PDA

View Full Version : head porting dc2r

Jomsy
08-06-2005, 04:20 PM
can anyone recommend a place in sydney that is knowledgeable in porting the head on my dc2r

also does the vafc2 provide enough adjustment to cope or will i need to upgrade to a power FC

Weq
08-06-2005, 08:38 PM
harries engines

ProECU
08-06-2005, 09:23 PM
DynoDave

EG5
08-06-2005, 09:41 PM
toda racing AU or IS motor racing

Fattony
09-06-2005, 01:38 PM
Why would you ever want to start ****ing around with one of the best 4cyls to ever come out of any factory. Honda enginneers spent uncountable dollars and man hours developing and testing the b18c5, which is part of the reason why you would have paid over 40k for a car that doesnt even have aircon. To even think that you would want to give the head for some1 to take to it with a die grinder or using an abrasive fluid to try and perfect in the time of a couple of hours on a bench what numerious enginners have spend 100s of hours developing is really a waste of money and u will prob make the car go backwards. Back in the days of shitty 2 valve per cyl cast heads porting did make a difference, but esp with hondas refined multi-valve heads there genrally would be little room for improvment and you would prob never ever see the day where you would make the motor outflow the potential of the head

TODA AU
09-06-2005, 04:10 PM
can anyone recommend a place in sydney that is knowledgeable in porting the head on my dc2r

also does the vafc2 provide enough adjustment to cope or will i need to upgrade to a power FC

Though I don't know the extent of your vehicles modification,
Please be aware that though power can be gained, cylinder head porting on a DC2R does not offer good to exellent gains for dollars spent.
The cylinder head is already mildly ported from the factory.
To see the full benifit of a well ported head, the engine needs to include a variety of other components.
That being camshafts, high compression pistons, intake, header exhaust etc...
The bang for bucks post I wrote some time ago covers this.
Further, head porting is best done when the engine is apart for a rebuilt or the cylinder head is off to change valve springs & fit camshafts.

Also, a VAFC does not have the tuning scope to bring the most out of an engine with a ported head.
You are much better off using a programable ECU such as the Power FC you mentioned.

Cheers

Adrian

TODA AU
09-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Why would you ever want to start ****ing around with one of the best 4cyls to ever come out of any factory. Honda enginneers spent uncountable dollars and man hours developing and testing the b18c5, which is part of the reason why you would have paid over 40k for a car that doesnt even have aircon. To even think that you would want to give the head for some1 to take to it with a die grinder or using an abrasive fluid to try and perfect in the time of a couple of hours on a bench what numerious enginners have spend 100s of hours developing is really a waste of money and u will prob make the car go backwards. Back in the days of shitty 2 valve per cyl cast heads porting did make a difference, but esp with hondas refined multi-valve heads there genrally would be little room for improvment and you would prob never ever see the day where you would make the motor outflow the potential of the head

Actually, there are gains to be had... (In some case considerable)
Though you are correct in saying if it's done wrong you could go backwards.
Experience is what counts getting it right certainly takes longer than a simple couple of hours on the bench having a hack.