PDA

View Full Version : Need help.. Esp. from Benjammin??

crxzzR
09-06-2005, 08:37 PM
hi guys..
just got my shocks.. bilsteins yellow
planning to install myself on saturday

i just opened up the boxes and i noticed one thing of concern!
my front shocks that i bought look fine to fit straight in..
but the rear shocks don't have an eyelet.. it's got like an open end like a 'C'
now my main worry is... can i use the original round mounting bush in this 'C' joint???
or do i have to get a bush that fits onto it correctly???

p.s. plz excuse me if this has been mentioned before..
btw the car is an 88 CRX ED9 putting these shocks in with eibach springs of whom i picked up from hanson... workmate of mine

crxzzR
09-06-2005, 10:01 PM
!bump

KB
09-06-2005, 10:13 PM
So im assuming your rear LCAs (Lower Control Arm) is of the hollow type where the rear shock fits inside? THe U shaped bottom of your shock suggests its ment for different LCA's the skinny type that the shock fits around.

KB
09-06-2005, 10:20 PM
2 choices, get the shock that was ment for your car or Goto wreakers and swap your rear LCA's for skinnyer ones.

bennjamin
09-06-2005, 10:59 PM
hi guys..
just got my shocks.. bilsteins yellow
planning to install myself on saturday

i just opened up the boxes and i noticed one thing of concern!
my front shocks that i bought look fine to fit straight in..
but the rear shocks don't have an eyelet.. it's got like an open end like a 'C'
now my main worry is... can i use the original round mounting bush in this 'C' joint???
or do i have to get a bush that fits onto it correctly???

p.s. plz excuse me if this has been mentioned before..
btw the car is an 88 CRX ED9 putting these shocks in with eibach springs of whom i picked up from hanson... workmate of mine

the rear shocks SHOULD have a "fork" ( or C as you describe) - which slides over the rear lower control arm.

Here is a dodgy 1 min picture i drew to explain abit more...

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=500/79shock.JPG

Does your rear shock look similar ? The rear should have a "fork" design, to sit ontop of the lower control arm , and a large bolt goes thru to hold it.

Otherwise , some rear designs have a "bush" setup , which sits inside the lower control arm - and the botl goes thru.

PM me mate if u need help - i live in Sydney too and can install for u cheap if u need a hand :)

crxzzR
09-06-2005, 11:19 PM
well looks like my current rear shock[stock] has a bush in the middle of the eyelet..

I probably didnt mention it too clearly.. but the original shock has an eyelet..
But the bilstein has a fork..
Eitherway i'll go back to where i got the shocks from.. see if they have a Bush which can fit with the fork.. or just get the right one with the eyelet..

crxzzR
09-06-2005, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the offer bennjamin, but this is something i gotta do myself..
taking it into my workshop [where hanson works] this sat and just gonna give it a shot..
i've got the workshop manual anyway if i get stuck...

crxzzR
09-06-2005, 11:23 PM
p.s. Which would be better to use.. the hollow LCA's or the skinnier LCA's?

bennjamin
10-06-2005, 12:05 AM
p.s. Which would be better to use.. the hollow LCA's or the skinnier LCA's?

Same thing - jsut one is JDM and the other is AUDM spec ( similar to later honda's i suspect)

You can pick up some ED LCA's at a wrecker to suit your rear bilsteins im sure. Ask in our WTB section ! !

crxzzR
10-06-2005, 12:15 AM
nah can't be screwed..
i live near sydney shocks anyway.. so pop in there then head off to work for installation

saxman
10-06-2005, 04:20 AM
not quite the same... the design of the rear eyelet lca allows for slightly more oversteer in the car than the the fork type. (I presume due to the angle of the shock or something similar)

For reference sake, the 88 crx's have this design, along with the jdm del sol and the integra type r(probably some other random jdm models as well). The prelude uses it as well I believe.