PDA

View Full Version : F1 - changing tread?

simon
04-06-2005, 10:33 PM
hey guys, wondering if tread can be changed at all in F1.

thanks.

7th Gen
05-06-2005, 12:07 AM
best to ask Jase aka LUDO2C our resident F1 guru :D

what do you mean by change tread anyway? as in change the tread pattern of the tyre during the race? (well, according to this years one set of tyres rule - no?)

or change the tread during the season? or change to different treads to suit different circuits/conditions?

have to be a bit more specific i think?

TYPE-ONE
05-06-2005, 03:41 AM
New Rules 2005: You cannot change any tyres for performance gain. Only for safety.

In the beginning of qualifying i believe, the teams choose their tyres. These tyres cannot be changed until after the race. Unless if the tyre is punctured or has flat spots, like Raikonnen had. He couldve changed them if he wanted to. Coz it could of put him at risk. He was pretty lucky to just walk away from that incident.

So yeh thats the rules.

Vivski
05-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Do you mean altering the tyre during the race? Like putting cuts in the tyre? If that ir what you mean, then I'd say no. F1 tyres don't work that way.

And I'm pretty sure there are only two tread patterns for F1 tyres. Dry tyres and wets. As far as I know there aren't even intermediates. Is that right?

7th Gen
05-06-2005, 03:10 PM
where's Jase? :D

LUD02C
05-06-2005, 05:11 PM
If you mean change the tread to say 2 strips then NO!
The FIA sit down with both tyre manufactures and explain the rules.

There are Dry, wet and intermediate tyres.
I haven't read/heard anything of no intermediate tyres.

Remember, the F1 teams don't even put the tyre on the rim, they just adjust the tyre pressure on them and thats about it.
Michelin and Bridgestone staff do everything else.

Have I answered your question?

^^v
05-06-2005, 06:40 PM
i think the only thing they can change is the compound yea?

Javed
05-06-2005, 07:36 PM
They do have intermediates.

izzy
05-06-2005, 08:48 PM
mclaren!!!

LUD02C
05-06-2005, 08:58 PM
i think the only thing they can change is the compound yea?

I think on Friday they tell the tyre company which tyre they want to use for the weekend after Friday practice.

7th Gen
05-06-2005, 10:54 PM
if thats the case then wonder what happens to all the tyres they bring along to a race 'just in case' certain conditions come up

i guess they just go back into the stockpile and get used for testing or (heaven forbid) get destroyed and sent to the great tyre yard in the sky :D

kenshin
05-06-2005, 11:01 PM
FIA fix this 1 set rule...

its dangerous not being able to change tires...

imagine teams changing tires in kimi's situation (well his case there was a huge flat spot) and then post race the FIA deeming that the tires were still 'race-able'...
-_-

too much ifs into the equation...

Vivski
05-06-2005, 11:34 PM
I haven't heard about intermediates for a while, so I assumed they were no longer around. When is there going to be a wet/dry race? That will stuff up this one set of tyres rule and I can't wait to see what happens when there's a day of sun showers.

LUD02C
06-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Brazil usually has some wet weather, but you can't rule out Spa Francorchamps.
So high in the sky (can't remember how many meters above sea level) and up there the air in thin and rain is almost certain.

nEUROtic
06-06-2005, 04:16 PM
They are allowed to change tyres due to weather

LUD02C
06-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Yeh, if its sunny then a nice storm cloud comes over and it starts raining they can change to wets/intermediates if they choose.

This tyre rule has to change, and bring slicks back!

nEUROtic
06-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Slicks :thumbsup:

Hondavirgin
06-06-2005, 04:26 PM
I don't have a problem with the grooved tyres, if they're serious about cost cutting i just wish they would stop changing the rules. But they do need to go back to free tyre changes.

And yeah, gotta love Spa, you can need two different sets of tyres in one lap!

LUD02C
06-06-2005, 04:28 PM
It is the longest track on the calender from memory, while this week we see the track which is hardest on the brakes, MONTREAL.
Gilles Villenuve track, long straights and tight corners!
Watch Juan FLY, but not as quick as ..............;)

Hondavirgin
06-06-2005, 05:03 PM
It is the longest track on the calender from memory, while this week we see the track which is hardest on the brakes, MONTREAL.
Gilles Villenuve track, long straights and tight corners!
Watch Juan FLY, but not as quick as ..............;)

FISI!!!!!!! :D

haha, nah, seriously, usually does well on this track, a few 2nds.

simon
06-06-2005, 07:23 PM
okok, wow thanks for the reply guys.

what i was asking was during the race, ie, "hey my tyres aren't gripping, i need new tyres".

i had the belief that you can change tyres before a race (due to weather changes) but no changes at all during the race.

LUD02C
06-06-2005, 07:29 PM
Yeh if grip is a problem during the race you can't do anything about it.

