PDA

View Full Version : [Brisbane] Possible Racing? Ideas?

nEUROtic
06-06-2005, 01:05 PM
Does anyone know where in brisbane you can get some track time? Whats involved do u need any special type of car or license? Costs or nething? I'd just be interested in doing a few hot laps, see what it can do etc. Keeping it off the streets !

baboo
06-06-2005, 03:04 PM
www.queenslandraceway.com.au

they run monthly sprint days costs $75 per entry. $55 for a yearly licence.
You need helmet, long sleeves & enough petrol!!

nEUROtic
06-06-2005, 04:02 PM
Thats cheap! What do u get for your 75 bucks in terms of time?

spoondc2
06-06-2005, 04:09 PM
From 8:00am-12:00pm or 1:00pm to 5:00pm unlimited laps
It's the cheapest track in Brisbane i think, or you need to go to Morgan Park or Darlington Park

nEUROtic
06-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Do you need any special mods for your car or nething? (Need / Want please seperate)

vinhy
06-06-2005, 04:52 PM
is the licence a CAMS one or an AASA.

PNR888
06-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Do you need any special mods for your car or nething? (Need / Want please seperate)

Hi there,
I went to QLD raceway on 28th of May to watch Baboo do the track run.. It was good fun.. Lots of car enthusiasts there.

Here is the link to the past thread, one of forumer, Tony, had put some detail info about the sprint event at Qld raceway. that will difinetely help lots of your queries..
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20659

hey, you should come out with us at our next meet... it is so much fun..

nEUROtic
06-06-2005, 08:16 PM
I plan to

nEUROtic
06-06-2005, 08:32 PM
So whats the deal with brakes and shit do u replace the pads each go? How is a stock car going to handle it?? Also what about insurance and stuff? Its just a case of hope for the best??

EG5[KRT]
06-06-2005, 10:18 PM
well it would b good if you upgraded your brake pads and also change ur brake fluid.due to the high operating temps your fluid mayb old and mayb boil during racing.. so mayb some better fluid... also get some semi racing brake pads so that your pads will last. if u dont you will have brake fade with your stock pads... hope that helps...

nEUROtic
07-06-2005, 01:42 PM
So new pads every race? Or some better pads will set me up straight away? Can someone answer about the insurance side of things (or lack thereof)

egSi
07-06-2005, 01:59 PM
go there on the 30th of july man, some OH bogan will be there, ala me :wave:

10KRPM
07-06-2005, 04:32 PM
Insurance wont cover you on the track....unless someone proves me wrong??

So when is the next honda outing? im keen to test out the Dc2r before i sell it.

egSi
07-06-2005, 05:16 PM
lol insurance i doubt wouldnt cover a damn wheel nut.

i ahve heard the next OH bogan day out is 30th july man.

give it a squirt then :thumbsup:

EG5[KRT]
07-06-2005, 05:29 PM
the brake pad issue is that stock honda pads arent good for track... coz continuous braking will cook ur brakes... u need a higher temp brake pad i.e. project mu... ap racing ... endless etc ... something that is meant for track... egSi sells endless get some from him !!!!

edw-R
07-06-2005, 07:36 PM
egSi is selling endness brake pad..if you interest, pm him for info.
If I have time, i will go for sure.

spoondc2
07-06-2005, 07:55 PM
egSi is selling endness brake pad..if you interest, pm him for info.
If I have time, i will go for sure.

You really gotta go this time, there was a crazy Supra which shocks everyone on the track, rabbit chasing turtle

spoondc2
07-06-2005, 07:56 PM
']the brake pad issue is that stock honda pads arent good for track... coz continuous braking will cook ur brakes... u need a higher temp brake pad i.e. project mu... ap racing ... endless etc ... something that is meant for track... egSi sells endless get some from him !!!!

Hehe you're very right... I tried to use stock pads on track and it have cracks after, fade out in 7 laps too

Terry
07-06-2005, 08:43 PM
That Super is bloody fast......seeing is believing!:D

egSi
08-06-2005, 09:14 AM
please everyone make it, it would be good to prove not all qlders r ricers LOl :wave:

nEUROtic
08-06-2005, 10:18 AM
So you guys take 30K cars out on the track, totally uninsured :S Farking hell

baboo
08-06-2005, 10:38 AM
that's nothing, try asking ppl with Porsche GT2, Ferraris....300k+ car

main thing is not to drive as fast as you can but to enjoy the experience on the track and driving at a pace that you're most comfortable with.

There's no dicky police ppl hiding in bushes so you'll be able to push your car and you to the limit if you wanted to

Terry
08-06-2005, 01:08 PM

main thing is not to drive as fast as you can but to enjoy the experience on the track and driving at a pace that you're most comfortable with.

