PDA

View Full Version : Civic vs Prelude

02ZZI
10-06-2005, 10:08 PM
Hello
I am considering about trading my civic for a 98 vti-r prelude. I just want to know whats the preformance of these like i have been in my friends 98 vti-r 4 speed trip-tronic, however whats the difference between this and a 5 speed manual? what are your guys thoughts? if i got a prelude the car would only be built for straightline. where as my civic is a cxi so its crappy non sohc non vtec (but still beats all my friends except for eul55). I also havent had a chance to race the prelude but i dont want to because i am guessing it would whoop my ass comprehensively!
Just let me know what you think about the prelude or if this in the wrong section can the mods please move it!

barefootbonzai
10-06-2005, 10:14 PM
Gees your friends must have some slow cars. I just brought a cxi hatch, and dam it's slow. Guess i'm just not use to it yet. But don't get an auto prelude. That's just a waste.

02ZZI
10-06-2005, 11:25 PM
yeah i could never go a prelude. haha my friends cars comprise of- accent, kia rio, ford laser, neon, pulsar, corrolla, pug 206, these are my close friends...

wynode
10-06-2005, 11:39 PM
2 totatlly different cars

NFI.COM what you want us to tell you.

Perry
11-06-2005, 12:20 AM
well jumping from non-vtec tto vtec u will love it,

Mugen_B16B
11-06-2005, 01:12 AM
i driven a vtir prelude and there not as good as i thought but the vtec is what u want right so vtec it is

SpOOn-FED
11-06-2005, 10:58 AM
hrrrmmm cxi.....thats cars a good getting round car
but yeh the prelude very good choice 150klw alredy manz dont take it on saves u the shame...
but good choice on the prelude ....iv heard from a number of people that the tiptronic is faster than the manual im not too sure bout that because iv only driven the manual but seems possible if i were you jus test drive and see which one u like better
youl never know until u try it.......

industrie
11-06-2005, 11:12 AM
the prelude VTIR is a great car...its a luxury sports car..similar to the new Type S integra...yes its heavy but alot of torque..it is hard to find a manual one..but tiptronic is fine as well for cruising...147kw is about the power output...and yes it pulls the chics :D

wynode
11-06-2005, 11:24 AM
Prelude is NOT 150kW

SpOOn-FED
11-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Prelude is NOT 150kW

woops my bad
i was close though.....

Da1nONLY
11-06-2005, 02:53 PM
i driven a vtir prelude and there not as good as i thought but the vtec is what u want right so vtec it is

When the car is launched properly, it'll keep up with a Type R.
You'll be surprised how it'll stick to it.

Da1nONLY
11-06-2005, 02:56 PM
hrrrmmm cxi.....thats cars a good getting round car
but yeh the prelude very good choice 150klw alredy manz dont take it on saves u the shame...
but good choice on the prelude ....iv heard from a number of people that the tiptronic is faster than the manual im not too sure bout that because iv only driven the manual but seems possible if i were you jus test drive and see which one u like better
youl never know until u try it.......

And no, tiptronic is not faster than the manual. no way it is.
my friends Astra beat a tiptronic "VTiR" prelude pretty easy.
Manual shits all over tiptronic.

wynode
11-06-2005, 07:02 PM
my friends Astra beat a tiptronic "VTiR" prelude pretty easy.

Which model Astra? Only the SRi would come anywhere close.

My Si can keep up with (IE be level with) a tiptronic 5th gen vti-r but after around 65km/h its all over.

industrie
11-06-2005, 07:22 PM
hes right about the prelude VTIR keeping up with a TYPE R if launced properly...ive seen it happen..

rakfint
12-06-2005, 11:45 AM
yeah i could never go a prelude. haha my friends cars comprise of- accent, kia rio, ford laser, neon, pulsar, corrolla, pug 206, these are my close friends...

Yer.. my CXI would eat those too.. Alot of it comes down to driver.. I push my civic till it won't push any further... does suprisingly well... but i'm sure ready for something faster..

I also am / was considering a prelude.. but more a 96 model. I doubt you'd be dissapointed coming from the civic...

:honda:

redliner
12-06-2005, 11:57 AM
hes right about the prelude VTIR keeping up with a TYPE R if launced properly...ive seen it happen..

