PDA

View Full Version : what can i do to my teg? PLZ HELP!

vunibaka
28-01-2004, 02:58 PM
hi guys

i own a 94 Integra its GSI and its AUTO :cry: i know..but you cant say no if your olds buy it for you can you??

could you guys please give me some tips on improving its performance? is it possible on an auto?? the only thing it has is canon exhausts and thats basically it, apart from a kickass sound system.

my current bdget is $1500 at most, but in the near future i'd be more than happy to spend more.

any help/tips/advice would really be appreciated!

poweredbyhonda
28-01-2004, 03:14 PM
For $1500 you should focus on its looks. You wont get much gain in a GSI auto. If I were you, lower it and put some nice white powder coated 17" rims on it.
Nothing beats a clean & mean looking integra.

Boost
28-01-2004, 04:46 PM
come on dude, dont be too harsh. :)

A'PEXi
28-01-2004, 05:32 PM
i/h/e :P

Rowie
28-01-2004, 07:09 PM
you could get an exhaust and headers for 1500 easy.....

dcii_sir
01-02-2004, 12:45 PM
hi guys

i own a 94 Integra its GSI and its AUTO :cry: i know..but you cant say no if your olds buy it for you can you??

could you guys please give me some tips on improving its performance? is it possible on an auto?? the only thing it has is canon exhausts and thats basically it, apart from a kickass sound system.

my current bdget is $1500 at most, but in the near future i'd be more than happy to spend more.

Save enough money, sell the car and get a vtir.. :D Sorry for being harsh but I reckon if its an Auto, there isnt much point in modifying .. ppl can tell its an auto when u accelerate off.. so if u got huge mags, exhaust.. etc etc.. some ppl will go.. "WTF, its only AUTO" .. But if you really really love you car, go ahead and do it I guess.. but take off the GSi badge.. then again.. ppl will know integra vtir in aus does not come in auto..

joneblaze
01-02-2004, 09:59 PM
hi guys

Save enough money, sell the car and get a vtir.. :D Sorry for being harsh but I reckon if its an Auto, there isnt much point in modifying .. ppl can tell its an auto when u accelerate off.. so if u got huge mags, exhaust.. etc etc.. some ppl will go.. "WTF, its only AUTO" .. But if you really really love you car, go ahead and do it I guess.. but take off the GSi badge.. then again.. ppl will know integra vtir in aus does not come in auto..
C'mon dude... that's a little harsh... no need to bandy words around like that.
This guy's asking for help regarding HIS ride, he's got it, he owns it, and that's the way it is. He wants help modifying this particular auto GSi, so why don't you help him out? I'm sure we could all tell each other to upgrade our car, but 90% of the time finances/situation isn't going to let that happen.

Vunibaka, as others have said mate, a basic Intake (air intake, eg. pod filter in stock airbox + some "cold intake piping")/Headers/Exhaust (not just a cannon muffler, but perhaps some decent larger diameter catback piping with possibly a high flow cat to enable your car to "breathe" better) would be a decent starting point. I'm sure you realise the Auto tranny isn't a strong point at all, so you won't be able to get alot out of it. But if you're sticking to this GSi then do abit of research/reading on relevant sites and go from there. :)

jon.

PS: BTW, what's so wrong with the GSi badge? B18B FRAME J00 :P!!!
(lol...j/k)

tanghy
02-02-2004, 12:43 AM
sell the car and get a vtir
don't waste money on the auto

vti-2
02-02-2004, 12:41 PM

:thumbsup:

Tofu
02-02-2004, 02:17 PM
is the dc5 auto a waste too?

joneblaze
02-02-2004, 02:31 PM

:thumbsup:
... that's pretty wrong coming from a "moderate"tor.....
The thread title was "what can i do to my teg? PLZ HELP!".... not "PLease be slack and hassle my car or give me suggestions which aren't feasible"....
I've seen you flame others for suggesting less Vti-2.... if i could be bothered justifying the time i'd search thru the threads and give u a few examples........what's the go bro? :roll:

vti-2
02-02-2004, 02:47 PM
There's no need to get worked up over what we've said. Want me to justify my reply? Even though i don't have to here it is.

Firstly, this is the a quote from the originator.

Originally posted by vunibaka:

The VTi-R has the better engine/drivetrain package which immediately places it leagues ahead of the Gsi. The VTi-R also comes with better suspension components and has disc brakes all round with ABS (not sure what the Gsi has). The VTi-R is far better equiped inside as well, with full electrics, sunroof, airbag blah blah.

If you want performance, bottom line is the VTi-R is so much better than the Gsi is ain't funny. Not to forget the fact it is manual.

Anyway, i was not bagging what he has, just stating the truth. If you want performance, get the better base to work on.