There's no dicky police ppl hiding in bushes so you'll be able to push your car and you to the limit if you wanted to

Correct! No1 reason for go to the track is not for speed, but to know your car~:D

PS:No one will laugh at you even u drive slow.....

egSi
08-06-2005, 02:14 PM
id run my beater it aint worth much but its my daily so if i crash it id be stuck lol

edw-R
08-06-2005, 04:14 PM
You really gotta go this time, there was a crazy Supra which shocks everyone on the track, rabbit chasing turtle

What is his lap time?

spoondc2
08-06-2005, 04:28 PM
What is his lap time?

57.7x....... :!:

EG5[KRT]
08-06-2005, 05:11 PM

hehe but baboo is even more crazy he has a totally naked stripped euro and hammers that around the race track like a crazy man... :p hehe baboo u funny lol

baboo
08-06-2005, 06:59 PM
']hehe but baboo is even more crazy he has a totally naked stripped euro and hammers that around the race track like a crazy man... :p hehe baboo u funny lol

Hey Brian,
I'm driving at a pace that I'm comfortable with...LOL:D

EG5[KRT]
09-06-2005, 08:54 PM
but compared to us thats crazy lol :p

turtleEK1
14-06-2005, 09:11 PM

spoke to one of the other drivers at the event and he said 'the word was' about 600hp at wheels and cruising down straight at about 250kmph... whatever it was, ain't f'en slow!! lost traction when hit boost!

spoondc2
15-06-2005, 01:43 PM
spoke to one of the other drivers at the event and he said 'the word was' about 600hp at wheels and cruising down straight at about 250kmph... whatever it was, ain't f'en slow!! lost traction when hit boost!

That is crazy, but could anyone confirm what mods did the supra had? I had hear many versions of stories, such as:
1. engine mods only, stock brake and suspension
2. GT300 engine, 50k of mods
3. He is rich and he owns BP

WTF !?!

SPEEDCORE
15-06-2005, 02:15 PM
That is crazy, but could anyone confirm what mods did the supra had? I had hear many versions of stories, such as:
1. engine mods only, stock brake and suspension
2. GT300 engine, 50k of mods

WTF !?!

I've got an idea... next time your at QR..... just go up and ask him.

Come on guys geez!

Oh and BTW..... GT300 engine LMFAO!! GT300 Supra's as far as I am concerned run an engine based on the 3S-GTE and not the 2J that originally comes with the car. And that car definately has the 2J still in there.

ekslut
15-06-2005, 02:24 PM
Insurance wont cover you on the track....unless someone proves me wrong??

Read the forms, I know that PIARC (Phillip Island Auto Racing Club) provide personal accident insurance through CAMS at all their events. But every club is different, so check first.

EG5[KRT]
15-06-2005, 09:41 PM
1. engine mods only, stock brake and suspension2. GT300 engine, 50k of mods

WTF !?!

that is your answer my friends because i asked him lol...

he has like 600hp with a farking huge turbo and he only got like 60 sec lap time he only has stock suspension and stock brakes but was running pirelli tyres .. could have made alot of difference... damn expensive to race with >.< but wat can i say he is a rich guy im guessing.

SPEEDCORE
16-06-2005, 09:48 AM
Only 60 secs??

Saturday Afternoon Sprint Series 28/05/05

Number Driver Make/Model Time

3 Peter Butler Supra 0.57.77

egSi
16-06-2005, 10:41 AM
rofl ^^^

EG5[KRT]
16-06-2005, 06:10 PM
mayb he got that afta i left .. coz when i asked him he just did a 60

spoondc2
17-06-2005, 05:09 AM
Wow.... this thread goes bit off-topic already, personally i don't trust any of the stories especially the GT300 or the stock suspension and brake thing....

I will try to ask him if i could meet him next time :confused:

Hehe.... and i don't think a guy is rich when he have $$$$ to have a BIGGG TURBO but with only stock brakes and suspension LOL, hahah sorry if i offense anyone again

EG5[KRT]
17-06-2005, 06:56 AM
i guess his car is mainly for drag...

and he was just out for a little fun i guess

spoondc2
17-06-2005, 12:59 PM
']i guess his car is mainly for drag...

and he was just out for a little fun i guess

But the speed of the car really amazing.....

EG5[KRT]
17-06-2005, 05:24 PM
i kno i kno

hotgemini
07-07-2005, 12:04 PM
I work at QR as a driving instructor and also know Pete with the black supra quite well (it was actually me who hassled him into coming out for his first sprint) the suspension is TTMBOMK stock, might have a set of springs but that really is about it, his tyre wear patterns are really excellent considering that, nice and even across the face. The brakes are stock, don't know what pads he runs, he isn't really pushing the car near its limits (pete will happily admit he's no racing driver). Pete's supra is mostly just a fun road car but I won't delve into that too much.