Yes i seen it too

clikz
12-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Well I drove my friends manual Prelude vtir and the torque compared to my car (d16y4) was LOADS better
car pulled better and its a nice luxury car and the handling was decent :)
and the vtec and acceleration was considerably noticeable compared to my car
But then ive always had a thing for those preludes anyway so i mite be a bit bias haha :D

ROLLED
05-10-2005, 10:54 PM
the prelude VTIR is a great car...its a luxury sports car..similar to the new Type S integra...yes its heavy but alot of torque..it is hard to find a manual one..but tiptronic is fine as well for cruising...147kw is about the power output...and yes it pulls the chics :D

yeah only problem with that is they are most likely just using you for lifts home so they dont have to pay cab fares mate :o

industrie is right though, if you want a cruisy car get a prelude, if you want performance look at DC2Rs :thumbsup: which are around the same price...and auto is bloody boring to drive, you'll regret buying one... :thumbdwn:

I dont see how the Type S integra is similar to the prelude? how is a prelude luxury? most of them dont even have leather interiors, given they have heaps of leg room upfront though...but seriously...luxury??

samsider
05-10-2005, 11:30 PM
get a del sol

BLKEM1
06-10-2005, 12:11 AM
97+ Prelude is ugly with no lips & skirts....

No offence to Prelude drivers :D

taizon
06-10-2005, 09:46 AM
the prelude is a very nice car.. if done up properly..
ive seen some very ugly ones too.

performance wise.. ive seen a prelude vtir take on a fairly stock s15, and was in front all the way from a stand still as well as from a rolling start.

egSi
06-10-2005, 09:54 AM
some ppl have no idea :rolleyes:

post this in the lude forum and see what u get.

ROLLED
06-10-2005, 11:02 AM
the prelude is a very nice car.. if done up properly..
ive seen some very ugly ones too.

performance wise.. ive seen a prelude vtir take on a fairly stock s15, and was in front all the way from a stand still as well as from a rolling start.

ur joking right? the s15 probably was only going half throttle :cool:

DOHCTR Coopz!
06-10-2005, 11:03 AM
manual preludes rrriiiippp on rolling start & they sure do kick sum serious ass.. no doubt abt it! i got much respect 4 the ludes..

taizon
06-10-2005, 01:12 PM
ur joking right? the s15 probably was only going half throttle :cool:

im serious..

Black Prelude VTIR.. i dont wanna mention any no. plates..

i mean. it wasnt chopping the s15 by a lot.. but u can say it kept up.. at least half a car length in front all the way
the VTIR was prob dun up a lil...

to think about it.. if ppl are saying, if the preludes are lauched properly that they can keep up with a type R..

and Type R's are known to beat or at least keep up with STOCK s15's.. then preludes, if modded correctly, may have a chance with a fairly stock S15 aswel

.. I hope i made some sence..

chicken8
06-10-2005, 01:24 PM
the prelude is a luxury car. its not a sports car to be exact

its got digital climate control, cruise control, power everything, sunroof, carbon fiber inserts, 2 airbags

considering it came out in 1996 its pretty luxurious

the car is made for cruising rather than thrashing. if u took out all the seats, the spare tyre and some weight reduction then it'll be heaps more sporty. say on track days...

theres a huge thread on preludeaustralia.com about how the 1st gear in tiptronic is faster than the 1st gear in manuals. might be an interesting read.

if u want an all out sports car then for the same money get a dc2r or a nissan pulsar VTIR or even a 1996 wrx. if u want style, comfort and cruising then prelude is ur friend.

chicken8
06-10-2005, 01:25 PM
and also pre 1999 preludes were 143kw and 1999-2001 preludes were 147kw

apart from that no real difference

and leather isnt a good choice. cause u'll slip and slide around when u take corners hard. it just doesnt hold u like a cloth trim does

**Ghost**
06-10-2005, 01:59 PM
ludes are nice... old ludes are better htan the new ones, tend to handle better through twisty corners

BigWillieStyles
06-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Prelude is NOT 150kW

147 for JDM, thats pretty dam close.

143 for aus

S15 1/4 mile = 14.6
H22a = 15.0

The only thing is that the S15 has a better launch with RWD. But preludes werent made for racing, they are a car made to enjoy and cruise with the option to boot every now and then. If you want performance get a s14, theyr cheaper.

redliner
06-10-2005, 02:35 PM
147 for JDM, thats pretty dam close.

143 for aus

4th or 5th gen?

JDM is 162kw for 5th gen

BigWillieStyles
06-10-2005, 02:39 PM
4th or 5th gen?

JDM is 162kw for 5th gen

really, shit thats pretty good.