PDA

View Full Version : ED Civic GL - Inspection Checklist advice

joneblaze
03-06-2005, 01:02 AM
Hey Civic rockers,

Going to check out a little '89 ED GL Sedan on the weekend. Took it for a blast tonight and it felt pretty groovy - like a mini go kart. :p

I understand they are a dual carby engine, and that's where my knowledge ends.

Just wanted a brief checklist - both specific to this model and general inspection tips - for me to take along with me.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Jon :thumbsup:

Setanta
03-06-2005, 08:22 AM
Rust shouldn't be an issue, but check anyway. 210K kms plus, look at picking up a reco motor for it. Wheel bearings, brakes (new rotor time) will be suspect after 200K kms.... other than that, the usual crap. But really, they are bullet proof little beasts.

Kawasaki
03-06-2005, 08:50 AM
They have a d15b4 dual carby engine, make some weak 89hp or so. They are great cars, good for a project

joneblaze
03-06-2005, 10:16 AM
Thanks for that Pete. It's done roughly 230 XXXkm, but like I said drives very well IMO.

There was a slight shudder in the steering under med-heavy braking, would that merely be the front discs in need of machining?

Anything else I should be wary of?

bubblecivic
03-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Don't expect airconditiong from these little beasts haha. Once they are turned on you've lost like 50% power. Check whether it blows smoke?
other then that they are very reliable imo.

bennjamin
03-06-2005, 12:03 PM
guys keep personal disputes to PM.

Jon , all the usual that applies with any second hand car applies here too - ofcourse check for rust spots as Pete said , look for dimply paint for previous repair and inside the guards for any rust / previous damage repair. Check for white/blue smoke when driving at any RPM...does the car idle fine ?

Setanta
03-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Thanks for that Pete. It's done roughly 230 XXXkm, but like I said drives very well IMO.

There was a slight shudder in the steering under med-heavy braking, would that merely be the front discs in need of machining?

Anything else I should be wary of?

Jon: at that stage, the disks will have to be chucked. My old ED did the same, I machined them twice and then replaced them as they warp quite badly. The EF9 is no different. Total cost for me was about 500 bucks all up both times. Replacing is a much cheaper way to go with the ED. It'll solve the shudder in no time.

Chances are the engine will die - or it's been replaced at those KMs.

I forgot to mention: Definitely check the CVs - again at those Kms, it's heading towards their life-span. Mine have 290K Kms on them and started to go at 270, but the EF9 uses heavier driveshafts and bearings.

Power steering leaks are worth checking and all brake hoses - they will be cracking possibly - but if you are lucky, they'll be fine. Finally - check the radiator - I've had to replace it on both the ED6 and EF9 at about 220K kms. Likewise flexibility in the hoses.

Seriously - it may only be 90-100bhp (my ED6 was 100), but the things really are a sweet little car to chuck around and a lot of fun. I love 2 generations of Civics, 1st and 4th, 1st for their chuckability and being zippy - likewise 4th - but as the first of the refined Civics.

Setanta
03-06-2005, 12:36 PM
BTW - on the freeway or trundling around town, the AC is fine to have on. Same with any 4 pot car that is designed with it :) Want power? Switch it off :)

joneblaze
03-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Thanks again Pete.
$500 for fitting two new used front discs? Are those Robbie/Pete prices or normal industry quotes? lol
$500 for a $2k car...ergh...

Setanta
03-06-2005, 04:32 PM
500 was industry quotes - Robbie quotes I'm not sure on. It might be more now too remember - especially if the warping of the rotors was caused by a jammed brake piston. I'd be using it as a way to get the price down a bit :)