Getting back on topic, if you'd like to test your skill and your car in SEQ you've got a couple of options;
1) QR sprint days, there are saturday afternoon sprints (SAS), saturday afternoon clubman sprints (SACS) and the wednesday afternoon clubman sprints (WACS). The SAS is aimed more at first timers with the clubman events originally being aimed at those who have done at least 5 SAS events. You'll need to get an AASA annual license and pay the entry fees on the day. www.queenslandraceway.com.au

2) MGCCQ Mount Cotton Hillclimb. The MG car club operates a hillclimb out at mount cotton about 30 minutes south of the city. For those that don't know a hillclimb is different than a traditional circuit race in that each car runs seperately against the clock in completing one run of the track at the time. To run in the road car class you'll need (from memory) an approved helmet, supplementary bonnet restraint (a friend runs a spectra climbing sling and a carabiner because he didn't want the hassle of bonnet pins), 'headlight protectors' (clear contact over any glass headlights, or tape, or whatever) and a blue triangle (15cm along each side IIRC) to mark the location of your battery. You will also need a cams 2S license, which allows you to run in 'sprint' event s(eg. anything with only one car on the track at a time) www.mgccq.org.au

3)HSCCQ motorkhana series, the holden sporting car club runs a motorkhana series, often hosted in the 'paddock' (bitumen) area of the Qld. Raceway complex. A motorkhana is a handling/navigation event around a 'test' marked out with plastic posts run against the clock. The most basic test might be a slalom with the most dificult being quite tricky to remember from the drivers seat. To run you need a CAMS 2S license. Motorkhanas are probably the cheapest form of motorsport in existence and the best choice for anyone worried about writing off their daily driver. www.hsccq.asn.au

hotgemini
07-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Onto the next part of the question "what do I need to do to my car"

My honest answer is that if you've never driven on the track before, you're probably best not doing any 'upgrades' except perhaps a set of performance brake pads, don't get too stuck up on japanese names, something ferodo formula or bendix ultimates will probably be quite sufficient.

1. Check your fluids, check your oil level make sure that with the engine at operating temperature it is up to the full mark. Check your coolant level, check your power steering levels. Ideally check your gearbox oil level but this doesn't tend to change as much.

2. Replace your brake fluid, if your brake fluid is more than 3 months old, replace it. Most dot 4 brake fluid will probably be quite adequate for your first track excursion, I use and recommend castrol lubricants, in this instance I recommend a mid-range fluid like Castrol's 'Response Super Dot 4' (http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_australia/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/a/AU_Response_Super_DOT_4.pdf) fluid. Don't bother with expensive race fluids unless you're aware of a serious shortcoming in your brakes.

To replace the fluid, use a large syringe to remove the majority of the old fluid from the reservoirs (without uncovering the master cylinder inlet), then fill with your new fluid, bleed all four wheels (starting furthest from the master cylinder) until clean new fluid is coming out. If you don't know how, get a mechanic you trust to do it on specific instructions, check his work.

3. Check your pads, if you don't know their specs (brand, model) consider buying a known pad as a baseline. If the pads are more than probably 1/2 to 2/3rds worn, its probably best to replace them until you're familiar with your pad wear rate, better than finishing the day with no pads. Consider buying a spare set of pads to carry just in case, much easier than trying to find pads at 5pm on saturday night. I use and recommend ferodo disc brake pads and DBA rotors (www.dba.com.au).

4. Check your tyre pressures, buy a reasonable tyre pressure gauge and carry it with you religiously. For road tyres on the track, you're going to want higher pressures than on the street, something in the order of 40psi is probably a good starting pressure to work from.

5. Check your tyres, keep in mind that track use will wear your tyres very quickly, particularly road tyres which aren't designed for that sort of use. Make sure you don't end up driving home on unroadworthy tyres.

That really is about it, for the first dozen times you are on the track the single biggest limitting factor will almost certainly be you, the driver. Don't worry about going overboard spending money on massive horsepower, super expensive gizmos or anything else. Get to know your car, your abilities and your local track beforehand, then you'll be better informed as to where you can best invest your hard earned money.

hotgemini
07-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Now to answer a question that wasn't even asked, how to prepare the most failure prone component of any vehicle.

The Driver.

So you've just decided you want to take your car onto the track, you've decided on a venue, an event and a date. You've checked and double-checked that your car is ready, where to now?

1. Enter/book early.
Tracks and organisers hate the last minute hassles, ring early, ask the right questions (its my first time, what do I need to do?) and listen to their answer. Get any necessary paperwork pre-prepared and where possible submit it in advance (but keep a copy for yourself in case it is lost. Make sure you've got the appropriate licenses, clothing and equipment, it will vary from track-to-track and event-to-event.

