PDA

View Full Version : Some LS Questions

sockai
07-06-2005, 08:54 PM
Hey guys,
just purchased an LS teggy today, and there seems to be a knocking sound coming from the engine. Anyone know what this is? It doesn't sound like pinging, maybe something to do with the cams or valves? Also, has anyone had a problem with the headlights turning a bit yellow, and is there a cheap solution to clean them?
Thanks

dc2dc2dc2
07-06-2005, 09:08 PM
ummm...sockai do a search there was a an article on cleaning Gen2 headlighs written not too long ago. i got told to use a "nail polish remover" worked pretty well with a bit of elbow grease...but not the best. And i have no idea whats wrong with ur engine.

tegboy
07-06-2005, 09:27 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20104

Here is my guide to restoring them

aus91integra
07-06-2005, 09:31 PM
any of the mounts broken? i found that after 200,00kms the front mount was shagged which used to make a rocking type noise.. but i think u may need to be a bit more specific when you say noise.... could be tappet noise or dirty injectors

sockai
07-06-2005, 09:51 PM
Ahhh okay... thanks for the guides guys.
Yeah it's done 220,000kms so i'll check the mounts when there's light out.
The sound is like...a tapping noise that increases with revs.
I'll get a better description when i take her out next
thanks for the advice guys =P

NTR16N
08-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Most of the tyme mounts are only stuffed on lowered cars with bad ass shocks... but its worth checking out...

I had a friend whos LS had control arm problems which cause the engine to make funni sounds on accelerating... theres a few bits round that area which could cause a problem...

and the lights... yeahH!! follow the thread...
Meguirs Plastx does wonders ;)

Dtegra
08-06-2005, 01:28 PM
could be three things i can think of
1. big end bearing...one time in its life the oil would have been low and still driven which causes bearings to seize ans big end bearing isnt good..is the main bearing that helps turn you crankshaft..basically if thats the knocking you have to ge a rebuild....and that exact thing happen to me...its liek u start the car revs go up and down so does the knocking sound then u rev it it does it again u drive and as u drive its get loudder and faster sorry you had to hear that...and usually th noise is alot louder jus if u put ur head near the side high engine mout like near the alternator if its real loud there then ..im sorry..

2. tappets and valves go to a mechanic as them to do an adjustment..but that noise is clicky and fast and goes away wen u accelerate but stays on at idle...

3.engine mounts...for me i changed my mounts to near solid engine mounts ..Energy suspension inserts..*thanks to ebay* and are the bed thing but i dont know really how they coz a knocking more of a thumping as i had the same thingg with mine i had 3 broken engine mounts..best thing to do is if ur in sydney go to smithifiled to Hanny's there on victoria street..(02) 97255115 ask for robert if u go there he's a god..and hannys is the best...
good luck man and hope for the best..

LS Integra
08-06-2005, 02:07 PM
i think its the same noise i got.. i doesnt really sound like like a knocking.. sounds like air hitting something and making a weird noise aye?

my solution, turn ur music up loud and then all u can hear is ur exhaust..

CASE CLOSED!

:)

Jnr_Mint
08-06-2005, 02:30 PM
LOL..this sounds like the same problem i had when i brought my teg, once you pass 20km/h a bird sound appears and increases to p*ss you off the faster you go. This was the reason why the bloke was selling it, and even told me that the noise would put off any interested buyer.
He told me he got it checked out by beaureparies and they said it was a bearing, and he wasnt sure on how much it was going to cost, so he was prepared to sell it...
The tapping noise can be fixed in MINUTES, all you need to do is re-grease up you speedo cable and the problem is fixed instantly, your gotta understand the cable hasnt been greased up for more than 15 years so i strongly suggest trying this out. It worked for me : )

aznsiko
08-06-2005, 02:51 PM
the knocking sound could be your tappets.. you should take it down to Hannys and get it check out to be safe.. and if you wana clear the headlights from discoloring.. try some wax.. it helps a bit.. or what you could do is give it a ligh sand and den a new coat of clear..

sockai
09-06-2005, 12:31 AM
Haha thanks for the replies guys. I'm in Perth so yeah, just gotta get some ppl to look at it within the next few weeks. Hope it's not the bigend bearing O_O whereabouts is the speedo cable located? I'll try that tm =P

LO_N_SXC
09-06-2005, 09:30 AM
I suggest all of the above!

Jnr_Mint
09-06-2005, 09:42 PM
sockai - Sorry bro i got no idea where the speedo cable is located, my dad is my personal mechanic lol, so he maintains my car for me and he was the one who located the cable to re-grease it, i would ask him now but he is sleeping, i will ask him tommorow and get back to ya : )

aus91integra
09-06-2005, 09:55 PM
on ur gear box .. theres a thick black cable like wire about 7-10mm in diameter.. connected to ur gearbox.. You can trace is back from the firewall.. its sorta next to ur brake booster (black round container) .. its got a rubber grommet and the thick wire comes out... follow that down to your gearbox.. should be another rubber cover over the top of where it sits on the (speed transducer).. after pulling off rubber cover or maybe even tape... be careful not to lose the clip inside... its like a paper clip thing... once thats out u can pull the wire core out... thats ur speedo cable.. then u use either bearing grease to oil it up.. and then slip it back in slowly trying not to scrape the edges or it will scrape the grease off.. then just put everything back together... also if u got the time.. take ur dash cluster out.. and u can grease that end too.., its got a white clip on the cable end..

sockai
10-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Alright, thanks man =P

Jnr_Mint
16-06-2005, 07:51 PM
was that the problem sockai?... speedo cable?

sockai
17-06-2005, 01:57 AM
nope! it's tappet noise according to some vtechnique boys... just gotta go get a valve adjustment and it should all be good =P