005, 11:55 PM
Not bad guys!!! I saw the times... :)

ACE888
06-07-2005, 07:38 AM
Have a look at Session 6 (and final session) of the day where I (in a stock Jazz minus all seats and spare tyre) pulled off a miracolous 1m 20 point 916 seconds!!!

http://www.racetime.com.au/?event=i0510&e=q06&view=fastest

Anyway, I'll write up a more detailed report later tonight, need to go to work now!

ahcash
06-07-2005, 09:23 AM
GOOD STUFF....

Pictures please.... :D

Andys
06-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Have a look at Session 6 (and final session) of the day where I (in a stock Jazz minus all seats and spare tyre) pulled off a miracolous 1m 20 point 916 seconds!!!

Damnit! :D I had a full petrol tank by then, would have loved to go out again and have another crack, but ran out of time... Next trackday is October 3rd (Labour day public holiday) !!

But it was such a perfect day yesterday, the air was cold all through the day. Easier on the car, so I didn't feel bad pushing harder... My radiator fan didn't kick in at all during the whole day, even when I pulled in and let it idle for a while to cool down... did yours?

Wonder why that 6th session didn't get included in the overall fastest list..

- Andrew

Andys
06-07-2005, 09:49 AM
(in a stock Jazz minus all seats and spare tyre)

Did you take out the front passenger seat too?

- Andrew

gelo
06-07-2005, 10:25 AM
congrats to pete
your car is pretty fast man
what have u done to it?
feel a bit threathened in my ek4

spoon fit
06-07-2005, 10:46 AM
pete :thumbsup:

rev-tech
06-07-2005, 04:33 PM
congrats to pete
your car is pretty fast man
what have u done to it?
feel a bit threathened in my ek4

hey mate,
pete's cars stock apart from having suspension work done.....i think he's just got alot of guts too, with how late he was braking sometimes!
actually a thing to note, if we got the last corner right our top speed down the straight increased from 140 to 150 :)

Andys
06-07-2005, 04:50 PM
hey mate,
pete's cars stock apart from having suspension work done.....

What about the exhaust? the car sounded beefier than stock..

actually a thing to note, if we got the last corner right our top speed down the straight increased from 140 to 150 :)

Very true. I wish the day was longer, I was hoping to get a ride in Pete's car and give you a ride in my car or whatever, to compare the springs and driving lines and so on... oh well - next time!

- Andrew

^CarBoy^
06-07-2005, 05:00 PM
I want to try my Jazz now in Wakefield!!

any of this Jazzes that ran an 7 speed automatic? or all of you that ran are manual Jazzes???

spoon fit
06-07-2005, 05:02 PM
pete's jazz is manual or auto?

MKI4EVA
06-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Pete that's an awesome time! Was a good day and Iwoul have liked to hit 1:19s but ran out of fuel.

making excuses in a jazz thread........LOL.......jk.

man you Jazz boys are blardy quick.........shaming the fark out of some civic and to top it off with official timing as well :D ..........I can't stop laugh in praise and admiration :thumbsup:

go the under dogs :thumbsup:

ACE888
06-07-2005, 05:45 PM
I took my Jazz Vti-S CVT & went to Wakefield on July 5 2005 with Circuit Club and managed to set a personal best time of 1m 20.916 seconds!

It was my first time driving and my car was all stock except the fact I did some weight reduction by removing the front passenger & rear seats and spare tyre. (Another thing I did was have a very light load of fuel, I had less than half tank at all times)

I met up with 2 other Jazz drivers, they being Andy and Pete, and met up with another 40 or so other drivers, cars ranging from hotted up Type R’s , HSV Maloo Ute, Skylines through to the Corollas of the late 80’s!

The day started off with open sessions whereby all cars were warming up and testing their gear, the track was still very damp and produced little grip until the track got dryer throughout the morning.

I started off cautiously as the track was still wet and that it was my first time driving on ‘any’ race track. I guess I pushed too hard on the 3rd lap when I understeer, then overcorrected and spun off onto the grass and caused lots of grass and dirt to enter my open window!

