PDA

View Full Version : brake master cylinder replacement?

itr224
08-06-2005, 05:40 PM
Hi guys
ive been having trouble with a friends eg civic vti,
when braking the pedal will be firm at the start then when u depress it some more it will sink all the way down to the floor of the car,
the brakes have been bled by a mechanic and i am pretty sure the mechanic would not have left any air bubbles in the brake lines.
Even after the brake bleed the problem is still there, i've searched this topic on the forums and it has led me to believe that the brake master clylinder might need replacment/overhaul... the car has done approx 184,000kms

i was just wondering if anyone would be able to tell me what signs should i be looking for to see if the brake master cylinder needs replacement,
thanks for the help guys :D

garett
08-06-2005, 06:45 PM
you have pretty much eliminated the airlock in the system, if he has bled it properly and there is no air you are right.

it sounds like the diaphragm in the master cylindar is shagged.

seihoa
08-06-2005, 06:58 PM
check for leaks near the master brake system.... i had the same prob a few months ago got a new one n prob was solved... cost me arnd $70 if i last remembered includin labour some azn mobile dude did it for me

**Ghost**
08-06-2005, 07:02 PM
if u have abs it will cost more i think

itr224
08-06-2005, 08:15 PM
check for leaks near the master brake system.... i had the same prob a few months ago got a new one n prob was solved... cost me arnd $70 if i last remembered includin labour some azn mobile dude did it for me

thanks for the info, you wouldnt happen to have the contact for the guy that fixed it for u? $70 seems cheap for a replacement master cylinder
thanks

**Ghost**
08-06-2005, 08:19 PM
reconditioned or replacement?| replacement usually costs 150 at least man...esp if u got ABS

garett
08-06-2005, 08:35 PM
i think he means he had a leak and had it fixed for $70

4thgeneCivic
08-06-2005, 10:10 PM
hey man..
get a new master cylinder...and the problem would be fixed..

PhatSol
09-06-2005, 12:48 AM
I asked the price for a genuine DC2 Vti-R ABS master cylinder a couple of weeks back, was $235.24 IIRC.

Vtec_inside
09-06-2005, 07:11 PM
best way to tell if ur brake master cylinder is stuff is to check for UFO in the brake fluid when u pump ur master cylinder or to see if brake fliud is pissin out of the master cylinder and surrounding area.

Also note when u bleed ur brake at first ur pedal feels a little spoonge then after about 1-2 day driving ur pedal wil get a little stiffer.

BSRacer
09-06-2005, 07:13 PM
I've had this done on my crx, and my missus had hers done on her ED not that long ago. I paid $150, she paid $300. So anywhere between those 2 should have it covered. Mechanic will prolly put a new or reconditioned one in as apparently it's as expensive to fix it as to replace it.

sesshoumaru
09-06-2005, 07:41 PM
look for brake fluid on the firewall pissing out from under the master cylinder...

it should be pretty obvious.:thumbsup:

seihoa
09-06-2005, 07:56 PM
wait hahah it wasnt $70 ... that was for something else my bad .... =P
i think it was 150+ or so * cant remember exactly*
but yea if u dont have the money he said u can jst replace the rubber that seals it ... its cheap but if the seal isnt the problem then ull waste more money into buyin a new seal it