PDA

View Full Version : DC5 HIDs

dark138
08-06-2005, 03:18 PM
I m looking to install a set of HID on my DC5R, doing a little bit of searching, i've found out it needs some kind of custom stand for the bulbs to go on..

anybody here has HIDs install on their DC5 and any experiences?

chinesewhisperz
15-01-2007, 05:46 PM
sup everyone..i'm after hids & i know everyone recommends 6000k. but i was just wondering if anyone has 8000k (or even 10000k) in their ride & how well do they cope around Sydney streets.

X8TEENX
15-01-2007, 07:04 PM
i m using 7500k HID on my dc5 atm....i think i m ok wif that since i hav installed it for like 1.5 years...

JetSir
15-01-2007, 07:45 PM
You will need to cut or drill the X-clips so that the HID Bulb will fit in perfect.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a336/inmydream316/install05.jpg

Tofu
15-01-2007, 10:48 PM
that's not a picture of the xclip

the xclip is the plastic bit your light bulbs (H1 sized original bulbs) stick to
just cut it flush and it fits perfectly...
i have two sets of HID on both of my DC5, one with the xclip cut flush, the other is with the xclip's center bit drilled out. definately works better if you cut it flush.

4300K is the brightest, but not the best of colours (yellowish white)
my other kit is 5000K and it's bluish white. But it all depends on which ballast you use also.

vtag
16-01-2007, 10:35 AM
You don't actually have to modify the X-Clip (as seen in Club-RSX forum)

All you need to ensure is the bulbs goes behind the pin.

I have got 8000k. : )

chinesewhisperz
16-01-2007, 01:57 PM
You don't actually have to modify the X-Clip (as seen in Club-RSX forum)

All you need to ensure is the bulbs goes behind the pin.

I have got 8000k. : )

visually behind the wheel. how good are they for you at night & during rainy conditions?

vtag
17-01-2007, 07:25 AM
8k is visually dangerous to drive during rainy conditions. You need to turn on your high beam during those condition. but again high beam might be an irritant to other drivers on the road.

air23box
19-01-2007, 01:48 AM
I use 8000k.....not a single problem on rainy days since install....can see how it looks on my avastar

AUDMDC5R
19-01-2007, 09:21 PM
i've got 6000k, super white with a slight tinge, quite nice
but really depends on the brand an quality of the HID, as the brightness and colour may vary

chinesewhisperz
20-01-2007, 05:20 PM
alright it's settled..i'm gettin 8ks & if it rains, oncoming traffic will jus have to suffer my high beams if that's the case. thanks for the advice peepz

air23box
22-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Dun you specify what kind of bulb you need when you buy you hid kit? such as H1 or H3? so you dun need the stand to get it fit?? I get mine in without problem...

I m looking to install a set of HID on my DC5R, doing a little bit of searching, i've found out it needs some kind of custom stand for the bulbs to go on..

anybody here has HIDs install on their DC5 and any experiences?

Professional
22-01-2007, 11:26 PM
As i know, pure white is the best and will not get pull-over.

redteggie
30-01-2007, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the help guys! (i'm not thread starter haha but i do hope to put in some hids).

It's not a defect in NSW right? I heard its not but just want to make sure. Thanks for info, I think 5000-6000k sounds perfect for me =D

mecca
01-02-2007, 03:28 PM
I believe they can defect you :(
HIDs in Australia have to abide by ADRs. Unfortunately if you don't have an auto self leveling system and cleaning system it is illegal and you can be defected. All AU OEM HIDs have these. Not to mention correct HID projectors/reflectors which correctly utilise the HID light output as well as cut offs.
That is why to reduce risk and attention, stick to 4.3k, but most people like a bit of bling, hence 5k-10k. Hopefully the police will just ignore, else they might ask you to please explain, maybe.

haiz
01-02-2007, 05:46 PM
I believe they can defect you :(
HIDs in Australia have to abide by ADRs. Unfortunately if you don't have an auto self leveling system and cleaning system it is illegal and you can be defected. All AU OEM HIDs have these. Not to mention correct HID projectors/reflectors which correctly utilise the HID light output as well as cut offs.
That is why to reduce risk and attention, stick to 4.3k, but most people like a bit of bling, hence 5k-10k. Hopefully the police will just ignore, else they might ask you to please explain, maybe.

^^ bingo, it is a defect without the autoleveling and self cleaning systems.

m0nk3y
19-08-2007, 10:38 PM
hi guys

sorry i'm digging up a thread from months ago, but i just installed 6000k HIDs in my DC5 - beautiful. I didnt take off the front bar to install the ballasts, so where would be the best places to put them.