Anyway, I completed 5 sessions of about 20minutes, and 2 sessions whereby it was only for a ‘hot lap’ competition. In total, Id say I completed about 45 so laps, and most importantly, the stock brakes and fluid had no fade at all, and the front Dunlop Direzza 101’s 195/50/15 tyres had huge grip for its size and laps travelled, even when the tyres got really hot they still handled excellent. My lap times initially were 1m 25’s and lowered with each session, managing, in my opinion, an excellent time of 1m 20.926s on the 6th and final session.

I was using manual mode in the CVT at all time, mainly with the D in gear, however it was until the end of the day where I realised that using manual mode is S gear is the best!

The desire to gain more speed, to go quicker through each corner, the desire to catch the other Jazz’ers that were on the track meant that I had to practice different techniques to maximise lap times. As the Jazz does not carry a lot of speed into most corners at Wakefield, the tapping of brakes to weight the car for a slight oversteer and the power on the throttle to understeer, meant it was a fine balance of balancing the car just right for each corner and to get the right race line.

I'd exit the last corner at about 80km/hr and managed to hit 145-150km/hr at the end of the straight accelerating all the way right to the braking marker before the 2nd corner........braking hard just at the end of the 1st corner apex, settling the car to enter turn 2 and head up the sweeping right hand hill… it was fun and very go-kart-like to have a go especially in such a stock car.

The main incident for me was when I did lose control at about 100km/hr and ended up skidding backwards facing the oncoming cars. It is amazing IMO how if a car skids when going forward ABS kicks in but when I skidded backwards, the brakes locked and ABS didn’t kick in. Apart from this big skid, the running off in the wet, and the few times I ran off the track on the last corner, it was IMO relatively safe.

Anyway, for all those Jazz drivers, the next track day is coming so I will see you there!!

Ps. Pete is the one to beat, he is damn quick! Andy & I were chasing his times all day long but to no avail.

Jus-10
06-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Man I just HAVE to make it next time....sounds so good!

rev-tech
06-07-2005, 06:47 PM
What about the exhaust? the car sounded beefier than stock..

nope, exhaust is stock.....oh the bottom of the air box isn't put on....or something like that...but no CAI fitted

we worked out that he as carrying about 150kg's of extra weight compared to you guys who stripped the cars out! :P

oh and pete's cars manual :)

spoon fit
06-07-2005, 06:57 PM
150kg?

Andys
06-07-2005, 09:05 PM
we worked out that he as carrying about 150kg's of extra weight compared to you guys who stripped the cars out! :P

Hehehe.. Yep, the rear seats weigh 30kg, spare tyre and tools 10kg, and front passenger seat is 20kg. I left my front seat in as I felt it may be upsetting the car balance too much, but in retrospect I probably wasn't driving hard enough for that to make a difference.

Also my strategy of running on low fuel didnt work, as I had low fuel for the start of the day, but ran out and had a full tank for the second half of the day - when I was going fastest. Next time I'll try and run on empty right at the end of the day.

I guess you can look at weight reduction as 'cheating' but I just see it as a zero cost go-fast mod :rolleyes:

Also, Allan is right -- CVT auto "S" mode is fastest. I always used S mode down the main straight and manual gear changes around the rest of the track, but right at the end I used "S" auto for almost the whole lap and that got me a faster time - I need more track time to test this further!

- Andrew

^CarBoy^
06-07-2005, 09:29 PM
I'm going next time for sure!!! :)

petrovski
07-07-2005, 02:57 PM
sorry haven't been on, been busy with other stuff . . .

just read through 3 pages and i can't remember it all, but i'll try.

The day was UNBELIEVABLE!!! It was PERFECT as andy said warm enough with the cool air.

I got down there early about 8.30 I think with my mate shane (rev-tech) and went through all the formalities of signing in. Parked in the open garages and met up with andy and allan.

Before I forget, for the people that asked, the mods to my car are suspension and I’ve cut the bottom of the airbox out hence it sounding a bit “meatier”.

First Shane and I went out for the practice session and the track was very foggy and wet from the night before. We took off down the straight and round the first corner we went easy enough . . . then the fog . . . and I think what I said to Shane at the time was something like “Shit!! Where’s the corner, which way do I go??:confused: ”. Fortunately he could remember as he had been there before and it was a hesitant reply “umm. . . left!:rolleyes: ” and left we went. Completed a couple of laps and started getting faster and faster on about the 5th lap coming around the top of the track about turn 4 I backed off the accelerator and suddenly we both became passengers of the car. Roll oversteered straight off the track. I hadn’t had my suspension settings setup properly as I didn’t know how the jazz would handle so we sought of had a better idea by now. We went off and adjusted it and it was pretty right for the rest of the day.

The rest of the day was awesome. As the track dried up and the day went on the times kept on getting faster. I managed to hassle a skyline for long enough in the first session long enough for him to let me through although prior to that on the main straight I must of looked like a grandma with a walking cane to him :p

Also kept up with an s15 and a couple of integras at different points in the day. But in all fairness if it were pro drivers in my car and those cars in front I think they would have had me for lunch. I also have video footage from session 2 onwards so most of it is on camera with a lot of funny/talking ourselves up/testosterone filled commentary from my co-driver and myself :p :o

I had a lot of problems with my tires more than anything during the day. The car held up absolutely amazingly during the day even though it’s a jazz:honda: ! After about 6 or 7 laps I think the tires heated up and were very slippery. I was watching the footage last night and the tires screeched around every corner more and more as the session went on:thumbdwn:

As for brake fade . . . It was nowhere near as noticeable as the tires as I was braking well past the markers right until the end of each session and even then the drums were managing to lock up the rears on several occasions:thumbsup:

With petrol I turned up with a full tank and did a full days racing. The light came on at the end, HOWEVER when I went to the mobil in Golbourn, I still had a little over 10 LITRES LEFT in the tank. I managed to do 199.7km in the day with 16.7L/100km. A bit above the usual 5.8L/100km:p

Would like to say THANKS and CONGRATS to both allan:thumbsup: :cool: and andy:thumbsup: :cool: for their unbelievably QUICK times in STOCK jazzes making me push myself harder and go faster and faster. And I think I did it for them as well.

Andy I agree with you . . . next time we should be passengers in each others cars to see differences of handling and techniques.

Can’t wait to get out there again. Next time I want to get a sub 1.20 time of some sort and I want to see a session out there that is just Jazzes :D :honda:

P.s. my little brother is down in Canberra atm and when he gets back I’ll get him to do the videos and I’ll host them up when I’m done. Photos will be up soon too.

ahcash
07-07-2005, 03:48 PM
making excuses in a jazz thread........LOL.......jk.

man you Jazz boys are blardy quick.........shaming the fark out of some civic and to top it off with official timing as well :D ..........I can't stop laugh in praise and admiration :thumbsup:

go the under dogs :thumbsup:

So.. I think this will clarify some of the Forumers' perception of the Jazz being all show and no go???

ahcash
07-07-2005, 04:00 PM
and the front Dunlop Direzza 101’s 195/50/15 tyres had huge grip for its size and laps travelled, even when the tyres got really hot they still handled excellent.....

I thought the stock tyres (VTIS) are 185 / 55 R15 82V ???

I'd exit the last corner at about 80km/hr and managed to hit 145-150km/hr at the end of the straight accelerating all the way right to the braking marker before the 2nd corner........braking hard just at the end of the 1st corner apex, settling the car to enter turn 2 and head up the sweeping right hand hill… it was fun and very go-kart-like to have a go especially in such a stock car.

S-mode can do 150km/h ???

Zimp13
07-07-2005, 07:37 PM

i did 150km/h the other day... i think should b able to go faster than 150 km/h..... around 170km/h can b achieved i think

kuso
07-07-2005, 07:53 PM
umm did the spin out cause damage to the body? scratches etc?

spoon fit
07-07-2005, 10:24 PM
i did 150km/h the other day... i think should b able to go faster than 150 km/h..... around 170km/h can b achieved i think

up to 170km/h!? r u sure?

ahcash
07-07-2005, 10:53 PM
I might sound stupid here.. but isn't S mode a lower ratio gear mode and that's a maximum speed you can go...unlike the D mode..

