PDA

View Full Version : Has ne1 put on Slotted/Cross Drilled Disc Brakes from DBA

jsttgn
05-06-2005, 10:42 AM
Yeah, just surfing around and i saw a pair of front disc brakes from DBA. Just wondering if there's any1 that has installed them? Can you use you OEM calipers? How much were they each? Did they make a difference?

EK Civic R
05-06-2005, 11:08 AM
Me interested too..
I need new discs and pads..

I'm lookin at DBA and Project U set up..
which one is better??? or is there something else...

vinhy
05-06-2005, 12:01 PM
got them on my sister's ek civic.
it makes a big difference. it is really sensitive, one little touch and it brakes so quickly. my brother said that b4 with stock rotors, when exiting from the freeway, the car wud shake when braking, but now with the dba rotors, the car just brakes smoothly.

garett
05-06-2005, 03:47 PM
the reason your brothers car was shaking was cos his rotors were fu*^ed, when rotors are warped or lumpy when braking it will shake or vibrate the car. dba discs are good but are simply factory replacements which are made in australia, they make a slotted and a x drilled aswell, the slotted simply assists in brake fade as they are harder to glaze as the slots shim the pads on every rotation. and x drilled help with cooling as the air can flow through the face of the disc so it will keep cooler longer.

yes they are made to be fitted using OEM calipers as they are a standard replacement. normally cost about 230 each give or take for slotted and more for X drilled

ekslut
05-06-2005, 03:51 PM
Be careful with cross drilled rotors as they can crank between the holes when heated up (After a hard drive). This is why you will find most high end disks are just slotted

tegstar83
05-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Umm look at Porche

Speeder
05-06-2005, 08:52 PM
Umm look at Porche

Umm look at the price :p

Yeah I need to replace my disks in the near future too, I was looking at DBA slotted rotors too, I heard they do the job.
Any input?

Zimp13
05-06-2005, 09:47 PM
i used them before.... it is really good.....

tanghy
05-06-2005, 10:21 PM
get slotted not x drilled from DBA
DBA states in their web that their drilled rotors are not for motorsports use
unless you are only changing the rotors for bling factor

LO_N_SXC
06-06-2005, 09:54 AM
i have the sloteds on my LS and they have been fine ever since I fited them onto my ride, if I were you I would just setle for Sloteds, no need for cross drilled only if you intend to hit the trak very often? Oh and the car may shake due to Heat spots on the rotors, you can tell when you look at them when they have blue/purple patches on the metal, so what happens is that when yoo press on the break the pads wont clamp or make any friction on those spots, thats what is giving you that shaking.
if you wanna rectify this just get them mashined or replace them with DBA Sloteds!

God luck!

Alex

Steer^Gimic
06-06-2005, 10:43 AM
Umm look at Porche

look at the factory call back cause of brake failure

weezer
06-06-2005, 12:03 PM
i used to have the "longlife" gold series. Warped in 1 month. cracked in 3. And if you look at the website it says it cannot sustain hard braking 120kph+ or something like that. Their 4000 series on the other hand i heard are quite good.

flyhonda
06-06-2005, 04:22 PM
ive used cross drilled and slotted rotors on my car, and they never warped or cracked or anything. i think it probably has to do with heat and pressure load and so forth but i guess if porsche can have it on their cars and have no problems(i guess?) then it should be ok. ive actually never seen anyone else with a cracked or warpped disc..

ekslut
06-06-2005, 04:56 PM
From reading on the DBA site, they themselves admit that cross drilled rotors have a tendancy to crack. But they did also state that a upgrade in rotor size and calipers will help prevent cracking. I am guessing because it can spread the heat around in a larger area.

Porsche can probably come stock with drilled rotors because they have huge calipers and disks, therefore not as much brake pressure is needed to slow the car down, therefore less heat. Also they use ceramic disks, which I am guessing would help too.

But if you are just going to be driving around normally with a few hard braking corners every now and then, then I guess drilled would be fine. But if you are going to go for some hard drives in the mountains, then I suggest not.

Anyways, I dont really see the point in slotted rotors, besides a bit of bling factor. They are a tiny bit lighter, and might cool a tiny bit better, but whats the point when there is a chance they will crack and waste the $500 you have just spent on them. (And most people I have talked to have had problems and have said never again)

vtml
06-06-2005, 05:45 PM
For people to go to track: get DBA ClubSpec 4000 (or 5000 if it's available for your car)
For people who do not track (which is most of you pansies): get the normal DBA discs, be it slotted, or slotted or cross drilled.

tinkerbell
06-06-2005, 05:57 PM
i believe there is a huge difference between expensive 'cast' discs(porsche, mercs etc) and cheaper 'drilled' discs...

i ahve used DBA 4000 Wiper slot discs without a hitch, but my DBA golds cracked due to tracking...

vtml
06-06-2005, 09:13 PM

Can you please be more specific on which part of the brake is failing?

tegstar83
06-06-2005, 10:20 PM

Yeah not sure on that one but I dont understand y Porche would put crap disks on a car thats practically track prepped especially on a 300 grand car

Also the ceramic discs are an option but even the other discs have cross drilled rotors

tinkerbell
06-06-2005, 11:09 PM
i believe there is a huge difference between expensive 'cast' discs(porsche, mercs etc) and cheaper 'drilled' discs...

i think i have the erroneous comments regarding Porsche discs covered....

tegstar83
06-06-2005, 11:25 PM
No I never said they where crap Ive always believed Porche has mad brakes

vtml
07-06-2005, 12:39 AM

i ahve used DBA 4000 Wiper slot discs without a hitch, but my DBA golds cracked due to tracking...

Additional note: Brembo brake discs are manufactured to be cross drilled to begin with, meaning that no holes were ever drilled onto the discs.

Redteg
10-06-2005, 10:19 PM
I just picked up my RDA slotted rotors today, hoping to source some EBC Greenstuffs this weekend and install it all.

I shall review when installed