On the driver's side, the ballast sits right on the side of the engine bay. the passenger side if a bit hard, as i've had to wedge it near the battery. I cant place it on the very left hand side unless i want to cover the build plate.

can anyone suggest any better place for it? i could stick it on the side of the air box, or the side of the battery.

i'll try get a pic of the engine bay tomorow

air23box
19-08-2007, 11:08 PM
The best place is under ur headlight bro......

m0nk3y
19-08-2007, 11:13 PM
yeh i mean i could take off the front bar etc but its so much hassle lol

if its in the engine bay, its so much easier to diagnose any problems

air23box
19-08-2007, 11:15 PM
I've get mine done for years and no problem so far.....as long as you did a good job once.....I like to keep my engine bay clean....lol

bungsai
19-08-2007, 11:15 PM
under the headlight.

m0nk3y
19-08-2007, 11:20 PM
alrite guys, where ELSE could i put it, besides under the headlight :)

Amusevtec
20-08-2007, 12:16 AM
Under the head light. My x clips wherent modified, just make sure the bulb goes behind the harness and it's all good. Very secure

Man today, couldn't see shit. Got 8000k, i didn't know where the lines where on the road.

m0nk3y
20-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Id like to know a place IN THE ENGINE BAY, not under the headlight guys......

mikul_ha
20-08-2007, 10:52 AM
running 10k on my car, colour is blueish/white and not a problem here. when i first installed them i got alot of flashes from other ppl (also from a cop) on the other side of the road. probably thought i had my high beams on. after playing around with it and getting the direction of the light correct (more low to the ground), no more flashes lol

i have my ballasts in my engine bay as well, they are sitting on the far left and right of the engine bay. cant explain it but its sitting where the bonnet meets the fender and tucked in.

probably get them sitting under the headlight when i install my oil cooler

m0nk3y
20-08-2007, 11:12 AM
im trying to get my right hand ballast all the way to the far side of the engine bay, but the wires are only long enough to reach up to where the build plate is. i'll have to find somewhere to cable tie it to

philBo
20-08-2007, 02:20 PM
im trying to get my right hand ballast all the way to the far side of the engine bay, but the wires are only long enough to reach up to where the build plate is. i'll have to find somewhere to cable tie it to

as i said monkey. you should mount it properly. i'll help you find a way to do it this weekend. :)

m0nk3y
20-08-2007, 03:33 PM
haha we'll see mate, but i cbfed with remounting etc, i have other things to do in my time :)

EL_DC5
22-08-2007, 07:00 PM
MuSecret unit says made in Germany

http://www.all-creatures.org/ha/img/dead_monkey.jpg Poor monkey LOL

m0nk3y
01-09-2007, 09:21 PM
i was bored this afternoon and decided to look for another place for my passenger side ballast. Originally it was wedged in between the battery and the fusebox, now ive placed it under the battery mount, used some double sided tape, and cable tied it to the front bar. ghetto mod ftw!!

the lazy man's mod for HID ballasts if you dont want to take off the frontbar and have the ballasts under the headlight clusters

ill post some pics tomrow when theres more light :)

edit: managed to get some quick pics of my ghetto mods

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/2250/hondaintegra22nn9.jpg
Driver side ballast mounted on far left fender with double sided tape

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/16/hondaintegra21ba7.jpg
Passenger side ballast mounted with double sided tape and cable ties under the battery mount (see description in post)

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/5645/hondaintegra23dk7.jpg
original place where ballast used to be (wedged between battery and fuse box)

m0nk3y
05-09-2007, 04:34 PM
quick question for those with HIDs in a DC5, along some bumps on the road, my HIDs flicker a little. could this be the start of something worse?

a fwe days into my ghetto mod above, and its still good!

dark138
05-09-2007, 04:49 PM
mine started to flicker and then one of the ballast went dead, after two years though so its alrite. make sure the ballast aren't hitting things and connections are secure then its fine

XP02ED
05-09-2007, 04:56 PM
nice work, maybe i need to relocate mine. mines under the engine fuse box on the right and near the alternator on the other. its secure.. but if i hit a bump i would think it wont be secure! but its bolted on!

m0nk3y
05-09-2007, 09:36 PM
mine are secure, i only worry when there is rain etc.

heck, i put a towel over my ballasts when i wash the car lol

dark138
05-09-2007, 11:34 PM
the ballast now are pretty water tight. as long as you don't put the ballast in a tank of water it should be safe. my friend used sandwich bags and taped the ends so he can spray the engine bay at carlovers.

minircc
07-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Definitely go the white, the blue tinge looks too 'fast and furious' type.

Amusevtec
09-09-2007, 03:56 AM
quick question for those with HIDs in a DC5, along some bumps on the road, my HIDs flicker a little. could this be the start of something worse?

a fwe days into my ghetto mod above, and its still good!

Nope, mine don't flicker. Only when i first turn them on, and it only flicks once.

My headlights used to always blow with the regular bulbs every 2-3 weeks. Got really annoying. Since the HIDS it's been fine. 3 weeks into having my HIDS, my left headlight went out and I thought it blew again, but about half an hour later, it started flicking and it's alll goooott :D