MRFIT
07-07-2005, 10:58 PM
i managed 187km/h in manual..... :)

ACE888
07-07-2005, 11:01 PM

hehe yes stock is 185/55/15 , so I guess my front tyre is not stock size then BUT the reason for getting these tyres were not to go faster But that the 195/50/15 tyres are like almost half the price of 185/55/15 :) therefore comes down to cost :)

Yes I hit 145-150 at the end of the straight in S Mode AND as S mode makes the car rev more higher, I was always exiting corners at good rev ranges ie >4500rpm whereas in D mode, sometimes I get caught around 4000rpm..... serious lag there!

ahcash
07-07-2005, 11:03 PM

DLS.. downhill ??? :D

spoon fit
07-07-2005, 11:03 PM
dream or bs , i think http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_cheesygrin.gif

QuintessentiaLs
08-07-2005, 06:49 AM
If you guys setup a all jazz only day I'll come for sure...

Hey Pete do you have any bars on your car???

ACE888
08-07-2005, 01:33 PM
If you guys setup a all jazz only day I'll come for sure...

It will be very unlikely we can organise an ALL Jazz track day - I believe OH couldnt even get enough numbers to organise an ALL OH track day.

The best we can do is get as many Jazz'ers as possible to one of the organised track days, and say if we could get say 8 Jazz'ers? we could get lap sessions whereby only Jazz'ers are on the track!

Further, I drove my car the last few days after Wakefield & the car drives fantastic, when my car is stationery the idle speed is fantastic and no vibrations at all... very sweet indeed.

^CarBoy^
08-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Guys here some pictures from the track day.. thanks to Evil Imaging.. The silver Jazz VTiS is low low... looks good on the track!!

http://evilimaging.com/circuitclub/index.htm

petrovski
08-07-2005, 02:32 PM
Quintessentials - Hey Pete do you have any bars on your car???

yeah 4 and fender braces

Andys
08-07-2005, 11:52 PM
It will be very unlikely we can organise an ALL Jazz track day - I believe OH couldnt even get enough numbers to organise an ALL OH track day.

WELL at least jazz + civic or integra day. Could run alternative sessions with jazz and then other. Anyhow, next circuit club day is 3rd October so get ready! Also rumour has it the C16 class next time will be "1.6L and under" and not "under 1.6L" so we may have more competition :)

Further, I drove my car the last few days after Wakefield & the car drives fantastic, when my car is stationery the idle speed is fantastic and no vibrations at all... very sweet indeed.

HMM, my car feels different too.. sounds and feels very smooth. Maybe it cleans some of the crap out of the engine?

I haven't checked my oil yet but last trackday didnt lose any oil at all...

I might sound stupid here.. but isn't S mode a lower ratio gear mode and that's a maximum speed you can go...unlike the D mode..

Nope, the available gears is the same in both cases but the "S" mode holds the revs higher and revs up faster than "D" mode. Actually I found "L" mode is even higher revs - maybe we should try that next time?

Also I found you can increase engine braking when braking for a corner by moving the lever forwards and backwards between D and S a few times.

One things for sure -- you have to keep the jazz right in the peak powerband at all times for maximum speed around the circuit.

umm did the spin out cause damage to the body? scratches etc?

I seriously doubt it would. I didn't leave the track surface at all this trackday... maybe I was driving too conservatively this time? haha...

Some how you guys ended up doing alot more laps than me according to racetime stats :) Can't wait for next time.

- Andrew

spoon fit
08-07-2005, 11:57 PM
our hero :thumbsup:

http://evilimaging.com/circuitclub/images/IMG_1095.jpg

MRFIT
09-07-2005, 02:02 AM
dream or bs , i think :D

I am not bs at all....... it was such a long stretch of road in central victoria...... top speed I went is 187km/h....... i would do it again anytime......

why would I bs about this for? geez...... ur cvt is just weak!!! :D

MRFIT
09-07-2005, 02:10 AM
pete..... when you corner..... does ur bodykit scrap the ground cos its so low?

