PDA

View Full Version : stainless steel pipe size?

steve
10-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Went to my local exhaust shop today, which have abit of a rep in newcastle, and asked 4 a quote 4 a 2.25 mandrel bent stainless steel catback, straight off i was told that stainless doesn't come in 2.25, n i was like wtf? Isn't all good quality jap catbacks 4 b16 2.25 ss mandrel bent?
Any way they told me they could do it in mild steel which worked out to be $380 minus muffler.
Wot are the benefits of ss compared to mild steel, apart from rust prevention?

Is the $380 quoted abit on the rich side?

Oh n has ne1 heard of the magic cat? spose to flow just aswell as the pipe itself? ne comments?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

saxman
10-06-2005, 08:33 PM
mild steel is quite a bit heavier than stainless

hey look, 2.25" stainless tubing
http://www.kteller.com/store/product_info.php/products_id/678

garett
10-06-2005, 08:50 PM
yeh maybe he just meant that his shop doesnt have 2 1/4 or they cant get it or something because i have had stainless 2 /14 custom piping done before. 380 does seem a bit $$$ get a few quotes and take it from there, i havent heard of that cat brand but i have heard of 'SUPERCAT' which isnt too bad

steve
11-06-2005, 09:59 AM
Hmm i might do sum shoppin around, i asked bout weight difference n they said theres bugger all difference?

Ne way thanks guys:thumbsup:

sivic
11-06-2005, 08:24 PM
stainless steel is heavier

saxman
15-06-2005, 02:39 PM
since when?

wlee2
15-06-2005, 03:03 PM

i actually would have though very simmilar actually.. because stainless steel uses cromium as part of it to make it stainless mild steal is just Iron and carbon..

they both hold same properties except one does not rust.

i dont actually know if one is heavier or not but they way i think about it it would sound heavier.. since it does hold one extra element mixed in.

and theres apparently alot of different grades of steel mild and stainless outthere.. some denser than others..

wlee2
15-06-2005, 03:25 PM
umm just to correct everyone.. stainless is heavier.. but its heavier in density not weight

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2004/KarenSutherland.shtml

thats a link to someone that wrote out the densities of some of them
the they are worked out in g/cm3

so if your comparing 1cm3 of mild steel vs 1cm3 of stainless the stainless will be like 8.03-7.85 which is whatever..

8.03 is the Stainless 18Cr-8Ni i think thats stainless steel =P
and the 7.85 is mild i duno though but at the end of the page the said its heavier

i quote
"The varying amounts of carbon, amongst other elements in each of the types of steel create a variety in densities or specific gravities. (Specific gravity or relative density is the ratio of a material's density to that of water.)

Stainless steels are the most dense, coming in at 8000 kg/m3. Though the densities vary, the density of steel is about 7700 kg/m3. The density of steel are measured in g/cm3, kg/m3, kg/L and lb/f3, with kg/m3 being the more commonly used measurement. A good way to remember the density of steel is to remember that titanium has about half the density of steel and aluminum is about one-third. If you can remember that, then you know what you're doing!"

Monica M. -- 2004

my point been that an exhaust made of mild steel can be heavier.. than one using stainless steel if they use less materials.. but in terms of physics their densities mild steel is lighter per cm3

just before any noob says the denser the material the stronger ima going to point to 2 of the denses materials i know and u tell me if they are strong or not . one is pure gold and the other is lead.

<sloth>
15-06-2005, 03:43 PM
'baxter, u no i dont speak spanish in english please!'

just read the above post and now my head hurts :(

Limbo
15-06-2005, 05:27 PM
Stainless steel is light in WEIGHT than mild steel (i had both in my hands at a time), when they make the pipes out of them and i'm sure that is what everyone else is talking about other than some physics terms that i can't make out. Anyway you can get stainless steel in any size, just depends on the place that make it. I know i've seen stainless steel plumbling done on an intercooler in that size.

Only thing that you might not like about stainless steel is the noise it makes as an exhaust. It makes an awful lot of vibration noise ever. Sounds like a tin can noise, tinging alot especially when reved hard. I saw one on a DC5r and it was funny.

wlee2
15-06-2005, 05:40 PM
ok someone obviously did not read my post.. whats heavier 1cm3 of stainless steel or 1cm3 of mild steel? i said in my post that its the quantity of the material used..

if someone used the same amount of stainless as they did mild steel to make the same exhaust the mild one will be lighter.

if you use less material in the stainless than you do in the mild ofcourse the stainless will be lighter its like which is lighter 1kg of feathers or 1kg of lead?