2. Check over you car the day before, I know you checked it earlier but do it again just to be sure. That way you can get parts if necessary

3. Remove unnecessary stuff from your car before you leave home, remove the random clutter from your footwells and centre console etc. If your ICE is removable (eg. subwoofer box) then take it out before you leave.

4. Arrive early, just because the track time starts at 1pm doesn't mean that is when you should arrive. Ask the organiser/track what time they recommend and then aim to be there at least 20 minutes before that, you'll have plenty of things to do if you're there earlier.

5. Sign in etc. Find the organiser/official and do any necessary sign in work. Depending on the event the scrutineers may need to look over you car to ensure it meets any class/safety requirements. Find out when you'll run and how you need to assemble/group up/etc. Familiarise yourself with the running order, find out which cars are in the group before you so you're not caught napping. Attend any briefings etc.

6. Find your appropriate spot in the paddock, remove any other 'necessary' equipment. A lot of people remove their spare tyre to save weight. Take out any tools/fluids/lunch/cameras/folding chairs/drinks your brought with you and leave them with your trusty helper. Do your final fluids and tyre pressures check and make sure the engine is up to running temperature before your run.

7. Keeping in mind when/where you need to assemble for your run, ask around the nearby people who'd they'd recommend for advice, listen but remember not everyone knows as much as they think they do.

8. When your time comes, line/group up and wait for the starters direction, make sure you've watched a few runs so you know what the procedure is.

9. Take your first run/lap relatively easy, familiarise yourself with the track and how your car handles, no point breaking your car early in the day. If running with other cars, make an effort to check your mirrors at the same point each lap, cars will appear out of nowhere. Keep calm, be methodical, remember any mistakes and focus on your line rather than outright speed. Check your water temperature at least once per lap at a specific point (front straight, back straight)

10. Upon being flagged-in/completeing your run, in sprints make your last lap a nice slow cool down lap. In other events, make a nice slow return to your spot in the paddock, let your brakes cool down before you park, there might be somewhere you can slowly drive around to allow the car to cool. Once you park, let the car idle for a minute or two to stabilise engine temperature.

11. Mentally run through items you'd like to improve in your next run/session, discuss particular corners/areas with the other competitors but again keep in mind sometimes you will receive incorrect advice, only sometimes but be aware of it.

12. Get your timesheet etc when it becomes available and prepare for your next run. Consider checking oil levels etc.

SPEEDCORE
07-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Onto the next part of the question "what do I need to do to my car"

My honest answer is that if you've never driven on the track before, you're probably best not doing any 'upgrades' except perhaps a set of performance brake pads

Mate I could not agree more! :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forums too. :)

Muzz
01-09-2006, 01:04 AM
Excelent advice there hotgemini - i have one question, what happens if somone crashes into your car out on the track?

Who pays the dammmage bill?
You
Him
Some sort of insurane coverage
Gotta hastle them to pay

spardikis
01-09-2006, 04:30 PM
awesome info mate! cant wait to hit the track:)

turtleEK1
01-09-2006, 08:59 PM
errr... this thread hadn't been touched for over a year guys... diggin up some old material

and to answer your question... if you hit someone else... its between yous two... i doubt qld raceway will want to have anything to do with it because your out there at your own risk... and i'm sure your insurance company won't think much of you when they hear your out tracking your car!! not to mention some other cars out there are not street registed and not insured! they're strictly track cars.

SPEEDCORE
02-09-2006, 04:16 PM
No insurance.... so think very long and hard before you hit the track!

People holding you up I think is the most dangerous part of these sprint days. Last time I was out there if it was not for me reading what was going to happen I would have been T-boned by some guy in a brand spanking new Maloo ute. Was going to overtake (or hope to be let by cause he was holding me up) in the next little straight so I was right up his butt, he just plants it out of the esses trying to get away from me and I see him get a real agressive angle happening.... then I noticed the amount of opposite lock he had put on..... I immediately washed off as much speed as I could and he snapped back and slid off the track right across the face of the civic about 30cms in front. Had I not read it the civic would not have been here anymore due to how agressively the ute snapped back on him.

Damn all this track talk makes me wanna head out! :)

turtleEK1
02-09-2006, 05:23 PM
actually... i had a near miss with that same dude earlier in teh year when he was in my class... he cut off trying to take inside line coming into the first dipper... hes a liability!! i guess thats the thing out there, you could an awesome driver... but all it takes is another Maloo ute hoon to cause an accident!

btw- adrian, clear your inbox, i've been trying to pm you

vtec>turbo
02-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Yes. Mr Maloo cannot drive. Nor can a few of the series 4/5 rx7 boys.