Zimp13
09-07-2005, 10:33 AM
up to 170km/h!? r u sure?

not in that track i mean.... cos the other day i tried the jazz, at 150km/h the pedal wasnt fully pressed yet.... so i estimate may be another 20km/h once all fully slammed... but i also think its gonna take a while to reach 170km/h... for my car 150km/h is not that hard to achieve.... its only 150km/h man.... slow u know... hahahah

Zimp13
09-07-2005, 10:37 AM
our hero :thumbsup:

http://evilimaging.com/circuitclub/images/IMG_1095.jpg

damn it... wish i had a manual jazz, i ll dump my car tat low....

petrovski
10-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Mr Fit - My body kit doesn't scrape on the track . . . on some driveways the undercarriage gets a beating . . .

Looking at the picture, I didn't hear or feel the wheels rubbing against the wheel arches either :?

On another note after being on teh track and adjusting the suspension there, on the road it handles 20 times better again even with very worn tires!!

Next time, i want to try run different adjustments again and see how they go

MRFIT
10-07-2005, 11:03 PM
thanx for the reply pete..... nice to know...... I am thinking of dumping my jazz..... :D

very impressive track times once again...... hope u can host some videos up for us to see....

cheers... :)

terris08
11-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Pete, you using the Zeal Blue Panther Coilover right? What damper setting do you use normally on streets comparing to that on tracks?

petrovski
12-07-2005, 01:04 PM
terris08 - Originally before the track day i had the front set at 2 and the rear set at 5. However, even on the street on some corners had problem with the rear being "skatey". After the rear sliding out and spinning me off the track, i changed the front to 3 (out of 4) and the rear i think 3 (out of 8) from memory - will double check later on for you.

After that on the track I didn't have a problem really it was pretty stable - sometimes the rear would kick out just a little bit or got understeer after that and sometimes both in the same corner.

haven't changed it for the street and on the street it handles much better than before however i still want to play around wiht the settings a little bit more.

Also keep in mind that i have a few strut bars and braces.

muli
12-07-2005, 02:46 PM

ive seen a jazz with just about 195, the jazz goes pretty good upto 160-175 then it starts to slow down, stock it just falls dead about 140km/h, to get anything over 190 you gotta have a nice non windy day and from 185 to 195 it took ages.

the jazz in this instance had intake done

rev-tech
13-07-2005, 12:01 PM
ey pete, i don't think we changed the front settings at all? we went out on the first session with the rear on 5 and found it was too skaty.....changed it to 2 and it was too soft then bumped it up to 3 and left it there?

we were going to play with the front but never did? i reckon maybe it's worth while just softening the front a little bit :)

p.s. my arm was sore for a week after that day! that damn seat just doesn't hold you in when you'r cornering so hard! :D

panda
13-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Also keep in mind that i have a few strut bars and braces.

chasis stiffening is very important, more so before power, makes the car more fun to drive when its not rolling all over the place

track sounds fun, definately want to try the fit out on nz tracks sometime in near future, and congrats pete on the awesome lap times :D

Andys
16-07-2005, 02:52 PM
1. My car in the pitt lane carpark, with the Toyo arch in the background. The arch is the main entrance to the competitor's area. In the background are various sheds and admin buildings of Wakefield Park.

http://www.modulus.org/pics/2005-07-05/andys_jazz_wakefield.jpg

2. The carpark again, as seen from upstairs in the timing room.. down the left is the main straight and pit lane.

http://www.modulus.org/pics/2005-07-05/circuit_club_day_wakefield.jpg

- Andys

MRFIT
16-07-2005, 07:49 PM
hey andys..... good that you took off your plates while at the track.... smart...

what rims do u have on? :)

Andys
17-07-2005, 11:24 AM
hey andys..... good that you took off your plates while at the track.... smart...
what rims do u have on? :)

Heh.. yeah, it runs the car cooler! ;)

Rims = 15x6.5" SSR type C. I heard a rumour that SSR is out of business, is it true? And my tyres are Pirelli P700 195/50 ... can't wait to wear them out and change them for P6000's, they were more grippy (I had them on my stock rims before).

- Andrew

MRFIT
17-07-2005, 12:15 PM
nice...... P6000.... costly.... but worth every penny..... :D

I've also heard that SSR is gone..... but i still see them selling in the shops though....

ahcash
17-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Have you tried Yokohama A539 ???