PDA

View Full Version : ported vs unported sub install

panda[cRx]
07-06-2005, 10:22 PM
atm i have a 12inch kick sub in the kick box which is great however it takes up so much boot space which there is not alot of in crx's so i was thinking of doin a custom install like this http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7305

so basically i wanna know what the sound difference would be like?

what are the pros and cons of ported vs unported?

thx

mugeneration
07-06-2005, 10:51 PM
u wana do sumfin like wat? lol

um yeah custom installs can look much better if you do it classy and use good materials like fibreglass etc, instead of just throwin wood all over the place. Pros of ported are
-If the port length and diameter is correctly matched to the box volume and subwoofer's characteristics it will greatly increase efficiency and a good ported box offers lower distortion.

cons - if you stuff it up you will hate yourself for wasting time and money lol :D

davey
07-06-2005, 10:57 PM
i found that with the ported box it didnt seem to have much bass when the volume is low, but up high it produced heaps of bass, and with a sealed box it produced solid bass through the volume range.

Captiva_Blue
07-06-2005, 11:51 PM
Ported is good if you listen to doof doof or mp3s and if you can correctly tune the port. If you don't tune it properly, it will sound like crap and will most probably damage the woofer.

Sealed will give much more punchy and accurate bass if it is correctly sized and is much better suited to a DIY job because it can be approximate in dimensions and not sound like crap. Problem is sealed is less effiecent and you need more power to make it play loud.

Personally, I like sealed because it suits the music I listen to best and because I'm a freak for SQL. Go for sealed if you're gonna build one yourself.

panda[cRx]
08-06-2005, 12:25 AM
sorry whats SQL? :p

i might have a crack at it sometime soon then.

Captiva_Blue
08-06-2005, 12:38 AM
SQL = Sound Quality. Its not that hard, just follow the Theile & Small parameters that come with the woofer (they specify the size of the box needed) and you can't really go wrong.

fried
08-06-2005, 01:15 AM
panda... i think you will find that certain subwoofers are made to match with ported enclosures with certain dimensions, and some are made to match with enclosed ones.

if you dont match it up, it will most probably be a waste of time, and the change in sound quality might or might not be better.

best thing is to google the subwoofer u have and try and find out what the specs are, and perhaps find the homepage and see what characterstics the subwoofer has, whether is reacts well with ported or enclosed boxes. good luck man!

fried
08-06-2005, 01:18 AM
Ported is good if you listen to doof doof or mp3s and if you can correctly tune the port. If you don't tune it properly, it will sound like crap and will most probably damage the woofer.

Sealed will give much more punchy and accurate bass if it is correctly sized and is much better suited to a DIY job because it can be approximate in dimensions and not sound like crap. Problem is sealed is less effiecent and you need more power to make it play loud.

Personally, I like sealed because it suits the music I listen to best and because I'm a freak for SQL. Go for sealed if you're gonna build one yourself.

also, the phsycal nature of pandas small crw hatch make for a great platform for bass to really carry throughout the cabin. u wont need it too loud. just match up the power rating with an amp and get the right enclosure, and you'll be set y0

panda[cRx]
08-06-2005, 08:02 AM
looks like i'll be chasing up a new sub lol

this one sounds nice so seems a lil risky :p
i might give it a go in a few weeks

CRXY01
11-06-2005, 11:13 PM

Good information!

Panda I personally wouldn’t change a box that has been setup by the manufacturer as they spend a lot of time and money getting the setups working well.

chan
13-06-2005, 04:45 PM
SQL = Sound Quality. Its not that hard, just follow the Theile & Small parameters that come with the woofer (they specify the size of the box needed) and you can't really go wrong.

nope SQL != Sound Quality. SQL is a mix of SQ and SPL which means good sound quality and loud.

a seal box allows a sub has more control, hence, it will sound tighter and better. a port box allows the sub to gain +3db (louder) if tuned probably (with correct internal box size after displacement, correct port diameter and correct port length.

usually, people decide to go with seal vs port depends on 3 things the sub spec (a sub can be designed for seal box, ported box or both), with type of music the sub is for and personal preference. For the sub spec, u have to look at something like Qts, Qf...