You can only have 1 set of tyres during qualifying and the race.
Extremly stupid rule in my opinion

simon
07-06-2005, 01:07 AM
thats what i was saying! it's damn straight stupid but in a way not..

what should you not be able to change tyres during a 50 lap race?
i don't think that maintaining your treads during these 50 or so is a good enough reason..

Vivski
07-06-2005, 02:23 PM
The teams are using about a quarter of the tyres they used to use. That's a good thing, no matter how much they whinge. If they damage the tyres, they're able to replace the tyre. If it rains, they can change the tyres. And now we know that if you treat them right and have a good setup, the tyres will last the distance. Great for tyre development. Instead of making tyres which melt onto the track the best, the manufacturers have to make tyres which will sustain the speed and huge forces for the full duration of the race.

At first I thought it would be dangerous, but that has been proven wrong.

The new tyre rule has many benefits to everyone envolved including us the customers. You'll get used to it. And if you don't, tough titties, it's here to stay (I hope).

^^v
07-06-2005, 09:52 PM
might see the intermediates at play this week :thumbsup:

Chance of rain in Montreal
A wet race could play into the hands of Ferrari
http://f1.racing-live.com/img/l3.gif
http://f1.racing-live.com/img/vide.gif

http://f1.racing-live.com/photos/imgactu/03/schumacher-montreal_130603_220x160.jpg
Schumacher for one, will be hoping for a
wet race day in Canada
This weekend’s Canadian Grand Prix could be hit by heavy rain according to the latest weather forecasts from both the and The Weather Channel.

While the build up to Friday practice is predicted to be sunny and dry, there remains a chance that all three days of on track action could be hit by rain.

Storms are predicted in the area with a 30 percent chance of them hitting Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. Other forecasts predict up to a 90 percent chance of rain on race day.

Should the Canadian Grand Prix prove to be a wet event, Ferrari in particular are expected to make best of the conditions as historically Bridgestone hold the upper hand in such conditions.

Last week at Silverstone testing, rain on Wednesday saw BAR Honda, Toyota and Renault cancel their day of running.

Earl ALEXANDER
© CAPSIS International

f1live.com

simon
08-06-2005, 02:57 AM
bah

Vivski
08-06-2005, 04:03 PM
Woohoo!

Vivski
08-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Lol, I thought it said...
"Storms are predicted in the area with a 30 percent chance of them hitting Jacques Villeneuve."

Vivski
08-06-2005, 04:09 PM
What happens if it's wet in qualifying and dry for the race? Will Ferrari win?

If it starts dry but they predict rain in the first 20 laps, will teams send their guys out on softer tyres?

Hondavirgin
08-06-2005, 04:22 PM
What happens if it's wet in qualifying and dry for the race? Will Ferrari win?

If it starts dry but they predict rain in the first 20 laps, will teams send their guys out on softer tyres?

Thats a very good point hey, but you'd have to be pretty ballsy to trust weather forecasters that much when you look at how much it can kill you wearing the tyres out (Renault at Monaco for example).

LUD02C
08-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Bring on the rain.
Nothing like a F1 race in a storm.
Anyone remember Brazil 2003?
Corner 7 claimed 8 drivers.
Now that was a race!

Yeh it could play into the hands of Ferrari, we all know Michelin can't make a intermediate tyre like Bridgestone.

I hope its sunny for qualifying and then rains in the race, to see Michael and Rubens fly through them all (lapping I mean) cause Ferrari will be 1-2 already :D

Mr Vti
08-06-2005, 05:00 PM
haha yeh Brazil 2003 was very entertaining also another race that comes to mind is Monaco 96 where 4 cars actually finished due to wet weather

Hondavirgin
08-06-2005, 05:02 PM
haha yeh Brazil 2003 was very entertaining also another race that comes to mind is Monaco 96 where 4 cars actually finished due to wet weather

was that the one the Tyrrell won?

Mr Vti
08-06-2005, 05:11 PM
na Panis in a Liger won.

Does anyone have this race on tape??

1 O.Panis Ligier 2hr 0m 45.629s (75 Laps)
2 D.Coulthard McLaren Gap 0m 4.828s
3 J.Herbert Sauber Gap 0m 37.503s
4 H.Frentzen Sauber Laps behind: 1
5 M.Salo Tyrrell Laps behind: 5
(Retired: CRASH)
6 M.Hakkinen McLaren Laps behind: 5
(Retired: CRASH)

Vivski
08-06-2005, 10:35 PM
Can you imagine doing Monaco in the wet? That would be absolute hell. Driving through someone's mist trying to drive inches from the walls.

Mr Vti
09-06-2005, 07:18 AM
haha yep well in Moncao 96 most of the cars spun on first Lap lol including Michael Shumacher.

LUD02C
09-06-2005, 05:13 PM
Monaco in the wet, safety car for nearly the whole race lol