PDA

View Full Version : Backfiring sound?

medo
07-06-2005, 03:21 AM
Hi guys,
I bought a 94' DC2 recently and got a 2 1/4" cat-back exhaust system installed 2 weeks ago... one thing i've noticed since i got it installed (apart from the performance increase and nice note) is that when i gear down before a corner i get a sort of "backfiring" sound coming out of the exhaust. It sounds pretty cool, but i was just wondering if it was normal?
Thanks.

Loving my :honda:

|N|
07-06-2005, 03:25 AM
i get that too... but i think its just that the zhorst is too big... its the air presure in tehre...

edw-R
07-06-2005, 03:31 AM
Is it too rich?

HRV-80Y
07-06-2005, 12:13 PM
yeah that's normal...

bigger exhaust pipping or bigger muffle i.e. canon...or both result in the backfire...

more air flow = more back pressure...

try reset your ecu should get evn more backfiring ! :p :p :p

Boost
07-06-2005, 12:43 PM
yeh its running slight too rich... rest ecu.

medo
07-06-2005, 02:41 PM
so i should reset my ecu?
...this may be a stupid question, but how do i do that? :confused:

<sloth>
07-06-2005, 05:10 PM
<search> :D

z3lda
07-06-2005, 05:18 PM
should of got a exhaust system with no cat or hotdogs...then u'll have flames..muhahah

GSI-PSI
07-06-2005, 07:58 PM
fully disconnect ya battery for about an hour and then reconnect it 2 reset ya ecu ;)

^^v
07-06-2005, 08:29 PM
for an hour?
what the heck.. u dun need to do that lolz...

either..
- unhook the -ve connector of the battery or simply disconnect ur ecu...
- step on the brakes so that the brakes light drains any stored power in the car's electrical system...
- put back the - ve connector of the battery..
- turn on the ignition key on for 5 seconds then back off for 3 consecutive times....

after thats done.. u gotta go thru the idle learn procedure..
which is as follows..
- start the car
- allow engine to run till its reached optium running temp... usually when the temp guage reaches just under half way...
- n if u got a/c.. turn on for 10 secs..
- turn off ignition.. n ur done :)

edit: slightly diff for AT cars...

Fattony
07-06-2005, 08:37 PM
To reset your ecu you need to locate engine bay fuse/relay box, then remove the BACK-UP fuse for at least 10 seconds. This will also cancel your radio presets as it also cuts power to that aswell as your on board diagnostics which resets all the learnt settings.

This will not stop the backfiring sound from your exhaust, i had to reset my ecu for another engine diagnositcs reason (read: yanked on o2 sensor wires when installing the exhaust so the engine light come on and told me the internal 02 sensor heater isnt working, to clear this light i needed to reset the ecu) and this was after i installed a straight through exhaust with headers. The backfiring is caused by unburnt fuel being detonated in your exhaust, it is natural for motors to do this as they do run on the rich side of things on occasions when ecu is not in closed loop mode

medo
08-06-2005, 01:24 AM
thanks guys, much appreciated

MoonSha
09-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Cruise at fourth, at about 45 slowly put it back into second over the space of about 1 second. Makes a huge backfire with my exhaust :D

Fattony
09-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Sorry i retract my statement that its the car running rich causing a backfiring in your exhaust, stumbled across some info that its due to that operation of closed loop shuting down injectors as you down change between a certian rpm (i found with my car that it happens when you downshift and land the rpm when you engage the lower gear in the high three thousand rpm range) the ecu also retards the ignition timing in the process and this inturn is apparently what causes the burbling in the exhaust during downshifts, however if the ignition timing was able to be advanced as this happens apparently this would not occur, so aslong as you retain a factory ecu i think your stuck with the problem.

TODA AU
09-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Look for any small pin holes in the exhaust system.
These small holes can suck in air on the down shift & cause this burbling sound.

sharky
10-06-2005, 07:11 PM
Look for any small pin holes in the exhaust system.
These small holes can suck in air on the down shift & cause this burbling sound.

ie, bad welding on cheaper brand headers?

TYPE-ONE
10-06-2005, 07:30 PM
i get it all the time with my 2.25" system. and in the instances where i take it up to 4-5k it will occasionally pop a flame according to my frens. ehhe

vteccoupe
12-06-2005, 12:52 AM
ur car has just farted....gay..lol:D

Dylanamus
15-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Mine sometimes makes a subtle backfire when deccelerating. Do you think running a higher octane fuel than the engine is tuned to could cause this maybe?

Rice_4_life
15-12-2006, 04:08 PM
reset ecu the easy way go to dealership plug in HDS and clik one button. no labour for uuuu :P

dynosaur
17-12-2006, 08:32 AM
reset ecu the easy way go to dealership plug in HDS and clik one button. no labour for uuuu :P

really ? :confused:

Rice_4_life
17-12-2006, 02:58 PM
really for wot? the hds or the no labour bit :P ?