PDA

View Full Version : What Oil to use DC2 type r and resonator???

IRI
28-01-2004, 09:20 PM
What the topic says, what brand and type of oil to use is my car? It's now just done 80000kms if that makes any difference.

thanks

EDIT:
OH, and is they're a detailed explanation of how to remove the Resonator from the stock airbox anywhere on this site?

olda
29-01-2004, 08:23 PM
What the topic says, what brand and type of oil to use is my car? It's now just done 80000kms if that makes any difference.

thanks

EDIT:
OH, and is they're a detailed explanation of how to remove the Resonator from the stock airbox anywhere on this site?

Do not remove the resonator from your ITR! U'll loose power! :P
Oil? The best. Mobil 1 of course. :idea: :idea: :idea:

IRI
29-01-2004, 08:57 PM
"Do not remove the resonator from your ITR! U'll loose power!"

Is there anything you can do to a ITR to MAKE power?????

brucelee
29-01-2004, 10:24 PM
I dun think mobil 1 is the best. coz its too think for type r and I reckon 5w-40w or 5w-30w is the more fit for the R. but anyway, i'm using Motul 300V 5w to 40w and it just so......good!!

Jim80y
29-01-2004, 11:58 PM
If you're willing to pay $80 every 5000 kms for Mobil 1, go for it. If not, pay $45 for Castrol Formula R 5w-30 and you'll be just as happy. I've been using it for a while now and my car has never burned oil when using it. And I really mean never burned oil. Only time it has is at the track, and even then its very little.

brucelee
30-01-2004, 12:34 AM
If you're willing to pay $80 every 5000 kms for Mobil 1, go for it. If not, pay $45 for Castrol Formula R 5w-30 and you'll be just as happy. I've been using it for a while now and my car has never burned oil when using it. And I really mean never burned oil. Only time it has is at the track, and even then its very little.

I have seen this oil for a while on the shelf and the pack look is pretty godod but never bare to try. u said u'll be just happy with that. so it must be doin' a good job but in what sort?? I mean better reponse? or what??
can ya make it a bit more clear?? bro!

Jim80y
30-01-2004, 12:45 AM
It's fully synthetic. I've had mobil 1 in my car before but burnt a little, car felt the same as when i had castrol formula r, but with castrol I don't burn oil. I went from Honda FEO 10W-30 -> Mobil 1 5w-50 -> Castrol Formula R 5w-30. Then tried Mobil 1 but found that Castrol did the same job as the Mobil at a much lower cost.

soul4real
30-01-2004, 10:17 AM
Would Castrol R work as good with a DC2

whtdc2
30-01-2004, 02:19 PM
I dun think mobil 1 is the best. coz its too think for type r and I reckon 5w-40w or 5w-30w is the more fit for the R. but anyway, i'm using Motul 300V 5w to 40w and it just so......good!!
Please tell me where i can get 300V 5W-40 in Melboure, thanks

ginganggooly
30-01-2004, 02:30 PM

where do you get the formula R from for that price?!?
i've been getting ripped hard!

Spunkymonkey
30-01-2004, 03:41 PM

where do you get the formula R from for that price?!?
i've been getting ripped hard!

slim, there is a few viscosity grades for formula R. Your probably using the 10 - 60 which is the one I used prior to my previous oil change.

I was quite happy with the 10 - 60, but it is like $60 a bottle. (Mobil 1 isn't much cheaper these days). Back to Mobil 1 for me, cause Mum bought a stack of bottles.

I also notice that I burn a bit more oil with Mobil 1 than the castrol but they both work ok for me.

Having said that, the main reason I wouldn't buy 10 - 30 or 0 - 40 grade (which some people recommend) of Mobil 1 is that it costs like $20 a litre!

and bruce...why do you think mobil 1 is too thick for itr?

ginganggooly
30-01-2004, 04:36 PM
no, not using 10w60... i would have thought that was a tad on the thick side for our cars. i've been using formula r 5w-30. i'd like to buy it for $45 a bottle too ;)

Spunkymonkey
30-01-2004, 04:45 PM
no, not using 10w60... i would have thought that was a tad on the thick side for our cars. i've been using formula r 5w-30. i'd like to buy it for $45 a bottle too ;)

I tried it because hitman recommended it a while ago - he uses it in his triple rotor and swears by it.

Ummm.....supercheap....they sell it about that price

eknine
30-01-2004, 07:55 PM
motul is an option you might like to consider too:)

and Castrol Formula R too:)...

and nothing wrong with FEO if you change on time/regularly

olda
30-01-2004, 09:48 PM
The Mobil 1 oil has an ideal viscosity range 5W - 50W and is 100% syntetic.
Yes, you could burn a little because it's thinner than other oils. However, it gives an excellent protection at colds starts, when the maximum wear & tear on your engine occurs. Also, when going gets tough and other oils will thicken up, the Mobil 1 doesn't, thank's to its wide viscosity range.
No, i don't work for Mobil, but have been using it since 1986. :thumbsup:
BTW, it can be bought quite often for $60.00 (5 litres) at K-Mart, when on special. And don't forget "quality never comes cheap"! :idea:

brucelee
31-01-2004, 12:10 AM
just wondering where is the resonator???

olda
31-01-2004, 01:24 PM
"Do not remove the resonator from your ITR! U'll loose power!"

Is there anything you can do to a ITR to MAKE power?????

To get more HP's from ITR motor will cost u "arm & leg" and probably one or both of your testicles thrown in aswell.
However, it could be done.
First u must decide how driveable u want your ITR t/b.
Mild camshafts, custom intake, complete custom catback exhaust and
a tunable ECU should give u around 20kw atw and an acceptable idle.
Cost? ~ 5-6K.
I'm currently in process of organising budget to do "the above".
If u demand more, then car's driveability will suffer and so will your bank balance. ~ 50kw atw will set u back ~8-10K.
Also at that stage the turbo charging becomes an option. :idea: