PDA

View Full Version : [Euro] Problem with IceBox - HELP

ericjaii
10-06-2005, 02:11 AM
I bought from the guy from ebay posted in the forum.

However, the bracket I got was L-shaped (impossible to slide it under the metal round piece when putting the bracket at the point on the side on the instructions). I try get a photo of it soon....

Basically in the instruction it appears the bracket should be U-shaped?

Atm, the air intake is secured using tapes, and tying around the L-shaped bracket... which seems to be secure enough... but... I really think I got the wrong part... unless... someone can tell me how I can install it properly with a L-shaped bracket

I am going to message the seller with a photo asap.

Just wondering if I am really unlucky... :(

EuroAccord13
10-06-2005, 04:09 AM
From memory while doing Yfin's IceBox, it is an L-Shaped bracket but the part that holds the air intake pipe is curved for the circular pipe and then held together with the supplied tighteners.....

yfin
10-06-2005, 08:17 AM
Sounds like there is nothing wrong with what you recieved from the seller
Post up the pics here - I am sure you are putting the bracket the wrong way around.

Have you looked at the colour instructions on the net - easier to see the install. See photo marked "D" on page 2 below.

It is as simple as that. You can see it is L shape in the photo with a little twist where it connects to the firewall.

http://www.comptechusa.com/instructions/TSX_icebox2005.pdf

ericjaii
10-06-2005, 03:21 PM
thats what I mean... where the metal is bent at the bolt end.. it isnt for mine.... so if I attached per picture... in photo D... I will not be able to bolt the piece on...

i just hv a piece of bracket thats 90 degrees to each other....

Peekay34
10-06-2005, 03:33 PM
You will have to contact the reseller of your Comptech intake and ask them for the correct bracket.

Tobster
10-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Just looking at the instructions there, I didn't realise that the Icebox used the original airbox base. That's a little disappointing. Ideally, what you really want to do is enlarge the airbox inlet so that the inlet pipe doesn't need to be reduced in diameter.
Filters make bugger all difference and the resonator shouldn't really restrict intake and just stop engine noise. So you've got to conclude that any gains are mainly due to a bigger inlet opening and a better location to suck in cooler air... ?????

Tobster
10-06-2005, 05:13 PM
In fact, thinking about this more, a cheap version of the Icebox -- for those that want to play at home -- would be to enlarge the inlet opening in the factory airbox, and plum a big inlet pipe to behind the front bumper with a bell mouth (or two?)...
Of course, there's no manufacturer's warranty and that sort of mod really might void your Honda warranty!

albii
10-06-2005, 07:53 PM
In fact, thinking about this more, a cheap version of the Icebox -- for those that want to play at home -- would be to enlarge the inlet opening in the factory airbox, and plum a big inlet pipe to behind the front bumper with a bell mouth (or two?)...
Of course, there's no manufacturer's warranty and that sort of mod really might void your Honda warranty!
exactly...thats why i have ordered the k and n panel filter then iam going to mod the stock box....pretty dissappointing that the comptech icebox comes with a foam filter too.I have also seen the gains with the icebox and they are about 5hp..big deal..should be able to get more than that with the k and n and cold air feed on stock box....cheaper too

Peekay34
10-06-2005, 08:14 PM
The ICEBOX lid is bigger that stock and also has a fluted design on the inside of it as well as a fluted design inlet. Totally different to the Stock Box.

ericjaii
10-06-2005, 11:25 PM
The guy is on holiday... -.-"

albii
11-06-2005, 07:47 AM
The ICEBOX lid is bigger that stock and also has a fluted design on the inside of it as well as a fluted design inlet. Totally different to the Stock Box.
come on...the gains on a icebox wouldnt be any diff to a proper cold air feed on the stock box and i will run the k and n filter too.

baboo
11-06-2005, 09:59 AM
come on...the gains on a icebox wouldnt be any diff to a proper cold air feed on the stock box and i will run the k and n filter too.

Albii, the difference is noticable. With the ICEBOX the engine pulls alot smoother & stronger on high rpm.

ericjaii
11-06-2005, 11:02 AM
Albii, the difference is noticable. With the ICEBOX the engine pulls alot smoother & stronger on high rpm.

not to mention... the sound is alot better when u accelerate hard =)

sounds as if the engine is more willing!!

I can see my petrol refill becoming mroe frequent..:(

still need the correct bracket!! grrrr

Ronin
11-06-2005, 11:10 AM
Anyway just FYI - i've where the fog light covers are, I've drilled several holles into the groves of the plastic. Thus way i'm getting maximum flow through to the intake.

But it also means that more water gets in - but so far no probs.

ericjaii
11-06-2005, 02:06 PM
i hv fog light.. =) cant drill holes

Chris_F
11-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Ronin, not a bad idea - have you thought of cutting out the entire groove then putting a black or silver mesh behind it? might be able to get even more air flowin through to the intake

Ronin
11-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Will if you drill holes, you can't actually see them. Mesh is not a bad though. Just too lazy to work out how to stick it on.

EuroAccord13
11-06-2005, 03:07 PM
This is what I did to mine when I did my Intake....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/EuroAccord13/EuroAccord/DIY_Inlet.jpg

albii
11-06-2005, 04:18 PM
This is what I did to mine when I did my Intake....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/EuroAccord13/EuroAccord/DIY_Inlet.jpg
yeah thats what iam thinking of doing ...very discreet

yfin
11-06-2005, 08:10 PM

The larger volume box makes a big difference IMO as well as the massive horn. Sure you can build your own intake if you want but you are not going to get the fit and finish of the Icebox. You will also retain the stock box lid which means the box volume remains the same.

I was quite scepitcal about the icebox until I tried it. 5hp at the wheels - maybe that is what the dyno says but that doesn't quantify part throttle responsiveness and off idle response. Punch the throttle with the Icebox and the power is there faster - not just more - it arrives faster.

Also - what is the problem with foam filters? Someone fill me in please - I thought foam was fine.

Ronin
12-06-2005, 11:24 AM
From reading i the surface area is less than paper - because paper is folded and has the groves.

I'm not sure which has beter air flow though.

blkeuro
12-06-2005, 12:13 PM
No, the problem is that foam filters don't filter as effectively as the other types like paper and the wire gauze (eg K&N style). Will try and look for the site that I read a while back that stipulates this...

Peekay34
12-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Sorry mate totaly disagree I have an ITG filter which is foam based filter K&N is 80 pcm where the ITG is 60 pcm, so the filter breathes much better as there is hardly any restriction, and based on their design actually filters better. I have tested both the K&N and ITG side by side and for responsiveness the ITG wins hands down. I had a K&N in my last car I could only chirp the wheels in 1st and second with the ITG I was chirping all they way to fourth, also loosing traction in some instances which never happened with the K&N. I will stick with my foam filter thanks.

blkeuro
13-06-2005, 07:23 PM
I never said anything about the foam filter breathing less than a K&N style..I just said that from what Ive read it doesn't filter as good.. In fact it would make sense that the foam filter provide better performance since it lets more airflow through than the K&N style, thus also supporting the idea that it doesn't filter as good. I currently have the icebox (with foam filter) in my euro and love it, but am merely stating the results of an independent study which I have read. Its unfortunate I cannot locate the document/article right now...
On my previous cars Ive had the K&N style as well, and if I had to choose both I would go foam..

EuroAccord13
13-06-2005, 11:03 PM
This thread is about EricJaii's problem with install his icebox and not about what type of filters are the best. If you like to discuss this, please search or start a new thread about Mesh Vs. Foam filters in the Technical section of the forum.

CHEERS