ITRBoI
13-06-2005, 11:13 PM
i say go seal cause the bass dont sounds like it distorting, if you know what i mean cause of the air coming in and out of the port.

TEG61E
14-06-2005, 12:02 AM
Ported generally allows for more volume, and a deeper tone.
Sealed gives a better response and a punchier bass.

It really depends on what sort of music u listen to. Personally prefer sealed for sound quality. Also, ported boxes usually require a larger volume, and this isnt too good for ur CRX's boot space.

adam87
16-06-2005, 02:51 PM
you can also have a ported box that incorporates a port that is designed for spl and then you can have a smaller port that tunes the box for sq. the sq port can be made to slot inside the spl port. therfore you can have the best of both worlds.

destrukshn
21-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Personal opinion, i reckon the sealed box for a 12". Otherwise there will be too much distortion and vibrating coming out.

_CiVIC_
21-06-2005, 04:46 PM
Personal opinion, i reckon the sealed box for a 12". Otherwise there will be too much distortion and vibrating coming out.

Absolutely correct, sealed would be much better for all sized subs. If you are planning to put them into your CRX you would be better off keeping them sealed, as the bass will bounce off the walls of your car, as it is a hatch, thus allowing the bass to pass through the parcel tray much easier hence producing more bass compared to a sedan for example.

adam87
23-06-2005, 09:27 AM
the bass is going to bounce off the walls regardless. it just depends whether your after loud spl or a tighter bass note. also if space is a concern then definetly go sealed.

panda[cRx]
20-07-2005, 04:25 PM
bump

is there like an ideal size to have for each sized/powered sub?

like stated originally i'm interested in doin a custom enclosure but am a n00b stereo wise. basically i am thinking of goin with two 10" or 12" subs.

Z
20-07-2005, 04:47 PM
There will be a specific size for each sub. Ported will always be larger. If size is your main concern (which it should be in a crx) go sealed. If your not entering shows etc. it wont make _that_ much of a difference. You should be happy.

Im thinking of ditching my ported 12w3 for a sealed to save space :thumbsup:

panda[cRx]
20-07-2005, 05:05 PM
eya hi'm loking at goin sealed but wanted to know how big i should make it

chan
20-07-2005, 06:11 PM
in general, the bigger the box the better it sound and the more power it requires. refer to the spec for the size.

tegstar83
21-07-2005, 06:36 PM
what crap are u talking man it just sounds louder the bigger u go

Z
22-07-2005, 04:14 PM
']eya hi'm loking at goin sealed but wanted to know how big i should make it

Should be listed in the specs with the sub.

Sealed will also require more power than a ported (not sure if it was mentioned before- didnt read the whole thread :o )

panda[cRx]
22-07-2005, 04:15 PM
cool thx. i'm a lil while off attempting my custom enclosure as i have more important things lined up first but i'll post pics n shit up when i do it :)

zorrt
22-07-2005, 04:44 PM
']cool thx. i'm a lil while off attempting my custom enclosure as i have more important things lined up first but i'll post pics n shit up when i do it :)

Volume of box should be according to manufacturers specifications. Don't exceed the max. recommended volume. Normally would be found on the box the sub came in, but better yet visit the manufacturers website as it will give you min. and max volume and also the nominal volume.

Sealed boxes generally requires more power.

It might be a better idea to just buy a box from any auto shops, better design and save urself the hassle. I spent like $60 making my box and I could of bought one for $70 eheh. MDF + glue + carpet.

panda[cRx]
22-07-2005, 04:55 PM
i already have a perfectly good 12inch sub with box that produces great sound..... it's just takes up too much space in my boot so wanna make custom ones.