PDA

View Full Version : how good is audio boss

ah789454
28-01-2004, 09:47 PM
hey peeps

just a quick question. on a scale from 1 to 10 how would you rate audio BOSS sound gear? cos every seems to make fun of them.

vti-2
28-01-2004, 09:59 PM
How long is a piece of string?

What are you comparing it to? Which gear in particular?

If you are comparing a Boss amp to an Alpine or Audison it's a -10. If you compare it to a Jaycar it might be a 2 or 3.

Be more specific. If you want my honest opinion, steer clear of that brand. Save your money and spend it on something else cause that brand (Boss) is shit.

euro77
29-01-2004, 06:50 AM
Well, like most people say, you get what you paid for. A 1000 w amp for under $200? go figure :lol:

bumthology
29-01-2004, 06:58 AM
hey howcome ur dissing jaycar for?
their stuff is excellent value for money, if not one of the best value for money

Jaycar amp for $335 puts out 480wrms (tested), how can you beat that
i had one of them and recently replaced it with an alpine 600wrms.. the sound quality difference aint even noticeable but the alpine goes a bit louder, as it has more watts
the jaycar got me 138.6 db with music beats.. and my sub in sealed enclosure...see if u can beat that =P

poid
29-01-2004, 07:32 AM
Lets see, a mate of mine lost 3 subs because his Boss amp shat itself after a year. He's never touching them again...

he wasnt 'dissing' Jaycar, he was saying that a Boss amp compares more favourably to a Jaycar amp compared to an Alpine for example. However the Boss is still only 2 or 3 out of 10 compared to the Jaycar.

The difference between Jaycar and other amps is their build quality and things like their crossovers (which can be total and utter shite depending on the amp). But they are certainly a good budget amp

Fhrx
29-01-2004, 07:39 AM
Can we go into negatives?

Rowie
29-01-2004, 08:52 AM
In my opinion and experience with boss audio.... they make some good AMPS (the ones over $300).... but pretty much all of their subs are pretty poor.

:D

Chi
29-01-2004, 09:28 AM
i have a boss amp for my 6x10's, it goes pretty hard, had em for over 4 months and still working good.

madgrk
29-01-2004, 09:51 AM
Ive installed a few and cant say that they are "good", but also on the same token couldnt say they are "shit". They work, but they aren't for the car enthusiast. They DO overheat a lot though I must say that. So I wouldnt be running them in an enclosed area (i.e under a seat etc) If I were to buy one, i'd save some more $$ and just buy a Jaycar. IMHO they are a great product with proof to back it up (ask bumthology for his dB scores).

Theo

LUD02C
29-01-2004, 09:51 AM
When i was getting my Audison installed at FHRX's place, i opened my old BOSS amp which i had running my old 2 x 10" subs and i blew it within 2 weeks!

Everything inside is dodgy, the wires are all crossed...
I took a photo, i'll try and find it and post it...

Jaycar isn't that bad, but once you have had quality you can never go back!
Audison all the way!

Out of 10 i'll give the Boss 1.5 thats from experience!

Audison i give 10 :D

Jason

vti-2
29-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Jaycar isn't that bad, but once you have had quality you can never go back!
Audison all the way!

Audison i give 10 :D

That's right. I used to have an Audison VRx 6.420, i could never go back to a shit amp.

bumthology
29-01-2004, 01:43 PM
In my opinion, if u want to buy car audio gear,

decide on a budget and stick to it !
I've had let see..probably 9 amps in my car audio days.. cos i keep wanting to get better..
I reckon u should save up for something decent instead of buying something shit to begin with and spending more later to get that lil' much better.

Boss is okay if you just wanna listen to music, and people who blow them probably do so because they put their amps under too much load, my mate has a boss, he's got bass, he's happy =\

Javed
31-01-2004, 12:34 PM
Absolute shit, dont go near them. Response/Jaycar amps are much more value for money. Then if you can raise the bar a little higher maybe try cadence, or coustic gear. HTH :)