PDA

View Full Version : has anyone?

garett
10-06-2005, 04:43 PM
hey guys i know this will sound weird but when i jack my car up at home i cant get under it properly to change the oil filter, however when the car is not jacked up i can reach the filter from the top of the engine bay,

so my question is: if i open the bonnet, the car is cold and stationary and i remove the oil filter without dumping the oil first will a heap of oil piss onto the floor before i jack the civic up to undo the sump plug. i am aware that the filter will have oil in it but i figured because the oil filter is half way up the block that it would not piss out as it will be lower down in the sump.?

1 open bonnet- remove oil filter (car hasnt been driven & is cold)

2 jack car up- remove sump plug and drain oil, replace sump plug

3 lower car- put new oil filter on

4 fill with oil

can it be done?

BSRacer
10-06-2005, 05:39 PM
I'm pretty sure oil will just piss out, even if it's not heaps it'll still make a hell of a mess. You can't get a pan to catch the oil out of the sump under the car without jacking it?

CTR Coupe
10-06-2005, 07:27 PM
1. it will piss out.
2. dont remove your filter before emptying the sump.
3. warm up your car before dropping your oil.

garett
10-06-2005, 07:48 PM
ok... i just figured it wouldnt due to it being high up compared to the sump.

Steer^Gimic
10-06-2005, 08:30 PM
g man, plino the great informed me on this. the filter is useless until the oil pump is on. which means, while the cars off, nothing is pushing oil into the filter. it can come off while the car is full of oil. you may just get a drop or two.

garett
10-06-2005, 08:37 PM
thats what i thought, i cant fit my fat arm up there to get it off when im laying down under the car, maybe ill just get plus to change my oil and filter every 5000, cos i can just reach it from the back when the car is on the ground

SiR JDM
11-06-2005, 04:55 AM
Garret bro..

I dont understand why you dont just jack it up. Take out the sump and let it drain. Then do the filter (conventional method). Its not that much difference once its jacked to get the filter off from the top, I did it.. on that exact car (suprise suprise ;) ). If it is a real issue jacked, slowly let it down take off the filter while its finished/almost finished draining?

Just seems like your making things difficult for yourself! haha

SpOOn-FED
11-06-2005, 11:45 AM
hehehe didnt u hear him manz d dudes big boned
im prety sure he has tried that but just cant reach it....
but yer SiR JDM has a point i think you should just stick to the conventional method
its easier and much more direct....
if your still having problems just aska friend to help u with it
ders no shame in asking for a helping hand manz...............

garett
11-06-2005, 01:41 PM
just for the record i am plenty capable of changing oil and filter, i just cant simply reach it ( damn my ripped arms ) i need a skinny slave to help me

garett
14-06-2005, 11:30 AM
i just changed the oil the conventional way (dump oil first, then change filter) due to not being able to fit a oil filter wrench in there i just wore a rubber glove to get a good grip and was easy.

Steer^Gimic
14-06-2005, 06:29 PM
yeh you like the rubber glove dont you.

garett
15-06-2005, 05:32 PM
jp i keep rubber gloves in my front pocket when i see you. oh yeah

wynode
15-06-2005, 11:46 PM
Oil will drip out of the filter even if you empty the sump.