Even if you did a few mods to the Gsi (i.e. I/H/E) the auto will only hold up so much before it shits itself.

joneblaze
02-02-2004, 03:05 PM
There's no need to get worked up over what we've said. Want me to justify my reply? Even though i don't have to here it is.

The VTi-R has the better engine/drivetrain package which immediately places it leagues ahead of the Gsi. The VTi-R also comes with better suspension components and has disc brakes all round with ABS (not sure what the Gsi has). The VTi-R is far better equiped inside as well, with full electrics, sunroof, airbag blah blah.

If you want performance, bottom line is the VTi-R is so much better than the Gsi is ain't funny. Not to forget the fact it is manual.

Anyway, i was not bagging what he has, just stating the truth. If you want performance, get the better base to work on.

Even if you did a few mods to the Gsi (i.e. I/H/E) the auto will only hold up so much before it shits itself.

Hehe.. worked up? nah, not worked up. Just amused at double standards. :)
I thought we're here to "help each other out, work with wat we have, blah blah blah"....

And yes, u SHOULD "have" to justify ur previous post, because from where i'm standing it seems like there's a fair bit of hyprocrisy on ur part.
Firstly, AFAIK the GSi and VTiR share the SAME suspension and handling components. Both carry the same 14mm rear swaybars, and brakes are also identical.

The GSi has a grey velour-like interior compared to the VTiR's BLACK velour-like interior, however both cars have SRS driver's airbag, sunroof and full power options. So basically you're paying more cash for the B18C engine and the ABS system (let's not forget the mighty VTiR sticker).

Either way, Vunibaka OWNS a GSi... he/she wants to IMPROVE the performance of the forementioned car, not own a car with GREAT performance. There's a difference in that. By you giving the GSi shit, you're not helping this thread go anywhere. An s2k owner could amble along and tell you to lose your VtiR and buy an S2000 for "improved performance".... but how likely is that to happen? after all Vic.... "If you want performance, get the better base to work on" ....pfft. I refuse to believe there's nothing that can be recommended to assist this person in IMPROVING his/her car's performance.

:roll:

tofu R
02-02-2004, 03:07 PM
mate its obvious that the vtir is better .. or else honda would not have of released it ..
OBVIOUSLY ..

the guy already admitted its not the best of cars .. y flame him for ??
im sure u can get a bit of performance outta anycar with modification ..
even though it is na and non vtec .. it still has bottle necks ..
maybe even the best modification he can do with 1500 is get a manual tranny swap ..
nfi how much they cost ..

and he could even go all out NA later on in life and add a vtec head etc ..

anything is possible .. and i have many recommendations .. but not to turbo charge a perfectly fine honda engine like some....

vti-2
02-02-2004, 04:35 PM

Hehe.. worked up? nah, not worked up. Just amused at double standards. :)
I thought we're here to "help each other out, work with wat we have, blah blah blah"....

And yes, u SHOULD "have" to justify ur previous post, because from where i'm standing it seems like there's a fair bit of hyprocrisy on ur part.
Firstly, AFAIK the GSi and VTiR share the SAME suspension and handling components. Both carry the same 14mm rear swaybars, and brakes are also identical.

The GSi has a grey velour-like interior compared to the VTiR's BLACK velour-like interior, however both cars have SRS driver's airbag, sunroof and full power options. So basically you're paying more cash for the B18C engine and the ABS system (let's not forget the mighty VTiR sticker).

Either way, Vunibaka OWNS a GSi... he/she wants to IMPROVE the performance of the forementioned car, not own a car with GREAT performance. There's a difference in that. By you giving the GSi shit, you're not helping this thread go anywhere. An s2k owner could amble along and tell you to lose your VtiR and buy an S2000 for "improved performance".... but how likely is that to happen? after all Vic.... "If you want performance, get the better base to work on" ....pfft. I refuse to believe there's nothing that can be recommended to assist this person in IMPROVING his/her car's performance.

:roll:

I don't have to justify myself to you. Plain and simple. If you don't like it, stiff **** for you.

In terms of hypocrisy, please elaborate. Your starting to lose me here, i have no idea what you are refering to.

My original reply in this thread gave the thumbsup to a fairly straight forward post. The originator of this thread hasn't been nasty about the replies and i haven't received PM's yet from him/her so i still fail to see where i have actually contributed in a negative way.

Do you have a Gsi joneblaze? Is there a reason you are so anal about my replies here?

Rather than diverge from this thread further, please feel free to PM me regarding any issues you wish to discuss.

And i'm still trying to find the suggestion in this thread that tells vunibaka to ditch the Gsi and buy an S2K.

madgrk
02-02-2004, 04:38 PM
Back on topic - Just change to manual and you will notice a better driving ability in the car straight away. If you dont want a manual, get a nice torque converter (if you can for a honda) and that'll make your shifts a bit nicer :)

vunibaka
02-02-2004, 08:09 PM
how much would it cost to change to manual and for the torque converter??

tofu R
02-02-2004, 08:10 PM
where r u located dude?

vunibaka
02-02-2004, 08:21 PM
i'm in nsw

btw selling my car and getting a vti-r for 'improved performance' is not really something i can do in the near future. it was a (surprise) present from my folks and i dont think they really cared about performance when they bought me a teggy -- my childhood fascination with integras must have contributed though... (posters etc.)

anyway i'm interested in getting a pod filter so far (with a custom/hidden box -- seeing that cops are targeting honda drivers with pod filters), and getting the full exhaust done...i'm told it shouldnt cost more than 500 all up for those mods...however i'm really interested now in getting the car converted into manual and eventually getting a vtec head later on..but at the moment i dont really have the type of cash to get all that done..

it has a lot of sentimental value, especially after my hard-earned$$'s laser's engine f0oked up in the middle of the m5 tunnel...nearly died that day!

joneblaze
02-02-2004, 08:44 PM
Sounds like a good start Vunibaka... good luck with it. Come along to a meet sometime and say hi to everyone. :)

Vti-2 i'm not going to waste time PMing back and forth. Anything i had on my mind i've spelt out quite clearly in my previous (public) posts. If you didn't understand the issues I raised then that's clearly your problem.
Btw, i do own a GSi :), but that really has nothing to do with my amusement at the things you say.
Maybe it's time to "lock this thread up?".... "the question has been answered?"... lol...

jon

dcii_sir
02-02-2004, 08:48 PM
i'm in nsw

btw selling my car and getting a vti-r for 'improved performance' is not really something i can do in the near future. it was a (surprise) present from my folks and i dont think they really cared about performance when they bought me a teggy -- my childhood fascination with integras must have contributed though... (posters etc.)

anyway i'm interested in getting a pod filter so far (with a custom/hidden box -- seeing that cops are targeting honda drivers with pod filters), and getting the full exhaust done...i'm told it shouldnt cost more than 500 all up for those mods...however i'm really interested now in getting the car converted into manual and eventually getting a vtec head later on..but at the moment i dont really have the type of cash to get all that done..

it has a lot of sentimental value, especially after my hard-earned$$'s laser's engine f0oked up in the middle of the m5 tunnel...nearly died that day!

I think pod filters are actually legal.. in Victoria anyway. The cops reckon its illegal but vicroads say its fine. Last time I got canaried for having a pod filter and loud exhaust, i went to vic roads and they dude there told me that cops are "idiots". He was saying cops are giving vicroads a headache by sending legal cars to be checked.. :D Anyway, I would $500 should be enough. Muffler = $150 bucks.. Piping from cat back = $150 - $200 (depending where u go). Cheers and good luck with the car bro..

madgrk
02-02-2004, 08:50 PM
Torque convertors are only for autos my friend, but if you can get one for a Honda i'm sure they'd be a couple of hundred bucks (someone correct if i'm wrong please). I'm not sure about prices but yeah..

If you wanted a manual, you'd benefit greatly from a 5spd with a nice short shift kit. That way you can change gears whenever you feel your speeding too much hehe :)

As for other mods that are cheap and useful, try the old Headers and Exhaust like some others have said. Theyre always useful on a car. They'll help your car "exhale" a little better, which is good for a bit more power. Beware of cheap imitations though, from reading on this site some people have bought them and been unimpressed. Ask around, never hurts to have some second opinions :)

theo

luzinit
02-02-2004, 08:55 PM
we need a 'moderator' moderator in here :P

Rowie
02-02-2004, 09:11 PM
keep it on topic guys and help vunibaka with his question. no point arguing until your fingers are blue to the tips :D

start another debate thread if you want to continue, and go from there. Keep it out of this thread.

vti-2
02-02-2004, 09:14 PM
Sounds like a good start Vunibaka... good luck with it. Come along to a meet sometime and say hi to everyone. :)

Vti-2 i'm not going to waste time PMing back and forth. Anything i had on my mind i've spelt out quite clearly in my previous (public) posts. If you didn't understand the issues I raised then that's clearly your problem.
Btw, i do own a GSi :), but that really has nothing to do with my amusement at the things you say.
Maybe it's time to "lock this thread up?".... "the question has been answered?"... lol...

jon

joneblaze - what issues have you raised apart from being a negative ***** and making personal attacks?

I don't find that reply above amusing. Save the personal attacks to PM's in future. You are obviously being an arsehole about this issue now and there's no need for that.

Being a moderator doesn't mean i'm not entitled to making my own opinions. At no stage have i contributed negatively to this post. You clearly have.

luzinit - nice one. :D

vunibaka - good luck on your quest.